Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2016 8:51:21 PM EDT
Got a Leupold VX-2 lenses wet with tap water and dried them with a clean t-shirt and a little pressure.  Will this hurt the lenses at all?
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really sure. Although I know if you used the tap water where I live then it could be a problem. I would say use some alcohol to clean out any of the deposits from the water. Although where I live it is hard water with calcium and lime so they leave marks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 9:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You spent the money on a premium scope, spend a little more on a lens cleaning kit!
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 10:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got a Leupold VX-2 lenses wet with tap water and dried them with a clean t-shirt and a little pressure.  Will this hurt the lenses at all?
View Quote

As long as there was no grit left on the lens or existing in the t-shirt, then the lens will not be hurt.

There are other ways to clean optics, and you should read online. Plenty of sources.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Should be fine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#5]
The shirt was clean and pretty soft, and the scope was brand new but did have some dust and light oil on it.  I have the scope pen on order.  The manual says to use alcohol to clean.  

What percent solution should I use, if at all?  

Will the water/cotton T-shirt combo affect the lense coating at all?
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 7:45:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#7]
bump
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top