Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2015 5:43:57 PM EDT
It also appears the red dot vanishes in the top/upper left part of the optic. Even on full brightness

Im not having any luck with this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPpZ2kvQP8
ARF Thread
NY Firearms Thread

I called customer service this morning about these issues. I was told the disappearing dot in the upper 1/3 of the view is normal and a replacement sight would have the same issue.
View Quote

Got this on Black Friday and waited almost 4 weeks for it to ship from a certain company. If this is normal I'm debating on just EEing it. Anyone else have similar problems with newer gen dots?

My old TRS-25 did not have this issue. I heard Bushnell changed something.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope not. I have one showing up tomorrow because for $69 I heard they are unbeatable. Again, for $69.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#2]
So was there ever any confirmation on the bad batch comment?
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I sent mine back to Buschnell a few years ago and they sent me a new one, bought it from Tiger outfitters, RIP

ETA: one year ago, the dot would completely go away.

Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#4]
There are multiple threads here on this issue.  The cause is an intentional relocation of the position of the emitter diode and its shroud.  In earlier models, like the one I have, the dot is visible in tbe entire field of view.  The change, for reasons unknown, results in the dot disappearing in the upper 1/3.

Unless Bushnell has finally responded to the landslide of complaints, its still a problem they choose to ignore.  Any red dot should be usable off angle.  While the design defect does not render it completely useless, it is both poor design and poor corporate response to the very real issue.  At least it is cheap and not trying to be duty grade.
Link Posted: 12/23/2015 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmmmm. Well, if mine does that tomorrow it'll go right back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:27:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I had one where the red dot  would disappear completely  for a few  seconds after each shot, then reappear
Ditched  it, will never buy another....

Inexpensive with decant quality sights Look no further than Primary Arms , under 100 bucks for 2MOA  just got another  one few days ago  with flip cap's a Kill flash for $69

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys Im probably going to just sell it as is. Shouldn't be too hard to make the money back.

I will however give a full disclosure. I was hoping to throw this on a truck gun. But it seems like the newer TRS-25 are no where as good as the older batches. For a plinker or 22lr its fine I guess...

The store in that I purchased it from basically said I'm on my own and I need to contact the manufacturer. They didn't even offer a return.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks guys Im probably going to just sell it as is. Shouldn't be too hard to make the money back.
I will however give a full disclosure. I was hoping to throw this on a truck gun. But it seems like the newer TRS-25 are no where as good as the older batches. For a plinker or 22lr its fine I guess...
The store in that I purchased it from basically said I'm on my own and I need to contact the manufacturer. They didn't even offer a return.
View Quote
Send it here and in a few weeks you will have a new one, mine lives on a .22 and it works perfect.

http://www.bushnell.com/global/customer-service/product-repairs/repair-form

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Send it here and in a few weeks you will have a new one, mine lives on a .22 and it works perfect.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did the fix the disappearing dot in the upper 1/3 of field of view, or just send you another that does the same thing?  I don't know jow they can repair it, as the emitter shroud blocks the upper part of the screen.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Got rid of mine for the same reason, try a PA micro.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#11]
I have two and have never had issues with either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one on a Ruger 22/45 .22 pistol, one on a WASR10 AK, and just recently mounted one on my KSG. All three have at least 200 rounds on each gun and no issues so far. I did expect the one on the KSG to break but I have been lucky so far. If they do indeed fail, I will replace them with Primary arms RDSs as needed.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are they newer or older models?
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:15:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I have suggested them to others also.

Mine are both about 3 years old.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 11:36:14 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Did the fix the disappearing dot in the upper 1/3 of field of view, or just send you another that does the same thing?  I don't know jow they can repair it, as the emitter shroud blocks the upper part of the screen.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They sent me a new one sealed in plastic, and I have not noticed anything wrong with it, view is good and all the settings work fine.

Link Posted: 12/24/2015 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think around 2011 or 2012.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 5:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one around that time. It was very well made and did not have that issue. The newer ones look like they came out of a different factory.

The power knob doesn't even have a positive click as well. It's like they made something good, got all these good reviews, and suddenly cheaped out.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought 2 this summer and both are fine. One I have to ham fist the illumination knob to turn it, but it works.
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 10:20:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It also appears the red dot vanishes in the top/upper left part of the optic. Even on full brightness

Im not having any luck with this thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtPpZ2kvQP8
ARF Thread
NY Firearms Thread

I called customer service this morning about these issues. I was told the disappearing dot in the upper 1/3 of the view is normal and a replacement sight would have the same issue.
View Quote

Got this on Black Friday and waited almost 4 weeks for it to ship from a certain company. If this is normal I'm debating on just EEing it. Anyone else have similar problems with newer gen dots?

My old TRS-25 did not have this issue. I heard Bushnell changed something.
View Quote

If I am not mistaken, the emitter relocation is on the Hi-Rise clamshell models.  The ones that come in the plastic clamshell instead of the actual box.  The part number ends in C.

I would not write off the TRS-25 as a whole, but just stay away from the white lettered clamshell model.  If Bushnell has relocated the emitter on all versions, then it is possible they have ruined a good thing.

I was looking at your video and saw you complaining about the red line or shadow in a portion of the view.  Mine are the same way, but with my emitter at the 4 O'Clock position instead of 6, the shadow is at an angle on the left quadrant.  It not visible during actual use, especially outdoors.  You really have to be looking for it, on higher settings indoors, for it to be visible.  So I would call that a non-issue.

I still plan on buying a couple more TRS-25, as mine have worked well for me, but I only plan on doing so if I look through it and verify the emitter location first.  With most places price matching online vendors these days, I should still be able to get a decent price when they go on sale.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 12:19:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Sorry wasn't my video. I found that it was the easiest way to show what I was trying to say.

I didn't notice a line or anything, heck I wasn't looking for it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Christmas update.
Opened up my TRS. It's obviously a new model. Emmiter is at the 6 o'clock position. I can confirm the dot, at medium and low brightness settings disappears starting at roughly the top 20% of the sight.

Now, if I put it in the highest brightness setting I can still see it on the very top but it's dim and now that I think about it I probably won't be able to see it in sunlight.

It's a shame too because the actual dot, while not perfect, is actually more of a dot than my T1 or PA advanced dot. The starburst effect is minimal.

So I put it on my MI rail mount in my 74. It's not perfect but it's tolerable. To me. For now. Lol. I'll run with it and see what I think. My 74 has the recoil of a BB gun so if it holds up I'll rock it.

The knob that turns it on and adjusts the brightness is sort of hard to turn. There are discernable clicks but they are soft. Not like the more expensive sights. It feels like the Tru Glo red dot I have on my GSG-5. It also spins around 100%+ like my Tru Glo. Meaning instead of having to stop at the highest setting and then having to turn it the opposite way to turn the brightness down and then off you can just go from 11 to off. Part of me actually liked that because it goes from a nice bright daylight setting to straight off but I wonder if it lends itself to breaking easier.

I'll have to see how it holds up, but as of right now I think you'd be better off buying the Tru Glo dot for $39. It as the same feel.

Now it seems if you can get your hands on an older model you'd be squared away.

I just can't get over how they'd knowingly re-engineer a great sight to one that you can't see in the upper portion of the sight. And it sounds like from what the other poster said they know about it and don't think it's an issue. A shame. But we will see. I'm pretty lazy and for $69 I'll try it instead of sending it back. If worst comes to worst I'll just give it away here on the forum.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:04:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I ended up selling the Bushnell. I picked up the Truglo version of the Primary Arms/Holosun advanced micro dot(Same factory/design). I'll make another thread on it once it arrives. I'm hoping they take T1 mounts. But it does come with a low/high mount which is nice for the money. ($145 shipped)
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 4:34:37 PM EDT
[#23]
For those still following this thread, you can't go by the color of the exterior brand labeling.  Mine has white letters and came in the clamshell plastic with the hi-rise mount, but still had the favored 4 o'clock emitter location.  The dot is visible anywhere in the field of view.

This may have been a transition model.  I dont know.  Only sure way to tell is to look at the emitter location.  4 o'clock is GTG.  6 o'clock is not.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:16:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For those still following this thread, you can't go by the color of the exterior brand labeling.  Mine has white letters and came in the clamshell plastic with the hi-rise mount, but still had the favored 4 o'clock emitter location.  The dot is visible anywhere in the field of view.

This may have been a transition model.  I dont know.  Only sure way to tell is to look at the emitter location.  4 o'clock is GTG.  6 o'clock is not.
View Quote

When did you purchase it?  They were out for a few months, maybe a year, before people started complaining about not being able to see the front sight tip due to the emitter being moved to the 6 O'clock position.  It was a few months after that people started complaining about losing the dot in the upper viewing area.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#25]
You know what?  Fuck keeping it. I'm calling them Monday and I'm going to tell them I want a new one with the emitter at four o'clock. It's crazy they let these go out the door like this.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Following this thread. I have three of these red dots. Two are g2g and one, white lettering, clam shell packaging, has the disappearing dot. Totally disco.  Please keep us updated on your success with Bushnell. If they take care of you I'll go to the trouble to send mine in too. Painful...
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 5:48:29 PM EDT
[#27]
If I am not mistaken, it isn't the fact that the emitter is at 6 O'clock that is the problem.  I think they put too much epoxy on some of them, partially covering the lens.  Some at the 6 O'Clock still show the dot all the way around.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:35:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When did you purchase it?  They were out for a few months, maybe a year, before people started complaining about not being able to see the front sight tip due to the emitter being moved to the 6 O'clock position.  It was a few months after that people started complaining about losing the dot in the upper viewing area.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I really can't recall.  It's been at least two, perhaps three years ago.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
If I am not mistaken, it isn't the fact that the emitter is at 6 O'clock that is the problem.  I think they put too much epoxy on some of them, partially covering the lens.  Some at the 6 O'Clock still show the dot all the way around.
View Quote

Others have speculated that the emitter hood on the 6 o'clock version protrudes too far.  I really don't know, but it is limited to the 6 o'clock version.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 4:13:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok. I just called Bushnell and spoke to a guy named Joe. I told him what was happening and he knew what is was and told me it was due to the 6 o'clock emitter change.

He admitted they changed it. He admitted it fucked it up. He even said they are changing it back but not until the end of the year. I'm assuming he meant end of 2016.

So I asked him straight up if I was stuck with this and he said sorry, yes.

So produce an awesome product. Cheap out and fuck it up. Change it back but tell the customers who bought the shitty product to fuck off. We have your money.

Fuck Bushnell.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Any attorneys in our midst who are willing or able to write a credible lawyer letter? I'm sure Bushnell would be interested in resolving this right away if there was a threat of a class action lawsuit.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Any attorneys in our midst who are willing or able to write a credible lawyer letter? I'm sure Bushnell would be interested in resolving this right away if there was a threat of a class action lawsuit.
View Quote

You know I was prepared for it because others have reported the same but it was still crazy to hear him say it. I probably would have been furious if I had been blind sided by it. Their phone operators probably get lit up by people over that.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#33]
I don't understand how placing the emitter in a different spot is what causes the dot to disappear.  If it was just a matter of placement, the dot would disappear in top left quadrant on the ones where the emitter is mounted off to the side.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 7:03:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I don't understand how placing the emitter in a different spot is what causes the dot to disappear.  If it was just a matter of placement, the dot would disappear in top left quadrant on the ones where the emitter is mounted off to the side.
View Quote

Maybe they didn't change the angle on the front glass to compensate?  Maybe the angle of the emitter has to be different and they didn't account for that?

All I know is.....WHY FUCKING TOUCH IT?!!  It was perfect. The cheap farks probably wanted to save a penny.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#35]
My Truglo came today. I'm more than happy, I'll have to right a review on it once I'm able to shoot it.

It's basically a Holosun/Primary arms with mounts already included. Also the screws attaching the rds to the mount already have thread locker on them.

For $145 Shipped with 2 different height risers it was a steal.

Cost twice as much as the TRS but I think its worth it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top