Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2016 11:37:23 AM EDT
Just got one of these scopes from Bass Pro. Do I have to use the Nikon mount that is $80? Or can I use a mount thats not so expensive?
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Just got one of these scopes from Bass Pro. Do I have to use the Nikon mount that is $80? Or can I use a mount thats not so expensive?
View Quote

You don't have to use any particular mount, including that one.  But, it is actually toward the low end in price for reliable mounts.  Your scope is no better than the strength and zero retaining ability of its mount.  Don't cheap out.  Mounts are important.

The thing about the M-223 mount that is an issue is not its price.  Nor is it that it is not solidly constructed.  It is well made and will hold zero just fine.  The issue has to do with access to rear folded backup sight, if you have one.   If you don't have a rear sight on the top, the mount will serve well.  

But if you do, you will soon find out tbat the only way to get the M-223 mount on or off the rail is to remove your rear sight and slide the mount onto the rear of the rail.   Once you mount the scope your rear backup sight has to come off to remove the scope.  The inability to have ready access to your backup sights is a huge liability for me.  

Most other one piece cantilever fixed mounts use two hex nuts on the cross slot bolts and a side rail clamp.  Those nuts or thunb screws can be loosened fairly quickly and the scope lifted off of the rail without disturbing the rear sight.  You might want to think about this in making a choice.

Going cheaper, though, might not be wise.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Exactly the info I was looking for, thx. What would you suggest? My rifle doesn't have flip up sights on it yet, but it will....
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You don't have to use any particular mount, including that one.  But, it is actually toward the low end in price for reliable mounts.  Your scope is no better than the strength and zero retaining ability of its mount.  Don't cheap out.  Mounts are important.

The thing about the M-223 mount that is an issue is not its price.  Nor is it that it is not solidly constructed.  It is well made and will hold zero just fine.  The issue has to do with access to rear folded backup sight, if you have one.   If you don't have a rear sight on the top, the mount will serve well.  

But if you do, you will soon find out tbat the only way to get the M-223 mount on or off the rail is to remove your rear sight and slide the mount onto the rear of the rail.   Once you mount the scope your rear backup sight has to come off to remove the scope.  The inability to have ready access to your backup sights is a huge liability for me.  

Most other one piece cantilever fixed mounts use two hex nuts on the cross slot bolts and a side rail clamp.  Those nuts or thunb screws can be loosened fairly quickly and the scope lifted off of the rail without disturbing the rear sight.  You might want to think about this in making a choice.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly the info I was looking for, thx. What would you suggest? My rifle doesn't have flip up sights on it yet, but it will....
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 1:42:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought one of these for a Vortex scope Aero Precision Mount He accepted my $65 dollar offer and sent tracking # within an hour of purchase. It's super light, high quality. You can mount/remove without having to remove a buis. I'd take it over the Nikon mount.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You can definitely use whatever mount you want too. I chose the M-223 XR mount. It has 20MOA built into the mount for more adjustment for longrange shooting.

Link Posted: 1/2/2016 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Grabbed a hi-rise cantilever from RRA. Normally $65 but they have 18% off right now. So $53 plus shipping.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:24:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Leupold Mark 2 IMS has a cross slot mount and is still light at about 6 ounces.  It is lift off removable by two hex nuts.  Its about $85.  Other choices, the RRA and SFA's SALT are ok and cheaper, but about 10.5 to 11 ounces.  Burris PEPR (fixed version) is about 9 ounces.  All are hex nut or thumb screw detachable.  I like the sturdy and light Mark 2.
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 11:37:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can definitely use whatever mount you want too. I chose the M-223 XR mount. It has 20MOA built into the mount for more adjustment for longrange shooting.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/M-223%203-12/M-2233-12RAT1.jpg
View Quote

How do you use your rear sight?  Are you able to use the 20 MOA with the range limits of 5.56?  I guess it doesn't hurt if you can zero at 100, but you should be able to shoot to 700 yards with a 5.56 without the MOA slope, and 5.56 goes transonic at that point, anyway, does it not?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I just bought the m223 mount. I can slide it on over the delta ring. It's tight but it will go.  I don't plan on taking it off...
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Hopefully the weight of the RRA wont be an issue for me. If it is I'll get a lighter one down the road. Thanks for all the info fellas.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought one of these for a Vortex scope Aero Precision Mount He accepted my $65 dollar offer and sent tracking # within an hour of purchase. It's super light, high quality. You can mount/remove without having to remove a buis. I'd take it over the Nikon mount.

http://i694.photobucket.com/albums/vv310/MikeNestor/Mobile%20Uploads/2016-01/20160102_123545_zpszkeh9yia.jpg
View Quote

Just found this for $63.99 with coupon code here:  https://www.slickguns.com/product/25-aero-precision-ultralight-30mm-scope-mounts-various-models-free-shipping-low-5999-coupon-

Link Posted: 1/3/2016 4:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/M-223%203-12/M-2233-12RAT1.jpg
View Quote

I got that mount from a local place for around $55 and it is good enough unless you want the ability to quickly remove the optic/mount.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hopefully the weight of the RRA wont be an issue for me. If it is I'll get a lighter one down the road. Thanks for all the info fellas.
View Quote

The RRA is the first mount I purchased years ago.  The weight is non-issue.  It is a good solid mount, and only the fiercest of mall ninja would need anything better.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:08:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The RRA is the first mount I purchased years ago.  The weight is non-issue.  It is a good solid mount, and only the fiercest of mall ninja would need anything better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Since you are not a mall ninja, may we assume you still use it to the exclusion of everything else?  Or are you saying there is nothing better?  Not knocking the mount, but for weight, but words matter and hyperbole is not helpful in a tech thread.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Since you are not a mall ninja, may we assume you still use it to the exclusion of everything else?  Or are you saying there is nothing better?  Not knocking the mount, but for weight, but words matter and hyperbole is not helpful in a tech thread.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also have an M223 mount, a PEPR mount, and standard rings.  I bought the PEPR for the quick release feature, I got the M223 mount in a trade.  I don't need return to zero mounts, because there is no reason for me to remove my optics on a continuing basis.  I don't need to save ounces on a mount, because I am not humping through the desert.  Regular knobs that can be turned on or off are better than quick release levers, because all uppers, even the ones made by the same manufacturer are a slightly different dimension, and you still have to adjust the quick release levers to each upper.  I also tend not to put back up sights on scoped rifles.  There is no plausible real life scenario that would require me to drop a scope and go to back ups.

I know there are what if, what if, what if, scenarios we could play all day.  But if you are not in a combat or law enforcement role, the chances of those playing out are pretty slim to none.  Face it, the majority of people buy the cool shit because of the power of marketing, and wanting to follow the crowd.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Just made a purchase for the Aero ultralight extended. Promo code worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:16:11 AM EDT
[#17]
You don't HAVE to use the p223 mount. It can be any mount that is the correct size.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 no mall ninjaness here. I just prefer to be able to remove the scope and practice irons without having to rezero the scope.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:29:57 PM EDT
[#19]
i have my m223 in an ADM recon QR scope. Holds zero very well between it an a carry handle.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#20]
In case anyone stumbles across this thread and wonders what else is out there...  I've used a couple of the COOP mounts from Amazon, both in the 1" and 30mm and have been very impressed with both.  While I do not have the Nikon M-223 mount to compare them too, I do have a couple of the Burris PREP mounts (non QD models) and I find the COOP to be of equal use at a much cheaper price (~40 bucks for 1" ~45 for 30mm).
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 5:18:03 PM EDT
[#21]
I don' t have the budget to get really nice rings but I picked up Millet Tactical ring from Walmart for $30.00 and there pretty nice
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Millett-1-Piece-Scope-Mount/27735895

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top