Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2016 5:19:36 PM EDT
I've gotten rid of my EOTech to save weight on my SBR with a Mini Red Dot Sight.  I loved the circle dot reticle but the only options I see for Mini Red Dot Sight a are Holosuns.  Do you trust them on a HD carbine?   Please share any defects or failures you've had.  Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the 503c. So far so good. The auto adjusting reticle has its limitations IMO but it hasn't failed me yet and YouTube has some pretty hard core testing on it.

Let's put it this way, it probably can't be any worse than an eotech and it's half the price lol.
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had the PA version, the md-ads, for a few years now.
It's been on rifles, carbines, 5.56 and 7.62x39, AK and AR.
It's never turned off and is still kicking. Always holds zero.
I'd get more of them if I didn't prefer full size red dots.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If its a HD carbine...If you did have to use it , it is to save your life or loved one's life. With that said, I only trust Aimpoint with my life (sub $500 RDS). Id spend another $150 and get an aimpoint ACO or pro .
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If its a HD carbine...If you did have to use it , it is to save your life or loved one's life. With that said, I only trust Aimpoint with my life (sub $500 RDS). Id spend another $150 and get an aimpoint ACO or pro .
View Quote

I had the same outlook on premium optics and bought an EOTech (EXPS 3-2 MSRP $679) with some input on some high-speed types.  I might end up going with a T2 but would like a lightweight circle dot option.  I was hoping to get some folks chiming in on how their Holosun  broke, failed, etc.  Thanks everyone for their input so far.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought the HS503C for my one and only AR but I have not mounted it yet. I really like the circle dot reticle so far.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I've had three of the 503GUs and love 'em.

Only issue I've every had after sinking them in a pond, freezing them in dry-ice, driving over them with a truck, tying one to a motorcycle wheel was an early model losing its purge in boiling water. Did not compromise the ability of the optic and I've heard the manufacturer may have done something to address this since.

I've had one on my shotgun for 500+ rounds and it's survived while the battery in my Streamlight rail mount light did not. The one on my AR has been fine as well. I've never picked one up and seen it off in 6+months.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've had three of the 503GUs and love 'em.

Only issue I've every had after sinking them in a pond, freezing them in dry-ice, driving over them with a truck, tying one to a motorcycle wheel was an early model losing its purge in boiling water. Did not compromise the ability of the optic and I've heard the manufacturer may have done something to address this since.

I've had one on my shotgun for 500+ rounds and it's survived while the battery in my Streamlight rail mount light did not. The one on my AR has been fine as well. I've never picked one up and seen it off in 6+months.
View Quote

This was a youtube review, right?  This review is what has me considering Holosun as my optic so thank you for your time.  Do you think the ACSS Holosun Primary Arms version will be as tough as the 503GU?
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes, . The sights should be pretty similar internally,it looks like the ACSS does have a different emitter location, probably to optimize the reticle, but I don't see how this would effect durability. Obviously, the ACSS micro doesn't have the windage and elevation guards like the 503GU so if you're going to take a belt sander or baseball bat to it, this could be problematic.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 9:57:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, . The sights should be pretty similar internally,it looks like the ACSS does have a different emitter location, probably to optimize the reticle, but I don't see how this would effect durability. Obviously, the ACSS micro doesn't have the windage and elevation guards like the 503GU so if you're going to take a belt sander or baseball bat to it, this could be problematic.
View Quote

I may go with the 503GU instead because of your youtube torture test.  I'm not worried about me taking a baseball bat to my gun.... I'm worried about another person taking a baseball bat to my gun Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 8:55:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the 503c and it works like a champ.  Original battery had it for about a year.  I keep it in manual mode and leave it off its a one button push to turn on.  Yes it's on my HD rifle
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually have gotten a few people respond with defective units out of the box; Holosun would send them a new unit and it would be 100%.  With customer service like that I'm willing to give Holosun a shot.

I'll post pics once I pick up my Holosun.  Thanks everyone for their input.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 9:25:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, a new torture test on the ACSS version just went live and it's impressive to say the least: ACSS Holosun Torture Test
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 8:12:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I love my 503c (On a 5.56 & 300blk). But I've heard alot of bad things about putting red dots and holographic sights on a 458 Socom. So I'm getting a African dangerous game scope (Meopta Meostar R2 1-6x24 KDot2).
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I have had the holosun 515bu with covers, qd mount, kill flash etc. for about a year now. Absolutley love it and have no complaints! Well worth the money!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:54:21 AM EDT
[#15]
As others stated, they're both great dots for the money. My only gripe is the screws that come with the unit for mounting are over torqued from the factory and a PITA to get off, about stripped mine off on both units attempting to do so.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top