Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2017 9:33:49 PM EDT
So, a few years back, I traded an Aimpoint CompM to a member on another forum for a handgun.  The Aimpoint had just sat for a while since I went to a magnified optic.

The fella ended up having a problem.  Swore it was broken.  The dot worked sporadically when shooting on a rifle.  I found it odd, told him to replace the battery/clean connections.  He did, and the damn thing still didn't work.  I offered to "untrade" and we did.  He demonstrated how the light would flicker/dim/not function when banging the scope on something.  No hard feelings on my part.

I stuck the Aimpoint back in the safe.

Well, on my new build, I decided to mount the Aimpoint and give it a whirl since I'd never had problems.  I took it outta the safe, banged the shit outta it multiple times and the light seemed fine.  I put it on the rifle, ran less than a mag, and the scope had shit the bed.

I box it up in the original box (14 years old), composed a letter stating the problem, and sent it to Aimpoint.  This was last week.  I got a notification that UPS had hit the door yesterday.  Awesome!!!

I open the box, find my letter, and find another letter that was very brief and unapologetic.  Basically, it said that they don't have parts, Sweden doesn't have parts, the scope is too old, and they can't fix it.  Whatever.  It had a 10-year warranty; I'm beyond that, so I understand that I have a decorative paperweight.  

I decided to tear into it today.  I mean...what could go wrong, right?  I put a fresh battery in, and consistently knocked it around at different angles.  No light.  So I kept an endcap closed, put my eye flush upon the bell, and manipulated the knob.  No light.  I then wiggled the knob in the "on" position.  A FLASH!  I wiggled some more, kept pressure at about 1 o'clock, and the dot was clear as could be.  Time to break into this bitch!

The power knob is secured by two tiny allen set-screws.  I removed them, and the knob bulled off.  Beneath is hard to describe; there's an elongated screw that had a rod coming up through it.  That "rod" is what protruded for the power knob to slide over and be the mate to the set screws.  There was a brass nut that was securing the whole contraption.  I removed the nut, fiddled, wiggled, and was kinda at a loss.  I put the nut back on, and in the position where it was, I noticed that it wasn't the slightest bit tight.  So, I snugged down on it.  The switch cannot be manipulated without the power knob secured on the unit.  So, I put it all back together.  Went to turn the switch, and it was more stiff than it had been in the past.  When I activated it, POWER!!!  I tried to wiggle the switch, and no wiggle.  I functioned through all settings, and there was no hesitation of the dot's performance.  After that test I proceeded to beat the crap outta it on my workbench.  Not a flicker.  It's fixed.

So, needless to say, I'm happy, yet I'm pretty pissed about Aimpoint's lack of customer service.  They opened the box, read my letter, typed out a poorly written reply, and boxed it back up.  I don't even think they removed it from the molded foam to examine it.

To make matters worse, I purchased a Vortex Sparc last night from a fella on ARF.  I gave him the rundown as there was another interested buyer in the thread, so hopefully he'll refund my money and sell it to the other fella.  If not, no biggie.  I'll just have another optic; it's a valid excuse to go buy another rifle, I guess.

Long story.  Yup.  Sorry.  However, now you could possibly diagnose your own problem if you run into.  Worst case, you can know what to expect from Aimpoint's Customer Service/Warranty Department.

Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics aren;t showing up
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:05:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pics aren;t showing up
View Quote

It was just a picture of a working scope, and a few obligatory rifle pictures.  I'll see if I can fix 'em.

Maybe it's because I'm hosting from my Google Album?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:23:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interesting. Like to see pics (still doesn't show up).
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Finely got pics to show up!
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I reached out to Aimpoint, and got a nice reply from them.

A package was mailed today.  

Wonder what's in the box?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#7]
So go get your handgun back
And take all that red shit off your rifle
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#8]
They are sending you a can of spray paint to spray that poor rifle...  

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Haha.

I wanted something non-traditional.  I've got plenty of "black guns", being that they are black/OD/FDE.  Something different was my key.  I succeeded.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:17:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Haha.

I wanted something non-traditional.  I've got plenty of "black guns", being that they are black/OD/FDE.  Something different was my key.  I succeeded.
View Quote

Guys that wear girls clothes succeeded too
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Probably a new aimpoint or maybe replacement parts if you told them what the problem was.

Aimpoint CS can be difficult to deal with sometimes. I sent back a CompM2 with lens scratched for repair and they received it on 12/05/16. I emailed them on 01/23/17 (7 weeks since they received it) and didn't get a response so I emailed again on 01/27/17 and then get a response on 01/30/17 saying the received it back from Sweden on the 27th and should mail back to me on the 31st and that it was repaired under warranty. So it has been over 8 weeks now but I'm finally getting it back. Hopefully I'll have it today or tomorrow but I have no idea since they don't send tracking info. I love everything about the sight but Aimpoint communication needs work. They do have the habit of repairing under warranty even when it's well out of warranty so that's something to be greatful for.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Interesting story on the Aimpoint.

Also, I have a tip, the penis muzzle brake would suit your rifle well.

Link Posted: 2/2/2017 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#14]
on this episode of pimp my rifle
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#15]
A box arrived today.  Inside:

Mesh hat

4 stickers

2 patches

Aimpoint coffee

A "thank you" note

And that was it...  Reckon it was better than nothing, for a scope that was 4 years out of warranty.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 10:34:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A box arrived today.  Inside:

Mesh hat

4 stickers

2 patches

Aimpoint coffee

A "thank you" note

And that was it...  Reckon it was better than nothing, for a scope that was 4 years out of warranty.
View Quote

Being that the CompC released a year after the M2 I would think they would have the same on/brightness adjustment and battery compartment and that the m2 parts would of worked to fix that. I could be very wrong, it's just a guess but if I'm not wrong they could of sent or repaired your sight.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 2:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Being that the CompC released a year after the M2 I would think they would have the same on/brightness adjustment and battery compartment and that the m2 parts would of worked to fix that. I could be very wrong, it's just a guess but if I'm not wrong they could of sent or repaired your sight.
View Quote

OPs  AP is the CompM
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

OPs  AP is the CompM
View Quote

Whoops! Thanks and sorry. I read it yesterday morning and I must of read something else somewhere that made compC stick in my head.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:45:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I sent an email and left a voice message about my broken switch on a compm3.   no response.  Lot of competition out there will buy elsewhere next time.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#20]
I've emailed them 4 seperate times over the past 2 years asking if I can buy some short screws for a compM4. I found some that work (PRI rail section screws lol) but it would be nice to have the proper ones. Not a big deal but a response would be cool.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I sold my PRO and bought another RV1 and a bunch of ammo. From what I see, same quality of build (mount is a bit different, but ok) as the PRO, uses AA battery. Yep, lots of choices out there for well-made stuff at reasonable prices.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top