Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2018 3:07:55 PM EDT

I bought this recently and from the photos it didn't look like this. Is there any way of cleaning this? If not should i just return it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#1]
If it is on the inside you can try shaking the scope hard and seeing if it will break loose.

Some scope designs have a little layer of grease or something sticky inside to try and trap any contaminants or loose debris.

Other than that you are screwed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Would using compressed air be okay?
Link Posted: 9/5/2018 1:32:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't see the picture, but mine also seems to be dusted on the interior lens surface.  Was considering blowing nitrogen into the tritium capsule compartment in an effort to blow it loose (and hopefully, out), after I obtain another vial.
Link Posted: 9/7/2018 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I read something years back from US Optics re black flecks on the inside of their scope lenses. Basically, it was expected that a fleck of anodizing or whatever could stick to the glass, but after some shooting time the flecks were supposed to come off and stick to internal grease. I had something similar happen to a Weaver Tactical and I just sent it in for warranty service and they cleaned it. Just try shooting it for a while.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read something years back from US Optics re black flecks on the inside of their scope lenses. Basically, it was expected that a fleck of anodizing or whatever could stick to the glass, but after some shooting time the flecks were supposed to come off and stick to internal grease. I had something similar happen to a Weaver Tactical and I just sent it in for warranty service and they cleaned it. Just try shooting it for a while.
View Quote
^^^^^
THIS.

However, recoil from 5.56 and 7.62 won't necessarily be enough to get the debris to bounce off the glass and stick to what grease may be inside the scope.  US Optics also used to suggest whacking the scope hard against a phonebook to dislodge debris inside the scope.  I've owned and used USO scopes, and they can definitely take this abuse.  DISCLAIMER:  I've never owned an ELCAN nor am I suggesting they can't take this, but you do so at your own risk.

Keith
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top