Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2018 3:07:27 PM EDT
Yesterday I received a package by return mail from Leupold.

I had sent in a hunting scope -- Leupold LPS 2.5-10x45mm for warranty repair about 3 weeks earlier.  It was purchased new by me 15 years ago or so from SWFA  It saw heavy use deer hunting.  Recently some part in the eyepiece, probably something like a rubber seal or gasket hardened or loosened causing the eyepiece to wobble when moving the fast focus ring.  This affected the reticle position in the field of view and was changing the point of impact. Even bumping the ring changed the position of the reticle in relationship to the target.   So, I notified Leupold and followed their recommendation on the process to send it in.  I paid shipping one way.

Well, when I opened the box last night, I found that they no longer had the part needed to fix the wobbly eyepiece.  The substituted.   I was stunned -- very pleasantly.

The new scope is the Leupold VX6 HD 2-12x42mm CDS-ZL2 with Firedot Duplex reticle.

This is their current state of the art 30mm main tube hunting scope.  This scope has exposed MOA low profile tactical turrets with zero lock/stop. A free turret upgrade for turret knobs calibrated for specific load ballistics is available if I desire.  The Firedot is fully daylight bright.  I have another scope with a Firedot reticle, but did not expect this replacement scope to have that feature.  6x zoom from 2-12x is perfect for hunting.  This morning, I got my first view through the scope at distant optics.  This is very, very good glass.

The list price on the scope is over $1800 (which nobody pays), and typical street price is in the $1300-$1400 range.

This is my first experience with a Leupold warranty claim.  I did send a scope in many years ago (probably 20 or so) that I had damaged in a hard fall on rock.  I expected them to charge me, but they repaired for free, even though it was not their fault.

I did not know what to expect with this true warranty claim.  I'm delighted to say the least.  As good as the LPS was in its day, this scope is far better than an "equivalent."
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, that’s the hunting scope I would like to have!
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 3:59:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Wah hoo, dude!

Buy good optics with a lifetime warranty - get good service.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
That's an awesome upgrade.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Given how well that turned out, I'm thinking about paying their Custom Shop to install some sort of MOA reticle in place of the simple duplex and possibly go "tactical" with it.  I don't know what options are available.  I was expecting a VX3i or at best a lower end 2-10x VX5 HD.

I don't know what they would charge for a reticle change, but given that I got a new vastly better scope in exchange for a broken 15+ year old one, I'm way ahead of the game.

It even came with a removable reversible throw lever and nice fold flat all metal Alumina front and rear lens covers.

Maybe I'l run it with an offset dot.   I feel like a kid at Christmas.

At first blush it is optically up there with a Kahles Helia CL scope I have on another rifle in terms of brightness and fine detail resolution.  I need to spend some time behind it at varying distances to truly form an opinion, though.  Of course, I've not had a chance to see how the turrets track.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 7:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Good for you...we're all envious :-)
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure other companies with full lifetime warranties have similar customer service and replacement policies if they no longer have the parts on a legacy scope.  I just wanted to report the experience because I was so pleasantly surprised with what seems to be a rather dramatic upgrade.

The LPS was their premier hunting scope at the time, and it did compete with the best European scopes at that time.  But time marches on and "top of the line" today far exceeds the features and capabilities of the old scope.  What this does tell me is that when Leupold must substitute, you can expect to get something good and that the turn around time was reasonable.

FWIW, it is relatively short in length for its power range. That is good and bad.  I like the size and weight, but this could present some mounting challenges.

For now the scope will go on the same Remington 700 "Mountain Rifle" long action bolt gun to replace the LPS.  In mounting it last night I found that the main tube is barely long enough to permit mounting on the long action, using traditional style bases and separate rings (Talley steel QD return to zero lever rings).  But, it does work.  Only about 1/2 inch to spare in fore-aft movement.  The ring spacing is very wide on such actions without using an extension front base, turned backward.

Fortunately, Leupold did have the eye relief worked out perfectly for such rifles.  Hunters still represent a huge percentage of their customers, so they know them and their needs well.  There was no need to change the front base or go to an action bridge or pic style base.

Of course, if you are mounting this type scope on an AR or a tactical bolt gun with a pic rail or one piece type base, there is no concern whatsoever.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 6:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I got the little VX Hog scope.
Didn't like that the turret covers said "Hog" on them, as this was going on my HD rifle.

I called them up to see how much some plain ones would cost.
Me: "I've got the VX Hog scope and I was wondering if I could get some turret covers....."
C.S. rep: "That don's say Hog on them? What's your mailing address?"

No charge.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Given how well that turned out, I'm thinking about paying their Custom Shop to install some sort of MOA reticle in place of the simple duplex and possibly go "tactical" with it.  I don't know what options are available.  I was expecting a VX3i or at best a lower end 2-10x VX5 HD.

I don't know what they would charge for a reticle change, but given that I got a new vastly better scope in exchange for a broken 15+ year old one, I'm way ahead of the game.

It even came with a removable reversible throw lever and nice fold flat all metal Alumina front and rear lens covers.

Maybe I'l run it with an offset dot.   I feel like a kid at Christmas.

At first blush it is optically up there with a Kahles Helia CL scope I have on another rifle in terms of brightness and fine detail resolution.  I need to spend some time behind it at varying distances to truly form an opinion, though.  Of course, I've not had a chance to see how the turrets track.
View Quote
Unfortunately I already inquired about changing the reticle in that exact scope and they said the only reticles available are the ones that come with that line of optic.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top