Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2018 3:38:46 PM EDT
Bought an ACOG at a Pawn Shop recently. Got a very good deal on it.

When I bought it I assumed it was either a 5.56 or even a .308- no box, no paperwork with it etc.....Turns out its calibrated for the fucking worthless 6.8. Any other model I could use- .300/7.62x39, .308, .223.....but the fucking 6.8 is completely fucking useless to me. Probably why they pawned an ACOG- Nobody wanted it.... Figures.

Probably put the stupid thing on Ebay and go buy something I can actually use.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:46:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought an ACOG at a Pawn Shop recently. Got a very good deal on it.

When I bought it I assumed it was either a 5.56 or even a .308- no box, no paperwork with it etc.....Turns out its calibrated for the fucking worthless 6.8. Any other model I could use- .300/7.62x39, .308, .223.....but the fucking 6.8 is completely fucking useless to me. Probably why they pawned an ACOG- Nobody wanted it.... Figures.

Probably put the stupid thing on Ebay and go buy something I can actually use.
View Quote
That sucks.

I have a 6.8 and wish I could afford an acog.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Put your dope in a ballistic calculation app like strelok, you can probably figure out a good place to zero the reticle that makes it useful. Plenty of people figure out ways to make 5.56 BDC work with their 6.8 rifles or even more oddball cartridges. Same goes for making your 10.5" SBR work with a BDC designed for a 20" barrel. It's not gonna be perfect super sniper accurate but maybe close enough to get rounds on a man-size target. I stuck the default M193 @ 3165 fps in with your reticle, put a 50yd zero in on a hunch, then adjusted it to 55yds and came up with this which gets you pretty much on target out to 900yds just with everything shifted one crosshair above where the numbers say it is. With a little messing around you can probably come up with something similar for whatever bullet and barrel length you shoot most often, then fine tune it by confirming out at 400yds or something.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Put your dope in a ballistic calculation app like strelok, you can probably figure out a good place to zero the reticle that makes it useful. Plenty of people figure out ways to make 5.56 BDC work with their 6.8 rifles or even more oddball cartridges. Same goes for making your 10.5" SBR work with a BDC designed for a 20" barrel. It's not gonna be perfect super sniper accurate but maybe close enough to get rounds on a man-size target. I stuck the default M193 @ 3165 fps in with your reticle, put a 50yd zero in on a hunch, then adjusted it to 55yds and came up with this which gets you pretty much on target out to 900yds just with everything shifted one crosshair above where the numbers say it is. With a little messing around you can probably come up with something similar for whatever bullet and barrel length you shoot most often, then fine tune it by confirming out at 400yds or something.
https://files.catbox.moe/7nc9if.png
View Quote
Sure, It can be made to work but the whole point of an ACOG to  me is "point and shoot". You range the target, apply the correct hold line and pull the trigger. I'll just dump it, maybe break even if I'm lucky, and get something I can really use. Lesson learned and a pain in the ass to deal with but it was worth a chance.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Perhaps you may find that for utility reflex shooting, that using Maximum Point Blank Range zero technique may be the way to go in your situation.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like an excuse to build a 6.8spc AR to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:14:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Sounds like an excuse to build a 6.8spc AR to me.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:48:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it the ta31h-68?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it the ta31h-68?
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
6.8 will be very close to 7.62x39mm and .300 Blackout.

I would zero it at 300 yards using the 300 yard hash mark and check to see how close it hits at 100/200 to clear up any doubt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#10]
You’re nitpicking over what’ll most likely amount to nothing.  It’s a BDC.  It’s calibrated for a specific load, at a specific velocity, in specific environmental conditions.  If you fiddle with your zero distance and factor in your specific load and environmental conditions, you can most likely end up closer to what you want than if you used the “correct” BDC in an environment or with a velocity/projectile it isn’t calibrated for.

ETA:  Here’s your reticle, zeroed at 50y, with 123gr 7.62x39 traveling at roughly 2500fps.  Closer than any of the 6.8 factory loads I’ve tried in Strelok.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:32:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You're nitpicking over nothing.  It's a BDC.  It's calibrated for a specific load, at a specific velocity, in specific environmental conditions.  If you fiddle with your zero distance and factor in your specific load and environmental conditions, you can most likely end up closer to what you want than if you used the "correct" BDC in an environment or with a velocity it isn't calibrated for.
View Quote
This is also why combat rifles have 30 round mags
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You’re nitpicking over what’ll most likely amount to nothing.  It’s a BDC.  It’s calibrated for a specific load, at a specific velocity, in specific environmental conditions.  If you fiddle with your zero distance and factor in your specific load and environmental conditions, you can most likely end up closer to what you want than if you used the “correct” BDC in an environment or with a velocity/projectile it isn’t calibrated for.
View Quote
Yep. I've never had a BDC reticle actually shoot where it was advertised to. You just have to hit the range and figure out what ranges the extra aiming points are at.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes, x39 was pretty close out to 300 yards from what I could see even though most of it runs about 2300 fps.....

Maybe it's just me, but I've had really good luck with my BDCs in terms of them being on out to 400...at 500 not as close but that's really stretching m193 anyway.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:08:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Attachment Attached File

looks like it would work well for a 77 gr SMK out of an M4 barrel.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#15]
What did you pay for it?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/354072/Screenshot_20180508-180728-538006.JPG
looks like it would work well for a 77 gr SMK out of an M4 barrel.
View Quote
That was another possibility I had noted.....
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What did you pay for it?
View Quote
$600
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ETA:  Here’s your reticle, zeroed at 50y, with 123gr 7.62x39 traveling at roughly 2500fps.  Closer than any of the 6.8 factory loads I’ve tried in Strelok.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/294984/D18E59D1-EEA4-4351-9C0C-F1AE44619EEF-537918.JPG
View Quote
This is the right answer. BC and velocity matter much more than caliber here, and honestly none matter all that much. Offhand I’d think it’d probably line up pretty close to a SBR anyway. The whole thing is meant to get one in the ballpark. If you’re using this for precision shooting at extended range, any ACOG is the wrong ACOG.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

$600
View Quote
See if Trijicon will re-reticle it. I bet they will.

It seems the calculators shown too are pretty damn close too. Enjoy it OP.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:18:20 AM EDT
[#20]
6.8 seems to be very close in trajectory to 6.5 Grendel, until you get out there a ways. Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:45:33 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want to sell let me know. I might be in the market
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

See if Trijicon will re-reticle it. I bet they will.

It seems the calculators shown too are pretty damn close too. Enjoy it OP.
View Quote
I think it costs $$$ to change the reticle. Also includes the lamp change. But it's worth a call to Trijicon. They have good CS.

With so many bullet weights/loads and barrel lengths, I consider the "caliber" designation on the ACOG BDC worthless until you match it up with your exact load/barrel length. But I don't shoot 800 yards with my ACOGs.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 1:02:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

...But it's worth a call to Trijicon. They have good CS.

With so many bullet weights/loads and barrel lengths, I consider the "caliber" designation on the ACOG BDC worthless until you match it up with your exact load/barrel length. But I don't shoot 800 yards with my ACOGs.
View Quote
This ^. (As well as the illuminating screenshot posted above from Strelok). An ACOG is ultimately a battle optic; the stadia are "guides" but optimized to something specifically when designed. I pleasantly discovered while searching for which reticle I ultimately want that Trijicon Tech Spt iis quite responsive, even via email, to specific questions such as "what are the gradations in MOA for (insert reticle specifics here)?"

Doing that would likely remove a bit of buyer's remorse seen ranted about on the net. It's what they do; they breathe this stuff. If one has a specific load worked up, or is wedded to a particular factory load, run the data, get your drops & engage Trijicon to see what they suggest. Someone who buys an RCO because "wow, dot-MIL!" and then shoots slo-mo krap ammo & can't hit their steel at 500 is an example that comes to mind. It can be avoided.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Not trying to hijack the thread, but since we are on the topic of used Acogs. I can pick up a TA01 for $500, is that a decent price?
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not trying to hijack the thread, but since we are on the topic of used Acogs. I can pick up a TA01 for $500, is that a decent price?
View Quote
Depends on age and condition.
Also depends if its an ex military acog.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 7:49:54 PM EDT
[#26]
While the range calibration is perhaps not right, keep in mind that the horizontal hashmarks are also sized for range estimation when you can't otherwise determine distance to the target.

If memory serves me right, the width of the hashmark is the width of a human torso at that range.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:15:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Sure, It can be made to work but the whole point of an ACOG to  me is "point and shoot". You range the target, apply the correct hold line and pull the trigger. I'll just dump it, maybe break even if I'm lucky, and get something I can really use. Lesson learned and a pain in the ass to deal with but it was worth a chance.
View Quote
ACOG’s aren’t just point and shoot regardless, so learn the dope for each hold over and rock it. Or list it in the EE for trade on a 5.56 model.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 6:12:57 PM EDT
[#28]
surprised you didn't call trijicon and ask them about it before you purchased it?
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:37:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
$600
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What did you pay for it?
$600
If it’s a green horseshoe, I’ll give you $515, shipped.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
surprised you didn't call trijicon and ask them about it before you purchased it?
View Quote
Not to mention it usually says the caliber and/or model at the bottom of the reticle.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:57:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's what I would have done.  CID is always willing to take back stolen optics leaving you with the loss.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's what I would have done.  CID is always willing to take back stolen optics leaving you with the loss.
View Quote
I actually came upon this same issue a while ago.
I purchased an ACOG that turned out to be from the military.

When I called them, it turns out Trijicon is pretty relaxed about it, unlike Aimpoint or Eotech. They won't warranty the optic, but I can still send it to them for paid repairs. They won't fix the laser filter if it breaks though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 10:30:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Here is a m193 100 yard zero - 1.5 MOA in elevation
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top