Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2018 5:08:10 AM EDT
Anyone running these here? I went to look at a couple of the AR based Leupolds that run about 500 buck than came across this for 300 which from in the store seems like a steal but playing with one at the gun counter aint exactly telling so does anyone have one out there?
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#1]
If your budget is up to $500 my choices would be

Steiner P4XI- Can be had on sale under $500 and offers best glass and reticle illumination in its class.  It's a 1x4, but assuming the Leupold you were looking at were close to that as well

Burris RT6- 1x6 around $350 best glass in this price range

Primary Arms 1x6-  $269 Similar to the Strike eagle glass wise, but way better ACSS reticle.  Has lifetime warranty like Vortex
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Anyone running these here? I went to look at a couple of the AR based Leupolds that run about 500 buck than came across this for 300 which from in the store seems like a steal but playing with one at the gun counter aint exactly telling so does anyone have one out there?
View Quote

The Vortex strikefire is a red dot site, the strike eagle is a variable power scope.  I'm going to assume you mean the latter since you put 1_6 in your title. There are two strike eagles now, the first gen and the second gen. The first is a 1-6x and the second is a 1-8x.
A friend and myself bought the 1-8x as it's the current model and so far they've been pretty good.
Glass isn't as clear as something more expensive, and there's some blurring around the outside edges. The clicks on the adjustments could be more firm instead of feeling mushy.
But, it's a pretty nice optic for the money and it's a Vortex so it has a good company behind it.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1-6 Strike Eagle I bought a couple years ago.   The reticle is not daylight bright in bright sunlight but the reticle is easy to see with no illumination.   The reticle works for me but I have only engaged steel targets out to 400 yards.   I had trouble getting hits at 400 because I couldn’t see my misses but had no trouble ringing steel in the wind at 300 yards.

I have no trouble adjusting out the fish eye with the ocular adjustment and the scope can be used effectively with both eyes open.   The red dot sight is still faster to use for me but I see many low power variable optics as a compromise.   I can use a 2.5-10 optic almost as fast as the 1-6 SE but the 10 power works better for shooting small varmints at range or paper targets for groups.   It really depends on how your going to use your rifle on which optic works best in your situation.

I tried the 1-6 SE in low light and in complete darkness and the optic is very usable.  For the price point I like the SE and would buy another if I wanted another second focal plain 1-6 in that price range.   I recently bought a Bushnell 1-4 AR FFP scope on sale since I never owned a FFP optic.   I think the Vortex Strike Eagle is a little easier to use on 1X because of the reticle size compared to a 1-4 FFP without daylight bright illumination.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:40:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24mm on my 6.8 build.  I think it's an awesome optic for the money.  Wishing I had the 1-8x for future build.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I wish I could get my hands on a 1-8x no luck yet and while this is a new concept build type using something outside a RDS Id love to start with a PA but not being able to see it in person I have to stay Vortex or Leupold.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top