Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/17/2016 2:46:40 PM EDT
I want to have more versatility than a red dot on this rifle.  

I'm leaning towards an ACOG.  I believe I've narrowed it down to either the 3.5 X 35 TA-11 with the green horseshoe, or the 4 X 32 TA31RCO with the green chevron.

I have two 10.3" SBR's, so this wouldn't be first and foremost an up close and personal rifle.  But then again, if it's what I have at the time it could be.

I like the increased eye relief of the TA-11.  That's a huge plus in my book.  I just wonder if there is a perceivable difference between the 4x and the 3.5x.  I don't think so but I'm not sure.  The TA-11's reticle looks, on a computer screen anyway, more precise and still highly visible for close-in work.

I'm looking for some information and advice from those with experience with them.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I own the 11 and used 31 on a friends rifle. No, there is not enough power difference to matter. The fov is better on the 31 but the eye relief is better on the 11.  Having used them both, I wouldn't buy a 31.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:30:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I recently was in this situation, choosing between the 2 models.

The .5 magnification difference wasn't enough to out weight the eye relief issue. I've been very happy with my TA-11f.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Between those two, TA11.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 11:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]
There isn't a big difference in magnification but the fov is better on the 31. Here's a gif for comparison:

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I've owned both, I still have the TA11. To iterate others' comments, the sacrifice in FOV and weight of the TA11 is worth it over the TA31's ER in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess I'll take up for the 31, here's my thoughts as an owner of multiple examples of 33/31/11s. I love TA-11s, they have a very forgiving eyebox/eye relief and make picking up a sight picture very fast. Yet when I think of the 31, it is lighter, smaller, (very slightly) higher magnification, better FOV (though to be fair it also takes up a proportionate amount of visual space so this is largely moot, see above pic).

If you shoot NTCH, I'd consider the eye relief moot as the 31 is perfect for this. If you don't, or are shooting a larger rifle (my Scar 17 uses a 11 to avoid scope-eye), I'd recommend the 11. There is no 'best', just best for you. Having said that, for NTCH AR-15s, the positives of the 31 far outweigh the lesser eye relief *for me*, and I say that as a owner/fan of both as well as the 33.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have said, it's a trade-off: TA31's smaller size/weight and larger FOV vs TA11's eye relief. Compared to those, the magnification difference isn't really a big factor.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top