Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/14/2018 9:07:46 AM EDT
Great optic.  I was going to get an LPV per my prior thread.  I'm not sure that wasn't the right play, honestly, but I'll end up with one on my next AR anyway, so I think my basic reasoning is still sound. My thought was since this is currently my only AR-15, and in a pinch it might need to be pressed into service for home defense, I wanted the ability to have a close range optic and still co-witness my sights, while still shooting at longer distances at the range.  I've read folks saying they can get reliable hits out to 200-300 yards with an unmagnified PRO. They can.  I can't.  My eyes are too old.  So a scope at those distances would serve me better, and that's why I think my next AR will get an LPV.

But really, that's not what it's for, is it?  The only thing I've used it for since getting it on Friday is sighting in at 50 yards.  For close range stuff, I'm sure it's perfect, so I'm not bagging on the optic at all.  It has a very clear field of view and the dot works very well in terms of giving you a clear presentation. I've read stories of the durability of this optic, and I can't comment because mine is new, but it feels solid.  I did not have the problem some folks report of the mount "shooting loose."  All in all, I'm happy with my choice.

Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:18:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Good choice, solid optic. Every time I consider going to a magnified optic my mind is changed when I can easily and  consistently smack the bullseye at 100 yards with my PRO.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Great choice.  Never heard of any issues or had one with mine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I should also say, it works a lot better than irons at that distance for me.  I still have the same "I'm old and my eyes don't work so good" problem, compounded by the black post over black target issue.

I can hit a 6" circle at 50 yards with either, repeatedly.  But I also get more fliers than I'd prefer.  Everything just blurs up too much on me.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Strong choice OP
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Can't go wrong with a AP PRO...I found that the latest builds have a much crisper dot than before.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#6]
A 300 yard shot might be tricky for a reddot if you're trying to print for groups on paper, but I'm sure you'd still be able to land hits on a torso target.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I sight my RDS equipped rifles at 200 yards, not the short range close enough for government work.

My hold over at 300 yards is 7.5". That's easy enough to guesstimate.

On a silloutte target place the red dot on the Adams apple area to obtain center mass hits.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 11:52:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great optic.  I was going to get an LPV per my prior thread.  I'm not sure that wasn't the right play, honestly, but I'll end up with one on my next AR anyway, so I think my basic reasoning is still sound. My thought was since this is currently my only AR-15, and in a pinch it might need to be pressed into service for home defense, I wanted the ability to have a close range optic and still co-witness my sights, while still shooting at longer distances at the range.  I've read folks saying they can get reliable hits out to 200-300 yards with an unmagnified PRO. They can.  I can't.  My eyes are too old.  So a scope at those distances would serve me better, and that's why I think my next AR will get an LPV.

But really, that's not what it's for, is it?  The only thing I've used it for since getting it on Friday is sighting in at 50 yards.  For close range stuff, I'm sure it's perfect, so I'm not bagging on the optic at all.  It has a very clear field of view and the dot works very well in terms of giving you a clear presentation. I've read stories of the durability of this optic, and I can't comment because mine is new, but it feels solid.  I did not have the problem some folks report of the mount "shooting loose."  All in all, I'm happy with my choice.

https://i.imgur.com/Z2uOuBh.jpg
View Quote
that is a nice looking set up. I have had an aimpoint pro for quite some time and it has been a great optic . I prefer an optic that will work in any condition and be as close to 100% reliable as possible . My needs probably arent the same as alot . I have a farm and raise small livestock like goats rabbits quail and chickens plus about 3 acres of blackberries , so predator and varmint control are at the top of my list day or night and the pro handles that lke a champ its always on and always ready . I have used it in all kinds of conditions from -5* below to temps reaching in the high 90's rain, snow, sleet , and ice . Never an issue plus I have brought home alot of venision as well . My homestead is in the ozark foot hills , maybe if I lived on the wide open prarie my optic choice would be different but for 200 yds in I think you made a wise choice .
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:33:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

that is a nice looking set up. I have had an aimpoint pro for quite some time and it has been a great optic . I prefer an optic that will work in any condition and be as close to 100% reliable as possible . My needs probably arent the same as alot . I have a farm and raise small livestock like goats rabbits quail and chickens plus about 3 acres of blackberries , so predator and varmint control are at the top of my list day or night and the pro handles that lke a champ its always on and always ready . I have used it in all kinds of conditions from -5* below to temps reaching in the high 90's rain, snow, sleet , and ice . Never an issue plus I have brought home alot of venision as well . My homestead is in the ozark foot hills , maybe if I lived on the wide open prarie my optic choice would be different but for 200 yds in I think you made a wise choice .
View Quote
Bull Shoals, AR, here. I know these surroundings of which you speak.

Also, 10/10 on optic, OP. Well done, sir.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:59:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Congrats man. Much better choice for HD. I use a red dot on my HD AR (EOTech)
And an ACOG on my "stretch it legs a bit more" AR
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:52:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks. I’ll give that a try when I can get back out and re-zero.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
I got mine at Academy. I wonder if they’d honor the codes after the fact.

I got mine in store though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:12:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 4:33:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Says they are back in stock but cant seem to get both promo codes to bring it down the 30%
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top