BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 30
Posted: 8/25/2015 7:45:52 PM EDT
Trijicon MRO Review and comparison against the Aimpoint T2

The Trijicon MRO or miniature rifle optic is the latest offering into the world of micro red-dot optics. Aimpoint has long been king in this arena, but Trijicon’s MRO is a strong contender to take the throne.

Known for the nearly indestructible ACOG line of magnified optics, Trijicon is no stranger to quality products. This time around they’ve decided to shake things up a bit and possibly take over as leader in bombproof micro red-dot optics.

Enter the MRO. The MRO is a newly designed micro red-dot that boasts an impressive list of features. To start with the MRO measures up at 2.6” long, 1.7”  wide, and  2.0”  high as compared to AImpoint’s T2 which comes in at 2.7 in long, 1.6”  wide, and 1.4”  high. The MRO weighs in at 4.1 oz with the battery installed and no mount and the T2 tips the scales at 3.4 oz with no mount and no battery installed.

I can see! The objective lens of the MRO is one area where things start to get exciting. Trijicon made a huge improvement here, 5mm to be exact. The MRO has an objective lens of 25mm while the T2 objective is only 20mm. When dealing with micro optics, that’s a big improvement, especially when considering both optics are roughly the same size. This increase in size helps to reduce any “tunneling” effect felt while looking through the optic. I can tell you first hand it feels as though peripheral vision has been increased exponentially.

The glass itself on the MRO is superbly clear, as with all Trijicon optics, and was void of any noticeable tint or hue. Both optics have excellent glass, but I felt the image downrange to be sharper when looking through the MRO as compared to the T2.

Turn it on! Trijicon was smart when they decided on placement of the on/off, brightness adjustment knob. Having it on top allows the shooter to increase or decrease the brightness or switch to NV modes with either hand. This was a welcome change from the T2. I shoot left handed and if I transition the rifle to my weak hand, it is difficult to increase/decrease brightness, while staying ready on the gun. Having the adjustment up top makes it far less cumbersome to make any changes.

I also appreciate having a mid-position on/off setting on the MRO. To turn the optic on or off just turn the rotary knob half the amount of clicks from your last setting versus having to dial it all the way back down. Fast on/fast off, a welcome addition. Both optics had very tactile clicks while adjusting brightness. That being said I feel the MRO had more positive clicks and the T2 exhibited a small amount of mushiness noticed while indexing between adjustments.

Adjustment for days. The windage and elevation adjusters on the MRO are flush to the optic itself eliminating any chance of inadvertent changes of your mechanical zero during rough handling. I cannot express enough how much I hate having to take caps off in order to adjust my zero. The MRO changed the game here, no more caps to take off before I can change my zero. In addition to that the T2 relies on a rubber O ring to prevent water from entering the adjustment towers. Rubber O rings degrade over time raising the possibility of water entering the optic.

The flush, sealed turrets on the MRO are easily adjusted with a flat head screwdriver or coin. The T2 relies on a special 2 pronged adjustment tool or if you don’t have that in your range bag, you can use the windage cap as it has that 2 pronged tool built into it. Think about that for a second; if I want to adjust the elevation on my T2 and don’t have the Aimpoint tool, I have to now take off both caps in order to adjust just the elevation. By the way you’re still going to need either a flat head screw driver or coin to remove the slotted cap on the elevation adjustment cap just to get the 2 pronged tool in there.

The MRO has a total adjustment range of 70 moa and the T2 has…..I’m not really sure. I couldn’t find that information in any of Aimpoint’s literature. Not on the website or in the instruction booklet.

The dot. The dot itself on the MRO appeared to be just that; a sharp and crisp round dot. Even when I placed my Eotech 3X magnifier behind the MRO the dot didn’t morph into some other shape. This allows for precise hits on target, with or without a magnifier. The dot on the T2 appeared more oblong in my experience.
The MRO has 8 total settings; 6 are daytime brightness settings and 2 are NV compatible (hi and low). The T2 has 12 total settings; 8 are daytime and 4 are NV compatible. I was amazed that even during the brightest daylight the dot on the MRO was still readily visible. I didn’t have to hunt for the dot against any backgrounds. The T2 performed equally as well.

Battery life. Both optics use a 3V lithium CR2032 type battery. Until now the Aimpoint line-up has long been the king of battery life. The T2 is no different boasting a 5 year run time when the optic is set to position 8 of 12 and drops to 10 months when set to position 10 of 12. Trijicon has risen to the challenge, the MRO has a 5 year battery life when set to position 3 of 8.

Mounts. Trijicon includes 3 mounts with each MRO. A low mount, a full co-witness mount and a lower 1/3 co-witness mount, albeit none of which are quick detach. The T2 comes with their proprietary LRP mount which is in fact quick detach. After market support is ramping up and company’s such as ADM, Larue, Midwest Industries, etc are all working on mounts for the MRO. While these are not currently available I expect them to be available for purchase within the next coming week/s.

Build quality.  The MRO is made from forged 7075 aircraft grade aluminum and is fully sealed against the elements. It is also waterproof to 30 meters or 100 feet. Aimpoint states the T2 is made of “extruded high strength aluminum” but gives no exact specs. The adjustment towers are protected via rubber O rings placed at the base of each tower and is waterproof to 25 meters or 80 feet. The MRO allows you another 20 feet to operate operationally whilst under water.

Conclusion. I have been using various red-dot optics for a number of years. I have used them in multiple roles as well; some are used as a primary optic while others have been used offset to a primary magnified optic. I have had the PRO, T1, and now the T2. While all of the Aimpoint’s are quality optics I feel the Trijicon MRO is the evolution of what a micro red-dot should be. Bombproof, a larger objective lens and FOV, battery life rivaling that of Aimpoint, completely sealed and weather resistant and with better ergonomics. In my opinion….All hail the new King!

Trijicon MRO MSRP $579.00
Aimpoint T2 MSRP $846.00

Psalms 18 28
You, LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 7:56:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Haha I just looked up the Bible reference, good for Trijicon, my favorite optics company, I'm going to order one now
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't wait for them to start shipping.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#3]
In for the review
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haha I just looked up the Bible reference, good for Trijicon, my favorite optics company, I'm going to order one now
View Quote

"You, LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light."
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I need one of these.  Gonna give it a while and wait for a few reviews to roll in before pulling the trigger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#6]
So it looks like it uses a proprietary mounting system?  That's bummer, would be nice if they used the ACOG style base.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:24:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Pics side by side with a T1/H1 through the lens would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 12:30:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Congrats and looking forward to your review

Cheers
Shannon
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pics side by side with a T1/H1 through the lens would be appreciated.
View Quote

I had sold my T1 a while back, Ill see if I can get another, I would like to a direct side by side comparison.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I found this the other day. Informative and interesting.

Travis Haley - TRIJICON MRO OPTIC REVEAL

Travis Haley - TRIJICON MRO RANGE AFTER ACTION

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Does it have a forged housing?  Judging by the nicks and imperfections, it doesn't have the smooth and uniform surface of the Aimpoint, I also see flashing in the middle (on top and bottom)

I'm all for forged, I don't care about looks, even if the MRO does look strange because we're not used to plumbing pipe appearance

ETA it does have a forged body Trijicon literature
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:30:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does it have a forged housing?  Judging by the nicks and imperfections, it doesn't have the smooth and uniform surface of the Aimpoint, I also see flashing in the middle (on top and bottom)

I'm all for forged, I don't care about looks, even if the MRO does look strange because we're not used to plumbing pipe appearance

View Quote

Yes just like the Trijicon ACOG, VCOG, Reflex, SRS and perhaps also the RMR. They are all cast 'forged' my bad. It may be less expensive, but they are all tough as nails.

If it performs as it should then it's a winning package.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

From the Trijicon website

"Hard-anodized, forged 7075-T6 housing is fully sealed and waterproof, providing durability in demanding conditions"
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:39:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yes just like the Trijicon ACOG, VCOG, Reflex, SRS and perhaps also the RMR. They are all cast. It may be less expensive, but they are all tough as nails.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes just like the Trijicon ACOG, VCOG, Reflex, SRS and perhaps also the RMR. They are all cast. It may be less expensive, but they are all tough as nails.

Theyre forged, not cast
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 2:14:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I cant tell from the pics, is that the absolute or lower 1/3 mount?
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Looks to be lower 1/3, but trijicon gives the option of absolute, lower 1/3, or really low

I stand corrected...
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Looks to be lower 1/3, but trijicon gives the option of absolute, lower 1/3, or really low
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This pic makes it look like absolute, but the other full rifle shots make it look like lower 1/3

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 3:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry for the delay, it's the full co-witness mount
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#20]
I saw these on your instagram earlier, looking forward to the review and getting my hands on one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:37:59 PM EDT
[#21]
The more I see of these, the more I want one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:47:12 PM EDT
[#22]
It is kinda ugly but growing on me, I think I might have to get one. I have seen some pics with a different mount that looks an awful lot like a Larue mount....
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 10:29:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It is kinda ugly but growing on me, I think I might have to get one. I have seen some pics with a different mount that looks an awful lot like a Larue mount....
View Quote

Img sure he has one designed and ready to go.  Scalarworks is designing one.  I bet the other big players are going to be making mounts as well.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:50:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This is exactly what I ordered.  Less than $500 shipped to my door, I don't see how I could miss.  For anyone wanting to wait on picking one up for fear of durability issues, I think you should put a little more faith in Trijicon and the hundreds of thousands of optics they have built thus far.  
Quoted:

The pics on the Trijicon website show the LaRue mount.  I think this optic is going to be a big hit, I don't suspect many manufacture will want to miss out on selling aftermarket mounts for the RMO.  If mounts aren't available at the same time as the optic, I'm sure they won't lag too far behind. The stock Trijicon mounts look nice for those not wanting QD, I like that they have done away with the ungainly and snag prone thumb knobs of previous mounts.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:02:05 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm gonna wait for the LaRue mount and optic combo so I can over pay for everything.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm in for 2.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:07:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Don't get me wrong, I like the optic a lot, but MY GOODNESS IT IS UGLY.

Not that it matters...
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Thank You Trijicon for offering such a quality optic in its class for a good price.... yes the aimpoints would be close it if wasnt for the $75-100 tariff/import tax
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#29]
I looked through one last weekend.  It had an incredibly clear picture.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Any aftermarket mounts currently available? The only one I could find was the DLOC. Is this the price point we should expect from the other manufacturers? Looks fugly and like it wouldn't take much to break it.
http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=45&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:52:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Here are some more pics, some with an Eotech 3x magnifier behind it

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:27:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Any aftermarket mounts currently available? The only one I could find was the DLOC. Is this the price point we should expect from the other manufacturers? Looks fugly and like it wouldn't take much to break it.
http://www.alamofourstar.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&product_id=45&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&pop=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
View Quote

I have seen several pictures with what appears to be a Larue mount, I'm sure everyone is going to make a mount for this.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have seen several pictures with what appears to be a Larue mount, I'm sure everyone is going to make a mount for this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I emailed ADM and according to them, they will have mounts available September 1st.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a Aimpoint T2 inbound for the comparison.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Are these in stock anywhere yet?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:47:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Traditionally, it's recommended to mount RDS/holos as far forward on the upper receiver. With the MROs flared objective lens side, is it better to mount it farther back to take advantage of the added FOV or should it still be placed as far forward?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 7:51:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Personally, I like red dots mounted closer to my eye so I can have maximum viewing surface to see the dot move during recoil but I usually end up mounting it above the magwell so i can fit a magnifier.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 8:14:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

No not yet
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

No not yet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No not yet

Trijicon confirmed on their Facebook that the MRO will start shipping Sept 1st. I don't know if that means they will be shipping these to dealers on the 1st or if they will allow dealers to ship to customers on the 1st. Hoping it's the latter. Either way, I still need a mount from LaRue, ADM, or MI.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 9:13:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Trijicon confirmed on their Facebook that the MRO will start shipping Sept 1st. I don't know if that means they will be shipping these to dealers on the 1st or if they will allow dealers to ship to customers on the 1st. Hoping it's the latter. Either way, I still need a mount from LaRue, ADM, or MI.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No not yet

Do you have a facebook link for that information.  I was unable to find it.  I hope that you are right and that the release date hasn't been pushed back like I have read on other forums.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 3:28:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Do you have a facebook link for that information.  I was unable to find it.  I hope that you are right and that the release date hasn't been pushed back like I have read on other forums.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No not yet

On my phone so I don't have a link but look at their post where they asked if people had starting pre-ordering them yet. I said I had already ordered mine from SWFA, asked when they would ship, and asked if aftermarket companies had samples to start making mount concepts. This was their reply.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
On my phone so I don't have a link but look at their post where they asked if people had starting pre-ordering them yet. I said I had already ordered mine from SWFA, asked when they would ship, and asked if aftermarket companies had samples to start making mount concepts. This was their reply.

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/wsenefeld/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-08-31-03-19-01.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No not yet

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g432/wsenefeld/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-08-31-03-19-01.png
Sweet!  Now that's good news.  I know I'm cutting it tight, but I also have one ordered from SWFA and have a two day carbine class on Sept 18 & 19th.  I sure would like to run this optic at the class.  

I'm not getting too excited just yet because if Trijicon ships on the 1st, then it takes a while for the retail vendors to receive it and then it will take a while for them to ship it out.  Like I said, I'm cutting it very close.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:25:21 AM EDT
[#43]
How hard is it to show a pic of the dot?  It's like a conspiracy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:48:51 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
How hard is it to show a pic of the dot?  It's like a conspiracy.
View Quote

Idk, how hard is it to google "trijicon mro"?

Took me all of 5 seconds to find this pic by doing just that ^^^

http://www.recoilweb.com/trijicons-mro-sage-dynamics-70769.html
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:59:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Some people are saying it's ugly, I disagree, I think it looks great.  Hope mine shipps soon.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:59:10 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Some people are saying it's ugly, I disagree, I think it looks great.  Hope mine shipps soon.
View Quote

Oh it's ugly alright, doesn't stop me from putting my order in
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#47]
I'll have a Aimpoint T2 here tomorrow to compare the MRO against.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#48]
So it's September 1st, anyone get any kind of confirmation of their MRO actually shipping?  
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:35:46 PM EDT
[#49]
It's odd how all the dot pics I've seen show a "tube" that doesn't seem flared.
I'm sure it'll be noticeable in person, but pics and video don't seem to show it for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It's odd how all the dot pics I've seen show a "tube" that doesn't seem flared.
I'm sure it'll be noticeable in person, but pics and video don't seem to show it for some reason.
http://www.recoilweb.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Trijicon-MRO-Sage-Dynamics-Cowan-1.jpg
View Quote

This is a good shot
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 30
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top