Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/21/2016 9:38:20 PM EDT
Hi folks,

Decided recently to go from two AR's (one in 5.56 and one in 6.8 for hunting) down to focusing my funds and skils into just one (the 5.56). It's a Colt 6920, and I've been cannibalizing the stuff I'd like to keep from both into this one rifle. I feel like I have everything panned out (KAC RAS, B5 sopmod butt, gonna go for a KAC micro flip up, Geissele SSA instead of the SSA-E). Optics wise, I'm sitting with this:

Short - Aimpoint Comp M4
Mid - Trijicon TA31F ACOG
Long - No F'ing idea

What is a good quality optic for reasonably 'reaching out' with an M4 Carbine? I've seen video of scopes on M4's over in Afghanistan, what the heck do they tend to use/get issued if they have to scope a carbine? I do realize that an Acog will reach out and accurately hit targets, but it would be nice to have something with some zoom on a QD mount so I can switch them out depending on what I'm doing. The Leupold Mk4's appear to be talked about often, sometimes positive and sometimes negative..... What would you recommend?

I plan on using this rifle as my all around home defense/SHTF/plinking/bugging out/hunting uses. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stinkyrat

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#1]
TA33

It's 3x and it has a HUGE eyebox meaning you can use it like a RDS to some extent not worrying about exact cheek weld.

Alternately, a 1-4 or 1-6.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I want a VCOG 1-6 for this reason.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The military use all of these;
Nightforce 2-10×32
Vcog 1-6
Luepold Mark 6 1-6 cmr-w
Vortex razor 1-6 mrad

They are all pretty baller scopes though= expensive
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If you were just going to the range, I'd sell you a 3.5-10x Illuminated Leupold for a pretty good price.  But for what you want to do, 1-6x is what I'd get.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 9:34:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It sounds like a 1-6 would suit you well since you want more zoom than an ACOG. With that setup, you wouldn't even need to remove the optic.

It sounds like you have some really nice glass. If you sell them, it can get you a good head start on a really nice 1-6. I run a mk6 1-6 TMR-D and love it
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:32:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks folks!

I actually just got the Comp M4 as a replacement to an Eotech HHS-1 setup so I'm not really looking to pair down to one optic. I do see having three options that are dialed to the rifle so I can swap out depending on the situation.

I.E, hunting I may be walking grounds with trees every 5-10 feet where a coyote might be at a full run and require quick aim and then come to a 400 yard clearcut. I'm thinking the Aimpoint would run till I got to a good spot to over watch the clearcut and swap over to a long range scope.

The Nightforce 2x10 or higher mag is sounding up my alley because it will do higher magnification... Something to think about!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Well look, I've not shot at distance a crap ton.  But I have done some shooting at 300 and 400.  And once at 600.  But get this, all with irons.  I did not find it hard to make hit on man sized targets at all distances.  Well at 600 I was using an 03A3.  But 200,300 and 400 I've shot AR's and M-1 carbines.  I don't think I shot the Carbine at 400.  

But the point I'm making is that, I don't really think you need more than a 4x for distance.  I suppose it depends on how small of a target you're wanting to shoot at.  Or how accurate you want it to be.  But for effective hits on stuff bigger than varmints, you might surprise yourself with an ACOG.  

Otherwise you could go with a PA scope or Vortex, or really whatever floats your boat.  I recommend some kind of target turrets or reticle that deals with that.  I stupidly bought a scope that doesn't have any of that a while back and I really wish I would've.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
You have it all covered with the Aimpoint M4 in a QD mount and an ACOG in a QD mount.  It is just a 6920, don't over-think it.  Save the "long range" optic money and spend it on ammo or training.

I have had no problem bangin' steel at 500 yds with my 3x TA-33 on a DD 14.5" upper.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks folks!

I actually just got the Comp M4 as a replacement to an Eotech HHS-1 setup so I'm not really looking to pair down to one optic. I do see having three options that are dialed to the rifle so I can swap out depending on the situation.

I.E, hunting I may be walking grounds with trees every 5-10 feet where a coyote might be at a full run and require quick aim and then come to a 400 yard clearcut. I'm thinking the Aimpoint would run till I got to a good spot to over watch the clearcut and swap over to a long range scope.

The Nightforce 2x10 or higher mag is sounding up my alley because it will do higher magnification... Something to think about!
View Quote

For an M4 type rifle the 2X bottom end is going to loose a lot of capability as opposed to a true 1X.  

Go for a 1-6X or 1-8X.  You won't miss the extra mag on the high end, but you WILL miss true 1X at close range.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:14:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks folks!

View Quote

I think a 1-6x is too limiting, since you intend to switch QD mounted optics when moving to open field shooting.  I've done that for many years with a QD mounted Kahles 2-7x36 in the woods and transitional areas and carrying a pre-sighted QD mounted higher powered variable with me, such as a 4-12x, for open field still shooting.

Your 2-10x Nightforce thought makes sense. Not sure what your price range is, but the $600 Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 Patrol has pretty good glass and the motion activated FireDot reticle is very useful in low light.  For a 30mm main tube scope it is quite light, a consideration when hunting.  There is also a 4-12x40mm hunting VX-R with CDS elevation turret and capped windage turret, that might serve well.  The illiminated FireDot 2-12x VX-6 with CDS elevation is a step up.  I've not bought one yet, but the VX-6 vlass looks really nice on the ones I've looked at.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top