Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2018 2:13:45 PM EDT
A long time ago it seems like they were one of the few producing this style of scope at an affordable price. Now everyone is putting out a low power illuminated variable ranging from cheap to expensive.

I'm talking about the newer DMS 2 scopes as opposed to the older version.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 12:43:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
A long time ago it seems like they were one of the few producing this style of scope at an affordable price. Now everyone is putting out a low power illuminated variable ranging from cheap to expensive.

I'm talking about the newer DMS 2 scopes as opposed to the older version.

http://www.millettsights.com/scopes/dms/
View Quote
Strela,
 I can give you some history on the original Millett DMS scope. The original Millett  DMS scope was a SFP circle dot reticle version of a scope made for me by Optisan of China. The FFP Horseshoe reticle 1-4X scope made for me by Optisan was used to test the concept of a 1-6X FFP reticle scope for use by our military as a

FSCO (Full SpectrumCombat Optic). After 9-11-2001 I was trying to have a FSCO made for our war fighters going into combat. The concept called for a 1-6x FFP Horseshoe BDC reticle scope.  After the best American and European scope companies rejected my concept I found a company that would work with me (Millett).

Tom Millett  and Steve Lansford served as my liaison with Optisan.  A 1-6x scope did not exist at that time (about ten years ago) so the Optisan1-4X scope was used to test the FFP Horseshoe reticle I developed. Some of these scopes were used in combat in Iraq. The scope did not hold up well but the feed back on

the FFP Horseshoe BDC reticle was very positive. Tom Millett died durning this process so Steve took over as my liaison with Optisan. When Steve saw the scope Optisan developed for me he was impressed with the scope. At that time Millett did not have this type of scope in their product line. Steve wanted to add the

new 1-4 Optisan scope to their product line but he did not like my Horseshoe reticle (too busy) and he did not like the idea of a FFP reticle for that scope. Steve wanted something simple. I suggested the circle dot reticle. He liked that idea, added the horizontal lines at the 3 and 9 O'clock position and put the Optisan

scope in their product line as the Millett DMS scope.  It was one of the better scopes of this type at the time but with the circle dot SFP reticle and capped turrets there is no way that scope could fulfill the DMS role.

I don't know if the current scopes are still made by Optisan or if their quality has improved.  I could not find the specs on the 1-6 scope. I don't know if that is a FFP or SFP reticle scope. IMO it could use a better reticle.

Hope this helps.
 Ed Verdugo
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the insight Ed.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top