Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/21/2015 5:40:53 PM EDT
I don't have any night vision so that will be the price down.  Should I get a unit that uses AA or CR123?  Also one or two dot reticle?
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I don't have any night vision so that will be the price down.  Should I get a unit that uses AA or CR123?  Also one or two dot reticle?
View Quote

The one/two/three dot option will greatly depend on how far you plan to shoot to make use of those extra dots.  Make that determination first and then decide for yourself.  I prefer the single dot.  Less clutter and ideal for CQB applications.  In my experience the EXPS EOTechs have been good to go.  Personally, I prefer the CR123 models.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the cr123 models because of battery shelf life. I have one xps 2-0 and two exps 2-0 models.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I like the EXPS series.  Side controls, factory QD mount, lower 1/3 co-witness.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like the EXPS series.  Side controls, factory QD mount, lower 1/3 co-witness.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I think AA and CR123 both have their pro's. I'd say my favorites are EXPS 3-0 and 553. (Maybe EXPS 2-0 in your case)

In my opinion the extra dot versions are borderline useless without a magnifier.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#6]
The EXPS2-2 is what I'm looking at. I'm hoping that add a magnifier later to use the lower dot near or at 500 yards. Just want to see if what you guys thought about the two dots.   I believe anything more then two dot would almost make a line in the sight picture.  I have plenty of lights that run on CR123, I also have rechageable AA.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 11:17:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had wonderful use from my 552.

Seems AA batteries are always around when you need them.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:39:39 PM EDT
[#8]
EOTech makes outstanding red dots.  

You need to consider about three factors when choosing which model to purchase

(1). Will you ever have a night vision requirement?
(2). Will a proprietary battery be more difficult for you to replace when you are in the field?  (Which is, can you find something other than  AA battery at the nearest 7-11 to your hunt or range, or will you need someone with the more exotic batteries?
(3). Will you ever be considering a magnification optic for the front of your EOTech?  If so, you may seriously want to consider a model with the controls on e side instead of in front--which may prove hard to access with an optic up there.

Hope this helps a bit!

Dan
EOTech 512 owner
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 11:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Dupe
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:18:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an EXPS-2.

If I did it again,  I'd get the single dot model.....not a big issue, just prefer the single dot. Otherwise it and the G33 behind it have been great.

Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:39:22 AM EDT
[#11]
The correct answer is to skip the Eotech and buy an Aimpoint... I'd also rather have the unproven MRO over the Eotech because the Eotech has proven itself to me, to be complete junk.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 6:58:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The correct answer is to skip the Eotech and buy an Aimpoint... I'd also rather have the unproven MRO over the Eotech because the Eotech has proven itself to me, to be complete junk.
View Quote

Wow. I've had many EOs over the years and I beat them pretty hard with no failures.  Although I was waiting on the aimpoint fan boys to show up. Aside from battery life I believe the EOs are the fastest and easiest to use holo\red dot out there.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:01:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote

I agree the MRO looks great. Trijicon has that track record that is almost without peer, so the MRO will very likely be a huge success.....and great that the T1/H1 now has very legit competition.

As for EOTechs being "junk"? Just not true. My own use of the EXPS line tells me otherwise, but far more importantly is the wide spread use of them by some of the most elite units on the planet. Yup, they can use what they want.....and very, very often they go with EOTechs.

"Junk" doesn't make it in to their equipment lockers.

If I had to choose between my EXPS or my T1's.....I'd lean towards the T1.....but by no means because the EOTech is "junk". That's absurd.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:08:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm gonna go with THIS. I love the Eotech Reticle. The quality is absolute shit. I've sent an EXPS 2-0 in for repairs 3 times now due to the reticle delaminating and getting dim in spots all over the view screen. Eotech replaced it with a new unit, which has also now failed and had to be repaired.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

CR123 (I keep CR123s on hand for my Surefire flashlight anyhow), but re-think the "I don't have NV" thing.  I made that mistake.  Now I have to make the decision to buy a new sight (even though my XPS-2 is perfectly good) or an IR laser.

Buy once, cry once.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I agree the MRO looks great. Trijicon has that track record that is almost without peer, so the MRO will very likely be a huge success.....and great that the T1/H1 now has very legit competition.

As for EOTechs being "junk"? Just not true. My own use of the EXPS line tells me otherwise, but far more importantly is the wide spread use of them by some of the most elite units on the planet. Yup, they can use what they want.....and very, very often they go with EOTechs.

If I had to choose between my EXPS or my T1's.....I'd lean towards the T1.....but by no means because the EOTech is "junk". That's absurd.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 0/2 including the EXPS3-0, I don't care what elite units use it my experience with them sucks and I'm far from alone, including the EXPS/XPS models.  Reticle is fun and I'm not even bashing the optic on battery life, I simply don't trust its durability.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:51:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm gonna go with THIS. I love the Eotech Reticle. The quality is absolute shit. I've sent an EXPS 2-0 in for repairs 3 times now due to the reticle delaminating and getting dim in spots all over the view screen. Eotech replaced it with a new unit, which has also now failed and had to be repaired.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Anyone reading should heed this warning, the reticle is awesome, durability is laughable.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'm 0/2 including the EXPS3-0, I don't care what elite units use it my experience with them sucks and I'm far from alone, including the EXPS/XPS models.  Reticle is fun and I'm not even bashing the optic on battery life, I simply don't trust its durability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Must be luck and good marketing that's got me, many others and a bunch of .mil units running EOTechs without issue.

I think the MRO has the potential to beat out both Eo's and Aimpoint micros however.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:41:20 AM EDT
[#19]
To get back on to OPs question I'm happy with my 512. It takes the easy to find AA battery, has an awesome reticle giving both fast acquisition and precision in the same package and it was made in America. ive not had any issue with battery contacts either like some will tell you is inevitable
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#20]
If you don't need NV capability, IMHO The one Brownells sells is the one to have.  I have a couple.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the 556 model. 123 batts longest life and more flexible mounting than a 553
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:52:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I like the XPS-2. The two dot reticle doesn't bother me, hell, I don't really notice it's there unless I'm using it for its intended purpose.

I also like the side mounted on/off/brightness, especially if you're going to run a magnifier.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:45:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm in the aimpoint camp. I just prefer the aimpoint. Get what works for you.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#24]
No love for the zombie reticle? :)
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#25]
This is a very interesting setup from a former CAG guy. Putting both his EXPS and G33 magnifier on a LaRue QD mount so he can remove them to go to his irons.

https://youtu.be/lOIj4WlWRbY?t=2m42s
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This is a very interesting setup from a former CAG guy. Putting both his EXPS and G33 magnifier on a LaRue QD mount so he can remove them to go to his irons.

https://youtu.be/lOIj4WlWRbY?t=2m42s
View Quote

He sounds like he's actually used one in combat and is confident enough in it based on that experience.

OP, I'd still go for the exps3-0 (NV), because of the ruggedized electronics built into those models.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:15:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I currently have a model 556 EoTech and Primary Arms 3x magnifier (the new gen4). I like it aside from the size.. If you plan to get a magnifier get the smaller xps type. Battery life is the down side to any EoTech and with that in mind I would recommend having a good supply of backup batteries and this is also why I didnt go with the AA battery models, because IIRC they didnt have as long of battery life.

I got my EoTech used on this site and had an issue with the Nitrogen leaking out of the unit. I sent it to EoTech and they fixed it for me for free even though I got it used. I havent had any other issues with it and if I do ill just deal with it when the time comes. Till then I like it a lot. I might not ever use the NV on it but I got a good deal on it which is why I bought it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I've had wonderful use from my 552.

Seems AA batteries are always around when you need them.

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

If OP MUST get and EO Tech, 518, due to AAs being plentiful.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 5:51:59 PM EDT
[#29]
In my humble opinion the 552 with its plethora of AA batteries out there would be the optimal choice.....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top