Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2018 1:53:12 PM EDT
Well. The Vortex UH-1 showed up today and here is my initial impression of it.

This impression compares it to EOtech as it is truly the rival in the HWS market (I am not a Holosun guy so if you like Holosun...knock yourself out).

The gun it will find its home on is my BREN 805.

* Aesthetics.

This is merely subjective. It is blocky yet flowing...fits new generation weapon platform designs very well...like the BREN. I do wish vortex would have left some of the white engravings off and just had the hood RAZOR AMG emblem engraved. Just my 2 cents. But the engravings are well executed and the Vortex emblem above the brightness controls does not interfere with your sight picture at all.

* Clarity.

WOW this optic is clear. 0 distortion...0 "fish eye"...its literally like the reticle is projected in front of you. Very impressed. If you looked through an EOtech...you get the picture...but it is much "crisper" with more "contrast". Vortex did really well on getting the lenses correct.

0 tunnel effect...with the larger objective lens...it virtually eliminates any tunnel/tube effect that other RDS have.

* Parallax.

Say what you will...but to me...controlling parallax to the minimum is one of the most important features of a RDS. I am happy to report...using the same reference point as I used for my MRO Patrol (which was returned for this)...the parallax at 65 yards is maaaybe 1/2 MOA...maybe...the MRO was over 6". Hands down...a winner and 100% on par with EOtech EXPS3-0.

* Weight and Size

It is on the heavy side as reported...but it feels high quality. No rough edges...anodizing is smooth.

Honestly, the pictures online make it look like a PIG...it is actually very well proportioned in size. It is quite narrow as well. I have to mount other RDS all the way by my rear BUIS so that when I charge the weapon my fingers don't get smashed. The UH-1 can be mounted a bit further for better, more centered weight distribution. Huge win for me.

Being an all aluminum tanky RDS...the UH-1 does not require a secondary "hood" for protection. This improves width but also FOV. It is almost like you just have a piece of glass in front of you...verrrrry streamlined in this regard.

* Buttons.

I think this is one of the biggest improvements over an EOtech that does not get talked about. They are solid...not mushy or anything. You push it...you know its engaged...very well executed and I really like this. They are also a bit larger so you can engage it with gloves much better than an EOtech.

* QD Mount

This is literally a carbon copy of the EOtech QD mount on a EXPS...so no complaints at all. I do like how the mount is "beveled" at the base giving you more charging handle clearance on weapons like the BREN and SCAR. Vortex however improved the lever by being slightly wider and longer...so you can get much better lever engagement with your fingers. The tool-less tension adjustment is a nice touch as well.

* USB Charger

If there is any gripe from me on the UH-1 is the USB charger port...I will never use it. Ever. I know it is still waterproof with it off...but I wish it wasn't there...however it is nice to have that capability. In a bad scenario...you could get rechargeable batteries...you could hook up a solar panel charger and be ok...however for the price of a solar panel and rechargeable CR123...I'll just buy 3 packs of CR123 Surefire batteries.

* Windage/Elevation Adjustments

They resemble EOtech turrets...they feel about the same but with a louder click...you also feel the click through a coin...sometimes on EOtechs they can't be felt, only heard. So I feel its an improvement. Same design essentially as a MRO...but the EOtech does offer more protection for the turrets than the UH-1 does.

* Reticle

The sight comes on at setting 8 out of 15...in a very bright sunny day like today...I had to go up to 10 if I wanted to see the reticle against my white garage...setting 8 was perfectly fine otherwise outside and inside.

On max setting 15...outside...I could barely notice blooming of the reticle...I quite honestly do not see the reason to ever go above 12 (it is sunny with zero clouds today where I live today). Setting 8 works perfect inside as well...slightly bright...but does not bloom...in pitch darkness...I think level 4-5 would be optimal...but if you have a weapons light like I do...setting 8 does NOT wash out with a 1000 lumen light in the darkness...very very good default setting Vortex.

I have a very slight astigmatism...no problems here. The reticle looks a bit more sharp than EOtech...the center 1MOA dot is slightly brighter than the 65 MOA...love it...the triangle is a triangle as long as you are looking at your target...if you are focusing on the triangle...the very tip of the triangle appears more rounded.

* Battery Life

We all know HWS laser based RDS have low battery life compared to AP and others. The Vortex does have 50% better life than EOtech so that is great. I am not worried about this aspect of the Vortex because I can house 4 spare CR123 throughout my BREN's compartments. If the sight does not quit on me and the parallax accuracy holds as is...I will be a very happy camper.

* Waterproofing

I asked Vortex about this since there is not a statement on Vortex's website nor in the booklet provided. From Vortex the official depth rating is 33ft. Needless to say...this is 100% on par with EOtech EXPS 3-0.

* Warranty

This is a very important thing for me. Vortex has a great warranty and they have shown to stand behind it. The RAZOR AMG being a US made sight...that supports US jobs...with a company who loves its customers is great to see. If the sight takes a dumb...I know I can get a replacement no questions asked.

My intial thoughts are that the UH-1 is well designed and built. It has updates on the EOtech in all areas. The reticle works better with my astigmatism than any other RDS thus far (except Trijicon reflex). It feels tanky, which fits with the BREN character perfectly. The glass is crystal clear, 0 distortion...0 fish eye...near zero parallax....feels like I am looking through German Schott glass at 1X.

If you are looking for something new in the RDS world...this could be it. Knowing how well Vortex specs and builds it products...I have no doubt this sight will serve me well...

Link Posted: 4/12/2018 2:45:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Good write up.  Thank you for posting.  I have been looking for a suitable EoTech replacement.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Good review.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the excellent review, this has been on my radar since I first read about it.  One question that maybe you can answer, maybe not.  Is it possible for you to describe how the reticle looks with your astigmatism when compared to an etched reticle sight such as the Vortex Spitfire?  As of now these etched reticle sights are the only units to look completely defined to me.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I can tell you...this is the only sight I can actually focus on the reticle itself and not get star bursting....however...you shouldn't focus on the reticle specifically but the target ahead...

It is still a laser diode reticle...so you do get the lasery feel...but works great. I don't know what Vortex did..but it seems to be a well focused, controlled laser.

MRO appeared slightly like a line....Aimpoints appeared as a star...Vortex SPARC AR I saw the diode's refresh rate...EOtech slightly blurry center dot....Vortex UH-1..defined dot...no abnormalities.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 5:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a UH1 and it is very solid, great field of view but a bit heavy.

My main issue after using a Razor Red dot is the UH1 reticle is distractingly busy.

I used it on my MPX to shoot USPSA and found myself focusing on the reticle rather than the target. I struggled to keep my focus downrange and float the reticle over the target, my eye was drawn to the ring around the central dot.

It was frustrating.
I'm sure I just need more practice using it.

It would be cool if they offered different reticles.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 6:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sweet review and great feedback all around! Looks killer on your rifle in the photos - love the two-tone theme you've got going there!

JH
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a UH1 and it is very solid, great field of view but a bit heavy.

My main issue after using a Razor Red dot is the UH1 reticle is distractingly busy.

I used it on my MPX to shoot USPSA and found myself focusing on the reticle rather than the target. I struggled to keep my focus downrange and float the reticle over the target, my eye was drawn to the ring around the central dot.

It was frustrating.
I'm sure I just need more practice using it.

It would be cool if they offered different reticles.
View Quote
I got mine for USPSA PCC, and I like it. A lot.
Red dots and holos work differently for everyone probably because everyone's eyes are different.
When I get a second UH1 it's going on top of my bedside carbine.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:02:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I want to see a HWS with motion activation...

They do it on some red dots with 50k battery life, and that isn't needed at all... A HWS would benefit greatly from such tech.

Then if you have a sight rated at 3k, it could be activated for a total of 8hrs a day, and still last a year.

This would make them a much more viable defensive use sight. Ready to go instantly, and no need to worry about the battery, if you swap it yearly.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Motion activation would be nice. That was one feature I really like about the MEPRO RDS.

UH-1 does have a 14hr auto shut off...the 14hr is there to last a shift...I believe most military shifts span up to 12hrs...

The buttons are large and easily pressed...I would say...its the most ergonomic buttons I've used.

The UH-1 though is NOT NV friendly...lowest setting is still visible at pitch darkness to the naked eye (not very much)...not a big deal to me....yet.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top