Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2018 5:55:30 AM EDT
Anyone out there use a Vortex Venom on a rifle? Seems like the vast majority of people use them on pistols but I’m looking for a open red dot for a home defense rifle.

Tempted to check out some of the better reviewed sub $100 open red dots out there but if the Venom works well on a rifle I’ll probably just skip the trial and error and go with a quality brand.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:30:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I want to put that size sight on a Beretta CX4. I have a Venom on a Glock 17 and I like it for a range gun.

Here is my line of thought though for a defense weapon (carbine/pistol/whatever) I like to leave sights on if the role of the gun is a defensive weapon.

From Vortex's site about the Venom:
14-hour auto-shutdown feature maximizes battery life. Up to 150 hours of use at highest setting. Use at lower settings can allow up to 30,000 hours. I haven't tested it but even though the battery will last up to 30k hours it will still need to be turned on again after 14 hours.

The Burris fastfire 3 auto shuts down after 8 hours

The Leupold Deltapoint pro is probably what I will go with. Proprietary MST (Motion Sensor Technology) automatically deactivates illumination after 5 minutes of inactivity, yet reactivates instantly as soon as any movement is detected. but I don't know the life span of the battery, still researching that aspect.

Or you can go Trijicon RMR

If having the sight on and ready to go isn't important to you then pick one in your budget and rock on.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 9:43:01 AM EDT
[#2]
'budget' 'mini RDS' and 'home defense rifle' shouldn't be involved in the same purchase IMO.

If you want a mini RDS on an HD carbine, fine, but don't skimp. RMR or DPP with leanings to RMR. I have both. The RMR has worse optical quality, but is seemingly more robust.

Or, you can do budget and HD carbine, but I would use a well-proven enclosed traditional RDS.

Speed, Reliability, Cheap = 'budget' 'mini RDS' and 'home defense rifle'

Pick 2.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the venom on my g19. I love it but the brass is killing the optic.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top