Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2016 2:37:25 PM EDT
So I'm looking for a scope for my Mk12 clone.

From a Mk12 purist perspective, the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 is the only answer. When it comes to functionality, most suggest the 2.5-10x42 for the upgraded features and increased exit pupil for low light situations. Generally, most seem to view the x32 as a marginal upgrade or a wash compared to the x24.

1. For those of you that have used a NF 2.5-10x24, is the small exit pupil/eye box as much of an issue as some make it out to be?
2. Has anyone used an x24 *and* either a x32 or x42 model? If so, which did you prefer and why?
3. The x42 and x24 are both roughly $1900-$2000 retail. At that price, would it just be better to get an FFP ATACR 4-16x42?

Also, if you have a Mk12 clone with an NF2.5-10x42 or ATACR on it and have pics, feel free to post
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:53:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm looking for a scope for my Mk12 clone.

From a Mk12 purist perspective, the Nightforce 2.5-10x24 is the only answer. When it comes to functionality, most suggest the 2.5-10x42 for the upgraded features and increased exit pupil for low light situations. Generally, most seem to view the x32 as a marginal upgrade or a wash compared to the x24.

1. For those of you that have used a NF 2.5-10x24, is the small exit pupil/eye box as much of an issue as some make it out to be?  No. It's more than the Leupold Mk4 2.5-8x32 TS30A2 and the eyebox is not as far back.
2. Has anyone used an x24 *and* either a x32 or x42 model? If so, which did you prefer and why?  Have both an older x24 and a newer x42. I prefer the 42 because it gathers light better in some situations. (also, my x24 is an FC2 reticle and capped turrets which is meh...)
3. The x42 and x24 are both roughly $1900-$2000 retail. At that price, would it just be better to get an FFP ATACR 4-16x42? I have no experience with the ATACR but have heard nothing but good things.  That also depends on how close to clone you want.

Also, if you have a Mk12 clone with an NF2.5-10x42 or ATACR on it and have pics, feel free to post
View Quote

I have the following if it tells you anything:
Leupold TS30A2 on Mk12Mod1
NF 2.5-10x42 on OBR Heavy
NF 2.5-10x24 on a 10/22

Give me a few and I'll snap some photos for you.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]

I thought most the MK 12's had leupys on them.

I like the idea of the Tango6 2-12 from a functionality standpoint.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Atacr will be too heavy. With NXS or Mark 6 3-18 you can still run it if want.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#4]
1.  It's a little annoying because of other scopes in the price range having a better eye box.

2. Preferred the 32 over the 24 because better eyebox.

3. 2 grand for a Sfp is retarded
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Here is what I would try if I was modding it slightly for better performance.

I like the 6x magnification range, FFP and auto on/off motion based illumination.

Glass is by LOW who has manufactured glass for NF in the past.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#6]

If you want pics of anything specific just let me know.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't care for anything 1-8x24, let alone ?-10x24.  Too small of an exit pupil for decent field work.  x5 or x6 is about my limit for the 24mm objective lens.  For sitting at a bench and punching holes, maybe, but only if I had to.  I've been spoiled by a couple of 1.5-6x42 scopes; that's a usable exit pupil.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 5:26:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used all of those scopes you mentioned on 5.56 ARs.  The 2.5-10X42 is the only 2.5-10 I still have.  The parallax adjustment and bigger objective brings it up to the status of a real scope IMO.    

The ATACR 4-16 is in a league of it's own and almost too much for an 18" AR.  That being said, it my favorite mid range optic to date and is my favorite all around magnified optic.

Here's my ATACR on an SPR.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I currently own two NX 2.5-10X24s.  I've owned 4 total and I love them.

I wouldn't pay more then $1300 for one.  That was the price you used to be able to buy them new.

For practical use, a Leupold 2.5-8 will function just as well for the job.  Not as sexy though.

I keep a TS30A1 on my MK12MOD1, have the NFs on my MODH and PredatAR.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:59:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I currently have this x42 on an 18" and like it.
No experience with the smaller versions but when I bought this x42 it was for the reasons you mentioned in the OP.

Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I have both a x24 and a x42 in Mil-R reticle.  At this point the x42 is in it's box in my closet and I'm going to be listing to sell it this weekend.

Regarding the eyebox, in August I had extended family in from California and stuck them behind the x24.  People who had never shot before.  At higher magnifications there were a few of them that had issues finding the eyebox at first, but once they had it there was no problems.  Certainly there are more forgiving optics, but once you spend some time behind it and figure out where you need to be I find it pretty easy to get back into the eyebox regularly.

At this point I prefer the x24 due to it's smaller size 2" shorter and 2oz lighter.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
I may be the only one, but my vote goes to the 2.5-10x32.

I like having a full knob for my illumination, instead of the button clicking thing, and for a max of 10 power I don't really see the need for a parallax knob.

The eyebox on NF's in general seem to be small enough that you kinda have to put your head in the same place anyways.

Out to 500 yards I haven't noticed any parallax issues. YMMV
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The x24 is only sold to government agencies per Nightforce. Or it was the last time I looked into it.
View Quote

That was my understanding for a long time, but they did a limited release last October and a few people have said that they are doing one this year as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have both a x24 and a x42 in Mil-R reticle.  At this point the x42 is in it's box in my closet and I'm going to be listing to sell it this weekend.

Regarding the eyebox, in August I had extended family in from California and stuck them behind the x24.  People who had never shot before.  At higher magnifications there were a few of them that had issues finding the eyebox at first, but once they had it there was no problems.  Certainly there are more forgiving optics, but once you spend some time behind it and figure out where you need to be I find it pretty easy to get back into the eyebox regularly.

At this point I prefer the x24 due to it's smaller size 2" shorter and 2oz lighter.
View Quote

I don't know how much time you've spent behind the scope observing/waiting, but the tight eyebox is very fatiguing to me.   Especially when the lighting gets dim.  The 24s and 32s are just not going to hang in there quite as long as the X42.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't know how much time you've spent behind the scope observing/waiting, but the tight eyebox is very fatiguing to me.   Especially when the lighting gets dim.  The 24s and 32s are just not going to hang in there quite as long as the X42.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't used it for hunting yet or anything beyond shooting steel/paper at this point.  Longest individual sitting was probably about 1.5hrs, not constantly looking through the scope.  I completely agree that in low light the x42 is going to be a better option, so really this choice depends what you're going to be using the rifle for.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top