Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/10/2018 7:59:21 AM EDT
I'm wrapping up a dedicated suppressed 16" 308 and am trying to make a determination about which of the two aforementioned optics in the subject line I would prefer.

FYI, the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x24 is manufactured in Japan at/by LOW (Light Optical Works) and is pretty comparable specs-wise to the Leupold Mark 8 CQBSS Tactical 1.1-8x24.

I recently picked up a 1.5x Mini ACOG (TA44) with the Primary Arms ACSS reticle.  And the ACSS reticle is why I'm now drawn to their Platinum 1-8x24.

They make a TA31 (4x) with the ACSS, but the eye relief on the TA31 is a concern.

If the TA11 was offered with the ACSS, I think the decision would probably be pretty easy.

This will mainly be a general purpose gun with pretty much most of its time spent at the range and an unlikely worst case as a SHTF tool.

TA11 pros:
- durability
- simplicity
- weight
- fiber optic + tritium / no batteries required

TA11 cons:
- fixed power
- the 308-specific horseshoe reticle, while not terrible, not as nice as the ACSS

PA 1-8 pros:
- variable with up to 8x (much nicer for target ID and/or precision)
- ACSS reticle

PA 1-8 cons:
- weight
- durability?
- battery life?
- non-illuminated daytime reticle visibility

Weight difference probably isn't that big of a deal, it's less than a 1 pound difference.  However, the AR10s are already heavy-ish guns.

Thoughts?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Not all TA11 are horseshoe.
What about the TA110C, or TA110D?
Not ACSS, but also not Horseshoe.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not all TA11 are horseshoe.
What about the TA110C, or TA110D?
Not ACSS, but also not Horseshoe.
View Quote
I guess I should have been a little more clear about that.

I mentioned the horseshoe reticle because that is what I chose.  I realize there are others, but I feel like the horseshoe is probably the most beneficial. Maybe not though?
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure how far out you intend to shoot the gun but I'd probably want a LPV so of your two options I'd go PA Platinum. If you only intend to shoot out to 300 yards or meters you'd be fine with the ACOG. I'm sure your rather ha e the extra magnification to stretch it out to 500-600 yards though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Ideally you should try them both out and see which one you like better.
Acog has a really nice eyebox, sight picture, and form factor.
LPV really shine when u need to dial down to x1. LPVs at the top ends get finicky with the eyebox and sight picture quality until you start reaching the expensive stuff like nightforce or schmidt bender. That said, you can actually shoot pretty quick up close with the generous eyebox and eyerelief of the ta11 if you use the BAC concept.

I'd personally go with the acog.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Gentlemen, thanks for all of the great replies.

I was really torn and actually leaning towards the PS 1-8x.

But...yesterday as I was reassembling my 24" 6.5CM AR10 I noticed that the parallax / illumination assembly on a $2k+ scope had somehow come loose.

It was so loose if felt like you could possibly just pull it right off, yet it wouldn't actually come off.

The scope is from a very popular manufacturer and I'm 100% sure it will be fixed up and taken care of.

Also, it has never been dropped or fallen over with the rifle or anything like that.  So, I was quite surprised and disappointed to see that had happened.

And for that reason, I am leery of variable power scopes.  As much as I like what they bring to the table in terms of flexibility, I can't escape the lingering concern about when/where they will just randomly shit the bed.

Thankfully I don't currently need that optic, so I have the time to send it in and get it repaired, etc.

But, I think I am now leaning towards the ACOG for its simplicity and proven durability.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

But...yesterday as I was reassembling my 24" 6.5CM AR10 I noticed that the parallax / illumination assembly on a $2k+ scope had somehow come loose.

It was so loose if felt like you could possibly just pull it right off, yet it wouldn't actually come off.

The scope is from a very popular manufacturer and I'm 100% sure it will be fixed up and taken care of.

Also, it has never been dropped or fallen over with the rifle or anything like that.  So, I was quite surprised and disappointed to see that had happened.

And for that reason, I am leery of variable power scopes.  As much as I like what they bring to the table in terms of flexibility, I can't escape the lingering concern about when/where they will just randomly shit the bed.

Thankfully I don't currently need that optic, so I have the time to send it in and get it repaired, etc.

But, I think I am now leaning towards the ACOG for its simplicity and proven durability.
View Quote
Every optic is going to have an outlier that fails in some regard. LPVOs have been utilized in some of the harshest conditions in the world. Even the early run in Iraq nearly 15 years ago LVPOs were starting to see some real combat, particularly the early S&B short dots. Technology since then has come a long way where fixed power prism scopes like the ACOG really have not other than maybe LED battery versions. The ACOG may be durable, but there are still plenty of broken ACOGs in unit armories waiting for DRMO or repair.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
What manufacturer?
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What manufacturer?
View Quote
Vortex. They will for sure fix the scope, but it's one of their Gen 2's which are "built like tanks" (which I do agree with in terms of the ruggedness of the build quality).
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top