Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/12/2018 2:35:43 AM EDT
I need a scope for accuracy testing of new barrels and builds I complete, and different ammo testing.   Punching holes in paper.
Distance will be 100 - 300 yards

Looking for the smallest dot or crosshair.
MOA,MRAD,MILL doesn't matter, Im no dialing sniper

Not sure what focal plane.
16 -20 max magnification

Was looking at the SWFA and Burris but am open to anything good.
All my Optics so far are VCOG,  Aimpoint Pro, Eotech 553A65, Eotech EXPS 2,  Burris AR536 , Leupold VXR-patrol, BROWE 1-4, SWFA 1-6
VORTEX RAZOR GEN II HD  1-6
BURRIS XTR GEN III 1-5
BURRIS XTR GEN 2  1-4
LEUPOLD VXR 1-6
Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24 BTR1 ET1624SF     
VORTEX VIPER PST 1-4 MOA CAPPED
Trijicon 1-4x24 AccuPower
BURRIS XTR II 1x-8x-24mm Ballistic Dot RFP MAD System Mil

So lots of LPVOs.

Lets keep it under $1k if we can please.    And GO.

@RCC1    because I know you like good things.
@RubiconJk  Was reading your comment on a post you made in the   https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/SWFA-or-vortex-/18-728042/
@Molon    Well Just because
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 3:38:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Since you will be shooting mostly know distances in the 100-300 range, and your going for strictly paper punching, take a look at the Leupold Competition scopes. They are available with the fine duplex or duplex dot, and come in powers up to 40x. Price is right at 1k, used around $750-$800. Very good quality scope and excellent option for your purposes. I use one in the 35x variety when I do my LR load work ups at 200 and 300 yards on precision bolt guns. Once the load is set, I go over to ffp tactical style scopes in the 15x-25x range for shooting unknown distances and across the course matches.
Personal preferences:
Target shooting for groups under 500y
Leupold Competition 35x or 40x
Target shooting at unknown distances past 400y
Nightforce C577

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I agree with Leupold for what you are doing. This is mine
Leupold Competition Series 45x45mm 1/8 min. Target Dot   about $1,099 on amazon
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 12:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Those guys have pointed you in the right direction - high quality glass & coatings, good internals, high magnification, simple reticle.

Let me add this.  The target is as important as the reticle.  Find a target or make your own that allows you to accurately and EASILY align the reticle every single time.  This might be cross in the box, dot in the circle,... whatever.  The idea is to facilitate finding the same point of aim with a minimum of work so as to minimize eye fatigue during a long day of testing.  Remember, you are trying to minimize aiming error at 200 yards.  If you have +/- 1/4" alignment error, this adds to the other shooting errors (such as trigger release and wind doping) and can be seen in the group size.

If you and your loads are good to +/- 1/4 MOA to +/- 1/2 MOA, this sight alignment error can become significant.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Leica ER5 3.5-15x56 is available for $665 from scopelist.

I have the 2-10x50 and it’s a nice piece of glass.   Bright and clear.

15 is on the lower end of the magnification you want for accuracy testing tho.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top