Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/11/2018 7:36:36 AM EDT
Any advice on what scopes i should consider for my new 300 blackout, 16”  to be used for hunting?  Intend to periodically use SuperSonics for deer hunting out to 175-200 yards and suppressed subs for 50-100 on hogs and predators.  Plan to have one clip of each but know the ballistics are very different.  I have an extra Zeiss conquest 3x9/40 but it is probably too big and not adjustable for the sub vs supers, at least not conveniently.

Feel like I need power up to 4 min and prefer 6x but don’t know whether holdover hash Mark’s is a good way or just have adjustable turrets where I turn it so many clicks to calibrate to sub, supers.

Budget wise, I want to spend less than 300$ and if I can get a decent scope for 200$, that’s even better but mostly, want to get what will fit the above.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:41:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I understand the struggle with the 300 blackout optics choices, and while there are far more experienced members here, I will share mine. I have tried no less that 15 different optics on my 3 different 300BOs (16"AR, 8.5" AR, and bolt action) which I run both supers and subs through with a can on all of them. I've tried verything from red dots to the nikon m300 with both super and sub hash marks and the LVPOs like the MTAC 1-4 and the Vortex strike eagle and everything in between. That being said I finally found MY sweet spot with the SWFA SS 6x. The fixed power is low enough that I feel comfortable from 20-200 yards, no mag rings to manipulate, and the hold overs with the mil-quad reticle are fast for me once I practiced with them a little at the range. I'm sure a ACOG or something similar would be far better suited, but your budget seems similar to mine and that is what has worked the best for me. Optics opinions are worse than political opinions at times, just thought I would share my personal experience. Good luck sir!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#3]
get the weaver grand slam tactical 3x10x40 from natchez . I think they run around 219.00 right now , one of the best bargins out there . the turrets are in mils and the reticle is in mils . good glass made in japan its nothing fancy just a good scope with excellent external adjustments . just an example shooting barnes 10 grain ttsx with a 100 yd zero . I have to come up right at 7 inches at 200 yds so hold over would be about 1 mil . the difference in my 220 grain sub load from my super load is 14 inches at 100 yds so you could figure out what your hold over would be at 50 and 100 yds and use the reticle with out needing to touch the turrets
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:20:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I appreciate all of the feedback.  The primary arms is most intriguing.  Will look into a few of these options but still interested in more thoughts.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I appreciate all of the feedback.  The primary arms is most intriguing.  Will look into a few of these options but still interested in more thoughts.  Thanks again.
View Quote
PA has 5 Low Power Variable / Fixed prismatic scopes with 300 blk reticles, and a few ACSS  Mil based reticles.  (Mil is adaptable to any caliber/load)

http://www.primaryarms.com/Brand+Primary-Arms/MCategories+Rifle-Scopes
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:00:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I understand Trijicon makes one too. Need to google it to see how it compares price and feature wise. My objective is to be able to switch between super and subs while being able to hit my target at various yards using a compensating reticle etc.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I understand Trijicon makes one too. Need to google it to see how it compares price and feature wise. My objective is to be able to switch between super and subs while being able to hit my target at various yards using a compensating reticle etc.
View Quote
Trijicon will likely be at least 3x as much.  Leupold made a 300 blackout Super-Sub, but it’s not available anymore. When it was, it was more expensive than the Trijicon.

It is my personal opinion / experience that Primary Arms is the ONLY game in town that offers a quality optic with a  “compensating reticle” for 300 blackout in your price range.

All ACSS Optics

The ACSS reticle is also available in a Holosun red dot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 1:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Thx for all the help. I ordered the primary arms as recommended above.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top