Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2017 8:42:55 AM EDT
Trying to find a decent spotting scope for my wife to get me for my birthday would just need to be under $200 bucks.

Best I've found so far is Bushnell Trophy Xtreme Spotting Scope 20-60x

Anything else I should look at in that price range?
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#2]
What are you trying to accomplish with the spotting scope?  
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you trying to accomplish with the spotting scope?  
View Quote
Mostly checking shots at 200 meters and out.

Right now I have  cheap Simmons from Walmart it gets the job done but it's pretty terrible quality wise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:01:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a Gosky 20-60X 80 Porro Prism Spotting Scope on Amazon for $130 and I've been very pleased with it. I have a friend who shoots competitively and he likes it better than his higher-end scope.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Right now I have  cheap Simmons from Walmart it gets the job done but it's pretty terrible quality wise.
View Quote
Honestly, nothing you buy for $200 is going to be significantly better than what you have.  Save your money.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 to for he Konus!  I got 20-60x for a bit under $200.  Excellent glass for the money!
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:21:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Honestly, nothing you buy for $200 is going to be significantly better than what you have.  Save your money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WHAT HE SAID X100

200 meters for $200 is waste of $200.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got that same Simmons spotter.  It sucks shit.

From what I've found, to get any kind of spotter that can see target holes at 500yds+ is gonna cost nearly $800+.

Because of this, my shooting buddies and I are looking at target cam systems.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Welp looks like I'll be getting a chronograph for my birthday instead
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Agreed. Been there done that...

Ended up with a Razor HD after messing around with cheap scopes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 9:02:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Been using this for a few years now and it serves it's purpose.  I don't consider myself a "cheap" optic guy considering I own some high end glass, but for what I do with it it's been working out just fine.

Redfield Rampage 20-60x60
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:00:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Been using this for a few years now and it serves it's purpose.  I don't consider myself a "cheap" optic guy considering I own some high end glass, but for what I do with it it's been working out just fine.

Redfield Rampage 20-60x60
View Quote
what do you do with it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#13]
The Konus 7120 is an amazing spotting scope in the under $200 price range.  I bought mine from Optics Planet for around $185.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#14]
I suspect that anyone that is happy with the performance of a sub-$200 spotter either:

A) Has never done a side-by-side comparison with a quality spotter to know what "good" is and what they're missing

B) Does not use their spotter beyond 100-200-yards

C) Does not understand or does not care about resolving power, color fringing, and chromatic aberration

D) Is blind or at least partially blind

There is no maxim more true in the shooting sports than "Optics, you get what you pay for".  Serious shooters don't go out of their way to spend money just to spend money when they don't have to.  If sub-$200 spotters did the job, everyone would be using them.  There is a reason why you don't see them on the firing line at PRS matches.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Welp looks like I'll be getting a chronograph for my birthday instead
View Quote
Magnetospeed?  LAB Radar?
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 1:20:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I bought a used Kowa TSN-1 with their EER 26X power eye piece years ago used off Benchrest.com for shooting High Power Rifle.

I think I paid 5 or 6 hundred for it and that was some of the best money I've ever spent. This is a mid 1980's scope and it is still a damn fine scope.

When I started shooting High Power I showed up at my first match with a Nikon Sky & Earth scope 15-45X with a 60mm objective lens. I couldn't make out 22 calibre holes at 200 yards at all. One of the other guys let me look through his Kowa and "holy shit!"

His Kowa was 26x and my Nikon was at 45x. The Nikon was a joke, and damned joke.

I bought a Kowa. End of story, happy ever after.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 3:07:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Magnetospeed?  LAB Radar?
View Quote
Caldwell premium kits is 119 on amazon. Wife is asking what I want for my birthday and I have to keep it reasonable.  I would love to drop 500 bucks on a awesome spotting scope but I cant simple as that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Caldwell premium kits is 119 on amazon. Wife is asking what I want for my birthday and I have to keep it reasonable.  I would love to drop 500 bucks on a awesome spotting scope but I cant simple as that.
View Quote
If you can up your budget to $179, you can pick up a Magentospeed Sporter, which has many advantages.

1) If at a range with other shooters, you'll never have to wait for a line break to set-up or break-down your chrono
2) More accurate because it's at the muzzle, not 10 yards in front of it
3) Not dependent on weather
4) Not dependent on lighting conditions
5) No worry about shooting your chrono
6) Better battery life
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought a used Kowa TSN-1 with their EER 26X power eye piece years ago used off Benchrest.com for shooting High Power Rifle.

I think I paid 5 or 6 hundred for it and that was some of the best money I've ever spent. This is a mid 1980's scope and it is still a damn fine scope.

When I started shooting High Power I showed up at y first match with a Nikon Sky & Earth scope 15-45X with a 60mm objective lens. I couldn't make out 22 calibre holes at 200 yards at all. One of the other guys let me look through his Kowa and "holy shit!"

His Kowa was 26x and my Nikon was at 45x. The Nikon was a joke, and damned joke.

I bought a Kowa. End of story, happy ever after.
View Quote
Kowa is good stuff.  Was then.  Still is.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's not do-able in your budget really.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

what do you do with it?
View Quote
To see impacts when punching paper from 100 out to 300 yards.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I suspect that anyone that is happy with the performance of a sub-$200 spotter either:

A) Has never done a side-by-side comparison with a quality spotter to know what "good" is and what they're missing

C) Does not understand or does not care about resolving power, color fringing, and chromatic aberration

There is no maxim more true in the shooting sports than "Optics, you get what you pay for".  Serious shooters don't go out of their way to spend money just to spend money when they don't have to.  If sub-$200 spotters did the job, everyone would be using them.  There is a reason why you don't see them on the firing line at PRS matches.
View Quote
E) None of the above because for my purposes a high-end spotting scope just isn't that important.  CA, edge-to-edge clarity, resolving power... all nice in the world of extreme long range shooting.  BTW, color fringing and chromatic aberration are the same thing, so not sure if you were attempting to sound smarter or what.  

If you're willing to drop Swaro coin to see clearly beyond 500 yards then have at it.  You can go scope-snobbing on some high-end spotting scope thread and let the rest of us answer the OP's question so we can narrow down some choices that works within his budget.  Not everyone has $ money flowing out of their ass for ultra high-end everything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

E) None of the above because for my purposes a high-end spotting scope just isn't that important.  CA, edge-to-edge clarity, resolving power... all nice in the world of extreme long range shooting.  BTW, color fringing and chromatic aberration are the same thing, so not sure if you were attempting to sound smarter or what.  

If you're willing to drop Swaro coin to see clearly beyond 500 yards then have at it.  You can go scope-snobbing on some high-end spotting scope thread and let the rest of us answer the OP's question so we can narrow down some choices that works within his budget.  Not everyone has $ money flowing out of their ass for ultra high-end everything.
View Quote
Why you mad, bro?  I'm not trying to say "go be poor in another thread".  I AM trying to keep OP from wasting $200 on a scope that wouldn't be significantly better than what he already has.  He was already disappointed once, no need for him to repeat the act.  As for me, I don't have the best of everything, but I get the best that I'm able to afford by not wasting money on junk that won't do the job.  Buy once, cry once my friend.
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 8:45:12 PM EDT
[#24]
that redfield gets pretty good reviews. I just figured anything would be better than the one I have now and its something the wife could get me and Id get a lot of use out of. The one I have now at 200m I cant really see im impacts on a splatter target.  Unless you guys got another suggestion for around 200 bucks.  the Magnetospeed is definitely an option Ill look at.

Maybe Ill try to con my friend at work out of his leupold spotting scope.. he does want some work done on his truck, claimed it was a $500 scope when he bought it years ago

I do appreciate all the feedback
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#25]
I went with a cheaper vortex spotting scope. Can't remember the price but wasn't much.
  Of course I wish I would have been able to afford better. But it works great for what I paid.
  .223 at 200yds is a little tricky to pick up but anything bigger at 200yds works great.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 8:29:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Save your money.  You would much rather wait and get a better quality scope than be disappointed after trying to use something that doesn't work well.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Skip any $200 spotter. Are a vet or have any type of NRA Instructor credential? If so go to Expert City and sign up. You will need to provide a credential (DD214). Once you join, go to Celestron store and get a 65mm Regal M2. You will be much happier. For not a lot more, you can get a superb spotter for the $.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Mostly B
But mine works pretty good out to 300yds with 30cal holes and a bright backer.
Quality costs money, no denying that, but my sub $200 scope works for me. It saves me trips to the 200 and 300yd line.
You will be limited on usable range and clarity, but I couldn't justify $500+ for range convenience. If I was hunting/operating/competing, I'd buy the best I could afford.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
..... see target holes at 500yds+ is gonna cost nearly $800+.
View Quote
I've never heard of a spotting scope that can see holes at 500 yards. Mirage usually kills even the best ones past 300.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:47:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I've never heard of a spotting scope that can see holes at 500 yards. Mirage usually kills even the best ones past 300.
View Quote
Yeah, I don't know about holes @ 500 either, but a good spotter will let you see new hits on freshly painted steel past 1000
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 6:45:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
..... see target holes at 500yds+ is gonna cost nearly $800+.
We use Shoot-n-c targets almost exclusively at any distance beyond a couple hundred yards.  Maybe I should've clarified.

I know a good spotting scope can be used to see the "splatter".  We've been able to use a buddy's golden ring leupold to spot impacts at 500.

I just can't bring myself to spend the $800-$1100 to buy one.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top