Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2015 6:42:45 PM EDT
Holosun has really peaked my interest for replacing my Eotechs.  I'll probably buy one of the HS503's for now, but when these come out, I intend to buy one, maybe two.  Has anyone had any hands-on experience with them?  I know a guy on Youtube has a short review on all of Holosun's 2015 products and the Tridot was physically in his hands...

I spoke to Wayne at Holosun via email and he said it may be up to 6 months before they are released.  They look awesome and the features for each one are really neat:

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Holosun has really peaked my interest for replacing my Eotechs.  I'll probably buy one of the HS503's for now, but when these come out, I intend to buy one, maybe two.  Has anyone had any hands-on experience with them?  I know a guy on Youtube has a short review on all of Holosun's 2015 products and the Tridot was physically in his hands...

I spoke to Wayne at Holosun via email and he said it may be up to 6 months before they are released.  They look awesome and the features for each one are really neat:

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/turbocivic_01/media/catalog-holosun-optics-trade-2015-16-638_zps2azpt52v.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/turbocivic_01/catalog-holosun-optics-trade-2015-16-638_zps2azpt52v.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/turbocivic_01/media/catalog-holosun-optics-trade-2015-15-638_zpsppk4xxgy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/turbocivic_01/catalog-holosun-optics-trade-2015-15-638_zpsppk4xxgy.jpg</a>
View Quote

If the price is right ill trying for sure. I wonder about the durability.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/turbocivic_01/media/catalog-holosun-optics-trade-2015-16-638_zps2azpt52v.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/turbocivic_01/catalog-holosun-optics-trade-2015-16-638_zps2azpt52v.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s87.photobucket.com/user/turbocivic_01/media/catalog-holosun-optics-trade-2015-15-638_zpsppk4xxgy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k125/turbocivic_01/catalog-holosun-optics-trade-2015-15-638_zpsppk4xxgy.jpg</a>

Can't be any worse than EOTech
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:36:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol. I was going to go there but I didn't want to derail another thread and get accused of being some EOtech hater.

I just want an EOtech reticle with Aimpoint durability and battery life. I'd sell every red dot I own for a dot that could deliver that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:58:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder why they're still going with the 8 hour auto shutoff.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:51:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:56:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I don't think anything Holosun is going to kill eotech
View Quote

Ditto. No other holographic sight has been put to test as much as Eotech. Yes they have their problems but comparing holosun to an eotech is a pretty far stretch imho.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Preserves emitter life

Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto. No other holographic sight has been put to test as much as Eotech. Yes they have their problems but comparing holosun to an eotech is a pretty far stretch imho.

I guess you've missed the big threads  and lawsuit. Every single EOTech ever made is defective. They all suffer POI shift as the temperature changes, lose the nitrogen purge and are vulnerable to water/humidity.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Preserves emitter life

I guess you've missed the big threads  and lawsuit. Every single EOTech ever made is defective. They all suffer POI shift as the temperature changes, lose the nitrogen purge and are vulnerable to water/humidity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preserves emitter life

Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. EOtech is a military grade sight that isn't military grade.  The only reason it has the die hard followers that it does is due to it being used, despite its multiple issues, by the pros.

If EOtech came out today with everything we know about the sights people on this site would say it's a range toy at best.

They'd treat it just like holosun which is funny since holosun doesn't even seem to have the EOtech issues.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactly. EOtech is a military grade sight that isn't military grade.  The only reason it has the die hard followers that it does is due to it being used, despite its multiple issues, by the pros.

If EOtech came out today with everything we know about the sights people on this site would say it's a range toy at best.

They'd treat it just like holosun which is funny since holosun doesn't even seem to have the EOtech issues.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preserves emitter life

Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen the threads and am sending my Eotech back. What I meant is if you replace all issued Eotechs in use with holosuns I'd guarantee there would be more issues to arise.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Preserves emitter life

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Preserves emitter life

Quoted:
Quoted:

Not accurate. Every Eotech sold by L3 has been defective, as they jacked up their capability claims without any associated reengineering.

Pre purchase by E3, Eotech met its advertised capabilities.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Goddammt guys...can we please not make this ANOTHER Eotech thread...if it's a tech comparison, cool, otherwise I would really like to keep this about Holosun.

There isn't a ton of info out about these specific sights so I'd like to keep this thread focused towards that direction...
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Goddammt guys...can we please not make this ANOTHER Eotech thread...if it's a tech comparison, cool, otherwise I would really like to keep this about Holosun.

There isn't a ton of info out about these specific sights so I'd like to keep this thread focused towards that direction...
View Quote

Because those specific sights are just about brand new. No one knows anything about them. I haven't seem them at any retailer.

ETA: Actually, you said it yourself. They haven't even been released. Can't really give any info on something that's not out. It could look awesome on paper and perform horribly in real life under certain conditions (like EOTech )
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Because those specific sights are just about brand new. No one knows anything about them. I haven't seem them at any retailer.

ETA: Actually, you said it yourself. They haven't even been released. Can't really give any info on something that's not out. It could look awesome on paper and perform horribly in real life under certain conditions (like EOTech )
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed, but there has to be some guys out there that have used them/experimented/tested.  I'll post the video from YouTube when I get off of my phone where he has the Tridot in his hands.  Judging on that video alone, there has to be a handful of them out there and hopefully this thread will draw some of those individuals in that have actually handled one...this is more so what I meant...
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS:

Holosun is great for cheap optics and feeding the ChiComm budget

Link Posted: 12/30/2015 1:44:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

THIS. I think HS needs to be more careful with their ad wording. I have the 503c and was kind of let down by some expectations. I LOVE the sight... but it's not exactly as described.

First of all, the "always on" is simply not true. It WILL time out after about 8-10 hrs (goes dark). How is that "always on"? I wanted something that I did not have to find the power button on when grabbing in the night, and these are not it.

Second, the "dual power" is not so. The 503C (which is also touted as "dual power") will NOT run w/o a battery. I can TOTALLY cut off all light (when in so called "solar mode") and there is STILL a (although faint) illuminated dot (it's just dimmer). Obviously, what they mean instead of "dual power" or "solar mode" is: "Solar regulating", meaning that when in "solar mode" it will regulate itself to use less battery power if the unit senses enough light to not warrant the extra battery juice. While "manual mode" is accurate, it's full on manual with no "regulation" outside of what power you set it to.

Thirdly, that battery tray has to go. It is held in by the smallest screws known to man (kidding) and requires an "eye glasses repair kit" micro sized phillips screwdriver to move them (which is not supplied). I was fortunate to have a LM Wave multitool on me, which has that micro phillips head in it.

Other than that... their circle dots are crisp, the reticle is a fantastic size, it's light, compact and a GREAT value (and I'm sure these HUD units would be as well).
But..... I urge HS to have a tech person rewrite the advertising (and manual) to properly describe the functions.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]
The battery needs changing about once every 5 years or so depending on the use so just like a watch, the screws are small.  Just use a mini screw driver with a longer handle if your hands have difficulties.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:10:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

THIS. I think HS needs to be more careful with their ad wording. I have the 503c and was kind of let down by some expectations. I LOVE the sight... but it's not exactly as described.

First of all, the "always on" is simply not true. It WILL time out after about 8-10 hrs (goes dark). How is that "always on"? I wanted something that I did not have to find the power button on when grabbing in the night, and these are not it.

Second, the "dual power" is not so. The 503C (which is also touted as "dual power") will NOT run w/o a battery. I can TOTALLY cut off all light (when in so called "solar mode") and there is STILL a (although faint) illuminated dot (it's just dimmer). Obviously, what they mean instead of "dual power" or "solar mode" is: "Solar regulating", meaning that when in "solar mode" it will regulate itself to use less battery power if the unit senses enough light to not warrant the extra battery juice. While "manual mode" is accurate, it's full on manual with no "regulation" outside of what power you set it to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The always on refers to the fact that there is a motion detection sensor in the optic so if you have it in the bag for months and pull it out, it will auto detect the ambient light, automatically turning on to use..  The 8 hours off is an auto off due to lack of motion- sleep mode.

If you hold down the plus button three seconds, it will go manual and if you do the same again, it will go into automatic mode.  

Please read your user guide and it will explain all of this.  There are also many good review videos that cover this feature.  There is no reason you cannot achieve your goal of being always ready.  Just put it into the right mode and it will be there to rock at a motion's notice.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS:

http://www.themakogroup.com/meprolightmepro-tru-dot-rds.html

View Quote

There is nothing cheap about this optic. It just uses an LED technology that is efficient and costs less than the competitors.  Less expensive doesn't mean less quality.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:28:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Its a beat of an optic.  3 meters deep submersion, keeps zero when dropped/taken off and put back on the rail, frozen, rough conditions...you name it.  Of course, anything can break so its within reason but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:29:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Middlelength

Holosun has that.  There are various models.

www.holosun.com/store
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 10:31:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm pretty sure Eotech fell on it's own sword...

I'll trust my life to Aimpoint and Trijicon.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:33:24 PM EDT
[#22]
I replaced my Eotech 552 and 512s (3) with Holosun 515Cs.

So far, so good.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS:

http://www.themakogroup.com/meprolightmepro-tru-dot-rds.html

View Quote
After the continued Mako mag thread debacle I don't think I'll be going anywhere near anything Mako.  Especially at that price

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:07:43 AM EDT
[#24]
piqued your interest.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eotech has done a pretty good job of that by itself.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 12:22:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After the continued Mako mag thread debacle I don't think I'll be going anywhere near anything Mako.  Especially at that price
View Quote

Eh, Mako just resells stuff. The mags aren't made by the same guys as the optics.

The thing I really like about the HS510C is that you can remove the riser and make it go lower. Very handy for guns with lower sight planes. I'll definitely be mounting one up on a 9mm PCC in the future.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top