Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/12/2018 5:44:33 PM EDT
Tell me about the Zeiss terra 3x scope looking at the 3x 9x 42 plex. Is 250.00 a good price? Box says made in japan.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the whole series, Terra, Conquest DL and Victory HT. Just took a look through each to compare again.

The Terra is a decent scope, and $250 is a great price. Build quality is excellent, and the glass is good. To my eye, Zeiss lenses pass a very full spectrum, from blues all the way up. I find other brands to be on the warmer side, which means less blue. Guess what you need at night? I think the clarity on the Terra is very good, but there's a little less resolution than higher priced models (as one would expect). With the higher end scopes I can see individual blades of grass or hairs on a deer at pretty good distances. With the Terra it's not so easy to see beyond 100 yards. It's a nit pick, obviously one doesn't need to pick out a hair to kill a deer.

For 6X the price, the Conquest DL is a heck of a scope. For 10X the price Victory HT is shockingly good. I think it's the best scope Zeiss makes, better than the new V8s.

For $250 (shipped?) the Terra 3-9x42 will serve you well. If you want the deal of the century on a Conquest DL 2-8x42 there's one here:
(Arfcom post editor doesn't like the special characters, I tried to make it hot), here is the URL:
http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Zeiss-Conquest-DL-2-8x42---%2360-Illuminated-zeiss-conquest-dl&catalog[product_guids][0]=1694500

Half price for an illuminated DL-- note, that model has the ASV turret. Best illuminated reticle in the business. Hands down. 1/3MOA fiber optic red dot, infinitely variable brightness. I bought one from these guys about a week ago, totally GT.

-Stooxie
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I like Zeiss scope.  A Victory I've had for years remains outstanding.  Only a Kahles Helia CL hunting scope I have gives it a run for the money, perhap out performing it in low light.  But the Terra line is disappointing to me.  I realize there are limits to what can be done at that price point.

The best budget 3-9x type scope in the same price range is probably the incredible $219 (yes, $219) all-Japanese Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40mm.  This was a $400 scope a few years ago.  I paid $300 for mine, on sale.  It was a MidwayUSA exclusive at the time.  Still offered by them at $350. Now being offered by Natchez for $219.

It has true tracking tactical turrets in addition to the matching mrad based mil dot reticle.  The glass is far superior to Zeiss Terra, closer to Conquest.  Incredible bargain.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-grand-slam-tactical-rifle-scope-3-10x40mm-mil-dot-reticle-matte-black.html

A good, objective review:

http://www.snipercentral.com/weaver-grand-slam-tactical-3-10x40mm/

Another, this one by a respected member of this forum:

https://landsandgroovesblog.wordpress.com/2013/09/21/weaver-grand-slam-tactical-3-10x40-milmil/

Mine resides on a long range Sako 6mm bolt gun.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Got two of the terra scopes for 425.00 out the door. So far I am pleased with them. Will know more when I can get to the range end of the week. One is going on a 20 inch ar and the other one is going on a Winchester 30 06 light weight model 70.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top