Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2018 11:58:58 AM EDT
Im looking for, an ideally, 1-8 scope for an LMT 5.56. It is a grunt, do-all rifle I shoot in close quarters (25-50 yds), but I also want to have with me when I go to the long range and ring steel at 400-750. I also like to shoot groups at 100, 200, 300. So im looking for a LPVO. I think im down to the Vortex Razor, Kahles, and NF NX8 (but im open to others).

I think Im gravitating towards the NF - the only downside im seeing is the eye-box is unforgiving at higher mags and only usable from a bench/prone. Is this overblown a bit or is that the truth?
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, since you can only shoot small groups from a bench or prone does it really matter? Its not like you are shooting 300 yard sub moa groups kneeling or off hand.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Why-are-most-1-6x-LPVO-SFP-instead-of-FFP-/18-730224/

I would read the bottom post, I've read it multiple times in different posts. Still good info every time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 12:08:53 AM EDT
[#4]
For 1-8x, it’s either the NF NX8 or the Trijicon AccuPower. Some folks here have a tendency to compare 6x specifications to the 8x NF offering. Not apples to apples. If you don’t need the 8x, just dial it back. Now because of the AccuPower 34mm tube you obviously get the slightly better exit pupil, which is actually more noticeable at 1x than it is 8x. The NF ATACR is 34mm tube but I think for a LPV the the NX8 reticle is more usable.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 6:15:19 AM EDT
[#5]
I would roll with the 1-8 accupower in RED. It is daylight bright and has excellent clarity. And in my opinion a good eyebox. I use it in 3gun and i’ve shot it with vtac barricades at targets and shot it out to 400 yds on C zone steel down to 10 inch plates. I say get the red because the green is not as bright. They really did a good job with it. When you want to shoot for tight groups I say turn the illumination off. It’s a .75 moa thick crosshair that is 4 moa long by 4 moa long. Some people say it’s too big but it’s right about the same as the razor 1-6 if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 9:26:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For 1-8x, it’s either the NF NX8 or the Trijicon AccuPower. Some folks here have a tendency to compare 6x specifications to the 8x NF offering. Not apples to apples. If you don’t need the 8x, just dial it back. Now because of the AccuPower 34mm tube you obviously get the slightly better exit pupil, which is actually more noticeable at 1x than it is 8x. The NF ATACR is 34mm tube but I think for a LPV the the NX8 reticle is more usable.
View Quote
Tube size has no impact on exit pupil size. Thats is purely a result of magnification vs objective size. A scope with a 24mm objective lens at 6x with 1" tube and 6x with a 34mm tube, will both have 4mm exit pupils. Tube size gives more room for adjustments. You gain the ability to dial more elevation and windage. Neither of those are issues at under 600 yards with 1" tubes, neither are an issue with 30mm tubes under 800-1000 yards, depending on caliber and barrel length. Past 1000, you need a 34mm tube... or a 20 MOA base. Past 1200 yards you need both a 34mm tube AND a 20 MOA base. The ability to NOT have to shoot on the lens edge at closer ranges with a steep base is another benefit of a larger tube. Exit pupil size is not one, though.
Link Posted: 8/9/2018 3:58:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Nightforce NX8, Trijicon Accupower 1-8x, or Vortex Razor 1-6x... can't go wrong with any of these.  I personally own the Trijicon 1-8x, have had some time behind the Razor, and have gotten the chance to look over an NX8 and my personal choice would be the trijicon (hence why I own one).  The 1x is perfect, the reticle is great for stuff inside 100y, the red illuminated version is bright enough (not as bright as the NF or Vortex but it is bright enough to work as intended... I don't feel slighted), I like the locking turrets on the accupower... it has been an all around good performer if you ask me.  Although I haven't had enough time with the NX8 to really give a good review, it is on my list purely off of reputation, my experience with other NF models, and the fact it is 8oz lighter than the trijicon.  Do I think that makes it $1k more... probably not... depends on your financial sitch I guess.  Can't go wrong with the vortex razor but if you are going out to 750, the extra power of a 1-8 might be nice and the capped turrets on the vortex may not be ideal.
Link Posted: 8/10/2018 3:13:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nightforce NX8, Trijicon Accupower 1-8x, or Vortex Razor 1-6x... can't go wrong with any of these.  I personally own the Trijicon 1-8x, have had some time behind the Razor, and have gotten the chance to look over an NX8 and my personal choice would be the trijicon (hence why I own one).  The 1x is perfect, the reticle is great for stuff inside 100y, the red illuminated version is bright enough (not as bright as the NF or Vortex but it is bright enough to work as intended... I don't feel slighted), I like the locking turrets on the accupower... it has been an all around good performer if you ask me.  Although I haven't had enough time with the NX8 to really give a good review, it is on my list purely off of reputation, my experience with other NF models, and the fact it is 8oz lighter than the trijicon.  Do I think that makes it $1k more... probably not... depends on your financial sitch I guess.  Can't go wrong with the vortex razor but if you are going out to 750, the extra power of a 1-8 might be nice and the capped turrets on the vortex may not be ideal.
View Quote
Yep, the Accupower 1-8x with red illum is too-often overlooked. Also of note is the Accupower's 28mm objective vs 24mm for most LPVOs.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top