Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/12/2018 12:07:51 PM EDT
Are these any good or not? I'm looking for some quality flip up caps for my Vortex Razor HD 1-6 and the reviews I see online are all over the place. A lot of good reviews saying they fit great and also a lot of reviews saying they are loose and move and slide around just from opening the cap unless you use two hands. I wasn't going to spend $100 on Aadmount flip ups if I didn't have to but if that's my only option I will.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have my caps flip down, not up.  Up or sideways blocks too much of my field of view.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 5:11:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate them. They are held on by a stretchy skirt. After a day of field work they are all wonky and off-center. Imagine a flip cap held in place by a sock.

Butler Creek caps are cheaper and work better IMHO. Mash them down and they stay in place.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate them. They are held on by a stretchy skirt. After a day of field work they are all wonky and off-center. Imagine a flip cap held in place by a sock.

Butler Creek caps are cheaper and work better IMHO. Mash them down and they stay in place.
View Quote
+1

I HAD them on my Vortex PST gen II
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:50:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys. I have some old Butler Creek caps on a Leupold Mark 4 M3 10X that sits on my M24 sniper rifle and have never had a problem with them. I thought maybe their quality went downhill with some newer reviews I'd seen on them which is why I wasn't considering them.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:22:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a pair, and I fucking hate them. The cover would pop open on the slightest bump.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 11:40:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I don’t know about the smaller diameter offerings but I have the Defenders on my 56mm precision rifle scope and I like them much better than Butler. They fit better and deploy very positive. They have a stop at 12 o’clock position or can be folded all the way back. DOPE disc for objective is good feature too.  I love them. But some folks hate them. YMMV.

However if you want the best and money is no object, get a set from AAD Mount. They put Butler and Vortex to shame.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#7]
I've destroyed dozens of BC flip caps.  Butler Creek is utter crap.

If the Defenders are a little too loose for you, layer a few layers of duct tape underneath the cap on the scope body and then slide the cover over it to increase tension.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:23:19 AM EDT
[#10]
So far so good for me. Way better than shitty butler creek
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 2:08:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So far so good for me. Way better than shitty butler creek
View Quote
This. I love them.

I especially love that when you pop the eyepiece open it flips all the way back and locks tight against the top of the scope. Huge improvement over butler creek if you ask me.

Mine fit perfectly snug on both of my PST Gen 2s! If you have issues with it not fitting snug make sure you have the right size. If you do and they're still too lose, just get a smaller size. It's not rocket science guys.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 3:55:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have my caps flip down, not up.  Up or sideways blocks too much of my field of view.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#13]
The Vortex Defenders fit great on my former Razor and I had no problem keeping them shut. There were only two negatives in my opinion. The first was that the rubber texture was a magnet for dust at the range. It was like glue for pollen and dirt. The second thing was that they narrowed he FOV on the Razor, and that was my biggest gripe. The thing I loved the most about the Razor was the huge wide FOV, especially at 1x, and the caps created this black ring around the edges that was never present without them.

I'm going to buy a different kind of scope caps for the Crossfire II 4-12x on my 10/22 that I just rebuild completely, I just don't know which ones yet.

And while I'm here, the BC scope caps are hot garbage.
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 11:39:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The Vortex Defenders fit great on my former Razor and I had no problem keeping them shut. There were only two negatives in my opinion. The first was that the rubber texture was a magnet for dust at the range. It was like glue for pollen and dirt. The second thing was that they narrowed he FOV on the Razor, and that was my biggest gripe. The thing I loved the most about the Razor was the huge wide FOV, especially at 1x, and the caps created this black ring around the edges that was never present without them.

I'm going to buy a different kind of scope caps for the Crossfire II 4-12x on my 10/22 that I just rebuild completely, I just don't know which ones yet.

And while I'm here, the BC scope caps are hot garbage.
View Quote
Thank you everyone for the replies. The narrowing of the field of view is one that I hadn't heard of before and I need to take that into consideration now as I agree, the FOV on the Razor is awesome. Well I guess while we're on the subject I should've also asked about Tenebraex flip up covers. Not the killflash covers but just the plain covers. Where do you guys rate them?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top