Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2018 1:25:26 PM EDT
Getting my first Ar-15 and i'm looking for ideas on sights, I mostly intend to Coyote Hunt with the rifle, I have looked at the Nikon P-223 as well as a few others, Not looking to break the bank, Please give me some ideas on what would be good!

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard decent feedback on the Nikon scopes for the money.

What's your budget?  That's probably the biggest factor.  There are big differences between a $200 scope, a $600 scope, and a $1,000+ scope.  General rule is to buy the best that you can afford.  For me, I've stuck with mostly $300 - $600 optics and have been pretty happy.

SWFA has a new Ultralight 2.5-10x32 scope for hunting that only weighs 9.5 oz for $350.  Seems like a good hunting option if you like a simple duplex reticle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:29:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Coyote scopes should have great glass and a useable reticle, for me that means FFP. It's probably more than you want to spend, but my suggestion is the Vortex PST gen2 2-10x or 3-15x in mrad and FFP. Glass is awesome, knobs are good sized for easy dialing even with gloves, and ffp is a must for fast dialing/holdovers at any magnification.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard decent feedback on the Nikon scopes for the money.

What's your budget?  That's probably the biggest factor.  There are big differences between a $200 scope, a $600 scope, and a $1,000+ scope.
View Quote
Ya im looking in the $200 range or so, that's why i have liked the Nikon
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Primary Arms has some excellent ACSS Reticle scopes for hunting with ranging estimation and wind holds built in.  They have a variety of reticle options to choose from.

ACSS Scopes

I've got a 4-14 that I've been using for prairie dogs for the past couple of years and it's been awesome.  (I use it with a range finder on p-dogs, but it has ranging circles that work on coyotes)
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 2:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ya im looking in the $200 range or so, that's why i have liked the Nikon
View Quote
200 is really limiting your options.  Based on my experience, I actually prefer LPV (low power variables) because most the time I'm calling, the yotes pop out of nowhere within 200 yards and I need to shoot quickly. But I suppose the terrain and hunting method will dictate whether or not that applies to you.

I have experience with Nikon BDC's and personally don't like them.  I find the circular reticles too imprecise/too large/too think.

I suggest shopping the used Equipment Exchange and see what you can find.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
This sounds perfect.

Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP Riflescope

FFP and the EBR 2C reticle, should be an awesome optic.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/diamondback_tactical_riflescopes
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

We have an ACSS reticle called "Predator" that is dedicated to coyote hunting. The concept is, the BDC consists of circles that measure 10" which is a very common belly-to-back measurement for adult coyotes. You find which circle fits Wyle E. belly to back, and just fire, because if you are ranging using that section of his body you are already on target for a humane behind-the-front-leg kill shot. Auto ranging correlated with BDC for common calibers. There's nothing faster, but it's second focal plane so you have to be at 6x for it to work. Turn it down to 1x if you're anticipating one popping out of the treeline at 50 or 100 yards and you won't need the BDC functionality (trade it for sight acquisition speed at 1x).

The reticle is illuminated in red or green which is usual for us, but we went with that because a lot of hunters like to spotlight a coyote with red light, and their eyes tend to glow red in low light anyway. Having a green reticle option helps contrast and avoid potential confusion in those situations.

PA 1-6x24 SFP with ACSS Predator reticle

The scope costs $289 with a lifetime warranty. Betcha can't find another dedicated coyote reticle in that price range.

Here's a diagram I made up for the manual. This coyote fits belly-to-back in the second circle down, so he's 400 yards away. This would be the firing position, unless he's moving there's no need to shift the scope or touch the turrets and you would fire with him in that position in the reticle at 400 yards.

https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/PA1-6X24SFP-ACSS-PREDATOR_11.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000

You can also see that the reticle is designed for wild hog headshots, since their skulls generally measure about 10" as adults. Same method of use except it's headshot city on those stinkers.
View Quote
Damn.  Is that new Mike?  I haven't seen this model.  Very well thought out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

200 is really limiting your options.  Based on my experience, I actually prefer LPV (low power variables) because most the time I'm calling, the yotes pop out of nowhere within 200 yards and I need to shoot quickly. But I suppose the terrain and hunting method will dictate whether or not that applies to you.

I have experience with Nikon BDC's and personally don't like them.  I find the circular reticles too imprecise/too large/too think.

I suggest shopping the used Equipment Exchange and see what you can find.
View Quote
Sent you a PM,
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 12:12:02 AM EDT
[#11]
personal experience coyotes dont stand broadside and let you range them and dial range and windage .  ffp is a bad idea you need crosshairs you can see when a coyote comes busting out at 50 yds in a dead run .  I do have a primary arms 1x6 with the acss reticle for 300 blackout / 7.62x39 and tested it out to 300 yds on a coyote target that was 75% life size . I put 10 shots in the kill zone with a wasr-10 ak for your budget I would take a closer look at their predator line of 1x6 optics
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a 3X9 Nikon on one of my 20" HBAR clones and it is a really nice bright and clear scope.  Better than the Simmons, Primary Arms or Bushnell scopes in the same price range.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Lots of good suggestions herein.  I've been dealing with yotes around my property for 10-15 years.  Very rarely do I get a shot during daytime.

Went cheap end of NV with the ATN X-sight.  Whole setup cost about $550 and 98% of my yote hunting is done at night.

Works for me pretty well.  Would love to have a Thermal but thats down the road a ways.

Got this guy last week

Attachment Attached File

got this guy last winter.

Attachment Attached File

ETA - I dont like all the "extras" like FFP, Windage notches, etc. etc.  I simply zero at 50.  I'm an inch high at 100 and maybe half inch high at 150, back on zero at 200.  Keeping it simple works better for me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Coyote scopes should have great glass and a useable reticle, for me that means FFP. It's probably more than you want to spend, but my suggestion is the Vortex PST gen2 2-10x or 3-15x in mrad and FFP. Glass is awesome, knobs are good sized for easy dialing even with gloves, and ffp is a must for fast dialing/holdovers at any magnification.
View Quote
Why FFP for hunting, especially on a low powered variable like a 2-10? The reticle on my XTR II 2-10 is too small to be useful for hunting until you hit 4-5x.  Most coyote hunters are not going to use the reticle for ranging. For long shots, I prefer a rangefinder.  My rifle is zero’d at 200 yards anyway, so there is no need to range out to 300 yards, and if the shot is far enough that you need to hold for windage, if you have a SFP scope, it’s going to be set to the highest magnification so you can hold for wind anyway.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Depends on your AO.

In the open farmland I used to hunt, I hunted coyote hard and they were very wary and smart.  I don't think I ever shot one less than 175 yards.  300 was about the average.

A cheap scope and an AR15 and I never would have shot even one.

I used a custom heavy barreled Remington 700 with a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X56. Rear focal plane.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We have an ACSS reticle called "Predator" that is dedicated to coyote hunting. The concept is, the BDC consists of circles that measure 10" which is a very common belly-to-back measurement for adult coyotes. You find which circle fits Wyle E. belly to back, and just fire, because if you are ranging using that section of his body you are already on target for a humane behind-the-front-leg kill shot. Auto ranging correlated with BDC for common calibers. There's nothing faster, but it's second focal plane so you have to be at 6x for it to work. Turn it down to 1x if you're anticipating one popping out of the treeline at 50 or 100 yards and you won't need the BDC functionality (trade it for sight acquisition speed at 1x).

The reticle is illuminated in red or green which is usual for us, but we went with that because a lot of hunters like to spotlight a coyote with red light, and their eyes tend to glow red in low light anyway. Having a green reticle option helps contrast and avoid potential confusion in those situations.

PA 1-6x24 SFP with ACSS Predator reticle

The scope costs $289 with a lifetime warranty. Betcha can't find another dedicated coyote reticle in that price range.

Here's a diagram I made up for the manual. This coyote fits belly-to-back in the second circle down, so he's 400 yards away. This would be the firing position, unless he's moving there's no need to shift the scope or touch the turrets and you would fire with him in that position in the reticle at 400 yards.

https://www.primaryarms.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%20Mont%20Blanc/Development/img/PA1-6X24SFP-ACSS-PREDATOR_11.jpg?resizeid=7&resizeh=0&resizew=2000

You can also see that the reticle is designed for wild hog headshots, since their skulls generally measure about 10" as adults. Same method of use except it's headshot city on those stinkers.
View Quote
Where is the scope made?
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Primary Arms has some excellent ACSS Reticle scopes for hunting with ranging estimation and wind holds built in.  They have a variety of reticle options to choose from.

ACSS Scopes

I've got a 4-14 that I've been using for prairie dogs for the past couple of years and it's been awesome.  (I use it with a range finder on p-dogs, but it has ranging circles that work on coyotes)
View Quote
I second PA and the ACSS family of reticles. Like Holosun is to red dots, Primary Arms is the best value in scopes out on the market.

I happened to watch this video yesterday. Should give you a very good idea about their new hunter oriented reticles...

Sub $300 "Ready to Hunt" Optics from Primary Arms
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Where is the scope made?
View Quote
China.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 3:37:03 PM EDT
[#19]
For 200, a PA 4-14 is probably your best bet, but like Sam said, $200 glass is going to really limit you.   Maybe you could find a used Leupold 4-12 for that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I have always been a Leupold guy. They are indestructible and have a lifetime warranty. Vortex is also making some good products at a decent price point. Another is Maven. They are making new  great products direct to consumer at a low price point for good glass.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/home/leupold-riflescopes/pc/105625080/c/369163980/leupold-reg-mark-ar-mod-riflescope/1573139.uts?slotId=1
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Getting my first Ar-15 and i'm looking for ideas on sights, I mostly intend to Coyote Hunt with the rifle, I have looked at the Nikon P-223 as well as a few others, Not looking to break the bank, Please give me some ideas on what would be good!

Thanks!
View Quote
Terrain? If long shots, I would go 4x12 Leupold at a minimum. Firedot if you can afford it.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 7:51:33 AM EDT
[#22]
A large objective end lens can help low light brightness - but it's not a guarantee of getting it.

I wish more scope manufacturers would post the light transmission percentage in their specs on their web sites.

My best low light scope is an old (mid 70's) 4X12 Busnhell with a 40mm objective lens, set on 4X.  Amazing what you can see in the dark with that scope.
My second best is a newer Bushnell 3X12 with the European reticle set to 3X.  It has a 56 mm objective lens.  Again, it's amazing.

Recently I bought another Bushnell (different model but a 56mm objective lens) and it not nearly as bright/good as the previous two scopes.  Sort of a waste money but I may keep it.

My third best scope is that Nikon 3X9 with the 40mm objective lens set to 3X.

I bought a 2.5X10 Simmons with a 50 MM objective lens that is worthless in low light conditions.

I bought my youngest son an older BDC Bushnell 4X12 with a 40 mm objective lens that was also a great disappointment.

I can't tell you how to get good low light vision through a scope.  I just know some are amazine and some are strictly daylight scopes.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Based on your need, I would shop around.  I got a Leupold VX1 cheaper than a Redfield on closeout.

It is on a Ruger American Ranch Rifle in 7.62X39mm.  It works really well.
Link Posted: 8/24/2018 2:27:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Why FFP for hunting, especially on a low powered variable like a 2-10? The reticle on my XTR II 2-10 is too small to be useful for hunting until you hit 4-5x.  Most coyote hunters are not going to use the reticle for ranging. For long shots, I prefer a rangefinder.  My rifle is zero’d at 200 yards anyway, so there is no need to range out to 300 yards, and if the shot is far enough that you need to hold for windage, if you have a SFP scope, it’s going to be set to the highest magnification so you can hold for wind anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a perfect situation, yes you should be zoomed all the way in if you're planning on dialing or holding over. I like FFP for the simplicity of it. No matter what zoom you're at, your reticle is always the same in relation to the target. So if you ranged that rock out there earlier and know it's a 2.4mil hold, you can make the shot with a quick holdover and any zoom setting. I like that.

It's all preference, I recently bought a SFP moa scope, which I havnet done in years, and I really wish it was FFP mil. I like to keep everything as simple as possible and have all my optics ffp mil.
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's all preference, I recently bought a SFP moa scope, which I havnet done in years, and I really wish it was FFP mil. I like to keep everything as simple as possible and have all my optics ffp mil.
View Quote
I agree with this.  I'm getting older, making quick calculations is getting harder.  No way I could keep track of two systems and try to keep all that straight while ranging/holding elevation/wind/lead on a moving coyote.  I can barely keep up with Mil/Mil, which is all I've used since I came off of the Kentucky system and a duplex.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top