Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/13/2018 9:13:23 AM EDT
Let me start with this.  Money is no object in this discussion.  I know that the RDS will cost far more than the BUIS.  Not a factor.

With my RDS guns I have used flip up BUIS with the thought that if the RDS goes down just flip up the BUIS and start rocking.  I am thinking of doing something different on my LPVO's

What do you guys think about skipping the BUIS on an LPVO gun and running a 45 degree RMR on the gun instead?

Pros
No need to remove the optic to use backup sights (BUS)
Increases capability as you can now run the LPVO at higher mag and rotate gun to RDS if needed faster than dialing mag level
Cleans up the front hand guard so that you have more room for IR laser
Using RDS as a BUS is faster if you need to use it than using a BUIS as your BUS  (Holy shit....the acronyms)
Easier to us RDS with NV than BUIS
Still allows redundancy of sighting systems.  Especially if running IR laser which would give you three aiming methods

Cons
The gun is more bulky
It weighs slightly more.  (How much more I don't know but I am sure it is negligible.  Maybe 1oz)
You have to train rotating to the 45 sight.  (I don't feel this is an issue.  I like to shoot and I have trained other habits in the past.)

I am sure someone will say something like batteries or BUIS nothing can go wrong.  I stockpile batteries so I am GTG there.  I feel like a situation that takes out the LPVO and the offset RDS in one swoop probably would have damaged the BUIS as well.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Only an 1oz difference between BUIS & an RDS w/ offset mount... I dont know about that one
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I say try it. I messed around with a 4x ACOG & offset T1 and ended up really liking the setup so I kept it and it's my main competition setup (tactical style 2-gun / centerfire biathlon). I also have backup irons for what it's worth.

Here are my notes:
- It's a "don't touch anything" setup. Leave the T1 on & just look through the optic you want & shoot.
- You have two independent optics, so in theory if one goes down you have the other. In reality, if my optic needs change at some point I'll separate them & put the T1 on something else. Can't do that with a LPVO.
- The T1 & the TA31 are fantastic optics in their own right, that I had experience with before combining them.
- I prefer the offset to the piggyback RMR, but you can't do much with it weak-side shooting.
- It looks bulky, but in use I haven't had any problems, it's offset away from you most of the time. Back-to-front i'ts probably the same length as a LPVO. Everything is mounted to the upper receiver.
- Doesn't feel heavy at all, probably in the same range as a LPVO with mount.
- The T1 takes a beating out there, make sure your optic can handle it.

I've had the LPVO but I could never get into it. I either wanted the ACOG or the red dot for whatever I was doing & never used any of the intermediate magnifications.

Your idea is slightly different, with the ACOG/T1 I can get everything mounted on the upper. I wouldn't have done it with the offset on the handguard. I also wouldn't have done it with an RMR, I just don't like RMR's as rifle optics.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#3]
You're not missing anything, besides the old school aching desire to keep irons on your rifle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:34:56 AM EDT
[#4]
You mean like this?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:55:12 AM EDT
[#5]
That is exactly what I was thinking of.  Nice setup.

The 1 oz difference, I may be off.  I was assuming an RMR and a lightweight mount.

T1 vs RMR?  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#6]
AR-15 5 shots in 1 second with fastest shooter ever, Jerry Miculek (Shoot Fast!)
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Op - your proposed setup is solid. I think an ACOG is a better choice than the LPV for the magnified optic.  A LPV will give you more magnification. But, the eyebox tends to be smaller than an ACOG.  The TA110 is the best choice in my opinion.

Something to consider is having a plan for which optic to use.  Since you have two optics to choose from, you may want to have a foolproof and instantaneous plan for which one to go to under stress.

For me - if I have support, I go to the magnified optic.  If I am shooting offhand, I roll to the 45 degree RMR.  Simple. Clean.  And, it minimizes choices that could potentially slow you down.

Note:  Trijicon has a brand new 45 degree mount for the RMR.  It is the AC32078
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#8]
If you’re gonna do that, why bother with an LPV at all.

You can get an optic 2.5-10 range that will be be far better than the LPV and they’re usually lighter to boot.

I think you’re on the right track.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Is there a good 2.5-10 that has a BDC reticle?

I have the 2.5-10X42 NF with Mil-R on my hunting rifle.  I wish it came in a BDC version.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 6:07:54 PM EDT
[#10]
A RMR in an offset mount (the one from Trijicon) is a total of 3.7oz.

I am currently running a 4x ACOG and an offset RMR on one of my rifles. I like the setup a lot.

I figured why waste the weight on a variable if I am running an offset...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a good 2.5-10 that has a BDC reticle?

I have the 2.5-10X42 NF with Mil-R on my hunting rifle.  I wish it came in a BDC version.

Thanks
View Quote
NF had a Velocity 600 in LV, MV, and HV versions.  There are still some available out there:  https://www.eurooptic.com/nxs-25-10x42mm-zerostop-250-moa-lv-digillum-ptl-c484.aspx

There is a calculator on the website to help you choose the best fit:  http://www.nightforcereticlecalculator.com/Default.aspx
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 6:04:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Beat me to it!  Yes, like that.  And this (except with a Leupold Deltapoint Pro) :

Link Posted: 6/23/2018 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Also posted in another thread:

Came across this thread and had to chime in. I know offset is off topic, but I've stumbled on a setup that I really like. I'm not a runner and gunner per say, so this really has only had bench and prone use. Edit to add that I've tried piggyback, and just couldn't get a steady sight picture.

I'm a fan of the redundant man of redundancy.....one is none, two is one...etc. Something always breaks, or comes loose. Feel free to flame my setup if you think it's stupid.

Ta31 ACSS reticle (love it) in stock mount as far back as possible. In front of that, GG&G 45 degree offset mount with Burris fastfire. In front of that, Magpul offsets. With the GG&G mount, I roll over a little and pickup my red dot. With the irons flipped up, I roll over a little more and pick those up. All three in different planes of view.

I've tried several offset mounts, and found the GG&G allows just a subtle peak to the right. Not sure if it's because they are higher or what. That being said, I can also say I've damaged two crossbolts. One sheared, and I stripped the head of another.

Armalite LTC, that loves the new Hornady 75gr Frontier.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Just wanted to share.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I am not trying to be mean.  But, 3 sights is absurd.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 7:32:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am not trying to be mean.  But, 3 sights is absurd.
View Quote
I know , I'm a bit obsessive compulsive, but I got the irons cheap used, and cost me minimal weight.  Why not?  And it works.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 9:38:03 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a leupold devo as a back up to my red dot, with no iron sights.  I'm happy with it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top