Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/29/2015 4:54:21 PM EDT
I took my Colt 6940 out to the range finally where I can shoot 100 yards. I did shoot it at 50 yards with the iron sights and did pretty good getting mostly the bull and #9 ring, for the first time. Now I want to get a scope for 100 yards and see what I am shooting at. I narrowed it down to a Leolpold Vx-2 3-9x40 with the mark 1 IMS base.
My head is spinning from looking at all available scopes. I am relatively new to ARs and scopes but very good with my pistols. Am I on the right track?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#1]
84 reads and no one has an opinion?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:04:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I have that scope and love it. And can't go wrong with leupold
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:34:52 AM EDT
[#3]
What are you trying to do with this rifle/scope? What range? What light conditions? What level of accuracy? Potential moving targets (hunting for example) or just static target shooting?

What is your budget? The optics market is extremely competitive, and the quality of the optic is usually on par with the price if properly matched for use.

The VX2 3-9X40 with 1" tube is Leupolds version of what is probably the most common scope in America the last 40 years. Leupold is a great company with a great warrantee. Though I do not own this model, I do own three Leupold scopes, a range finder and spotting scope that are all Leupold. While the VX-2 is one of the lower end models, I'm confident it is adequate or better for 90% of shooters 99% of the time.

The thing I would be concerned about as a hunter or shooter is how well it performs in low light conditions. I would try to have a look at one in the evening before I bought. There are local stores here that have let me do this, walk outside and look around just after sunset.

I've never ended up happy with the performance of the budget 1" tube scopes in low light. Personally, I'd save up and get a VX-R with firedot because I hunt in low light, the firedot helps with getting/staying on a moving target. It is also good for shooting steel targets at 300-500 yards, another thing I like to do.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:50:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you trying to do with this rifle/scope? What range? What light conditions? What level of accuracy? Potential moving targets (hunting for example) or just static target shooting?

What is your budget? The optics market is extremely competitive, and the quality of the optic is usually on par with the price if properly matched for use.

The VX2 3-9X40 with 1" tube is Leupolds version of what is probably the most common scope in America the last 40 years. Leupold is a great company with a great warrantee. Though I do not own this model, I do own three Leupold scopes, a range finder and spotting scope that are all Leupold. While the VX-2 is one of the lower end models, I'm confident it is adequate or better for 90% of shooters 99% of the time.

The thing I would be concerned about as a hunter or shooter is how well it performs in low light conditions. I would try to have a look at one in the evening before I bought. There are local stores here that have let me do this, walk outside and look around just after sunset.

I've never ended up happy with the performance of the budget 1" tube scopes in low light. Personally, I'd save up and get a VX-R with firedot because I hunt in low light, the firedot helps with getting/staying on a moving target. It is also good for shooting steel targets at 300-500 yards, another thing I like to do.
View Quote

This is a very sensible statement.  I have over two dozen scopes mounted and maybe another half dozen on a shelf in the safe.  Many styles, manufacturers, power ranges and price ranges.  Maybe a third or a bit more are Leupold.  They tend to stand out for being lighter than most, extremely durable, well-finished and with good quality glass in their price range.  I have a couple VX-2 scopes, one a 2-7x, the other a 3-9x like you are considering.  Because of lens and coating upgrades, the VX-2 line is as good as the former VXIII scopes.  Low light performance is pretty good, but check this out for yourself.

You really should compare it to the VX-3 line of one inch tube scopes and take a hard look at them and the 30mm illuminated line theVX-R.  I absolutely love my 3-9x40mm VX-R Patrol with Firedot TMR MRAD scope.

Now, after extolling Leupold, I am going to actually recommend something else if you should be on a $300 budget.  The best value in a midrange tactical variable is a limited edition Weaver, exclusive to MidwayUSA.  It is the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10x40.  It is a true MRAD scope with matching turrets and mildot reticle.  It is Japanese  made and has the best glass, optical clarity and low light capability of any $300 class scope I have ever seen.  It is not as good optically as VX3 or VX-R, but I rate the glass better than VX-2 and it has the superbly tracking milrad turrets and mildot reticle.

I bought one mostly out of curiosity because of the raves on this board about it.  Optics is a separate hobby of mine. The board raves were right. It now sits on a long range bolt gun.  If you cannot move up to VX-3 or a VX-R and don't need or want illumination, give the Midway exclusive Weaver strong consideration.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Would I do better tro upgrade to the Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 4:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I have that scope on my Stag and I love it. I am a Leupold fanboy so I don't know if that helps. Without counting I probably have 10-12 Leupolds and love every one of them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Would I do better tro upgrade to the Mark AR Mod 1 3-9x40?
View Quote

If you want the illumination, yes.  I don't think there is anything that can touch it at its price point with illumination and its other features including MRAD and the TMR reticle.  Glass is decent, but not great.

Frankly, the Mark AR's optics are more in line with VX-1 or maybe close to but not quite VX-2 quality.   The Weaver GST blows it away in that respect, but lacks illumination.

The Mark AR has the same turrets and reticle as the Patrol which I have and is a great scope.  It is extremely light, too.  It will not have the low light performance of VX-3 or VX-R, but is good value.  The turrets on my Patrol are accurate and repeatable and are shared by the Mark AR.   I cannot say enough good things about the Firedot.  That is amazing technology.  That dot can be made full noon day sunlight bright or perfect for low light almost dark use and everything in between.  The only thing about the Mark AR version that differs as to the Firedot is that the dot is green and it is red on the VX-R.  That is subjective and has no effect on performance.

I am being balanced here.  As someone who tends to gravitate to Leupold, I have to say, honestly, how impressed I was with the Weaver GST at $300.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#8]
im looking at similar scopes.

the vx2 was just on sale at cabelas. 3-9x40 with CDS for 260ish   i originally wanted the vxr 3-9x40 with cds, but the extra 250 for a tiny red dot is not practical for me. you can buy a top of the line mount for 200...or a aero precision mount and still have money to spare on ammo to sight it in.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for your replies. I am going to look int the Weaver tac Grand Slam, as well as the SPR1 one piece mount.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
im looking at similar scopes.

the vx2 was just on sale at cabelas. 3-9x40 with CDS for 260ish   i originally wanted the vxr 3-9x40 with cds, but the extra 250 for a tiny red dot is not practical for me. you can buy a top of the line mount for 200...or a aero precision mount and still have money to spare on ammo to sight it in.
View Quote

The dot is not everything.  The glass is much, much improved in the VX-R especially in low light.  The tube is 30mm, far more rugged.  The Patrol  version has true MRAD turrets and TMR milrad calibrated reticle permitting accurate shooting with multiple loads, bullet weights and velocities out to at least 600 yards.

If you go without illumination, and stick with a one inch main tube, the Weaver GST is better optically and the MRAD turrets and reticle are far more practical than a single load dependent CDS of the VX-2.  CDS is limited and provides no ability to hold off for wind.  I have as much difficulty, if not more, with wind  hold off as with elevation from 300 yards and out.  

My VX-2 scopes work best as a hunting scope under 300 yards with a simple duplex or my favorite German #4 or 4a reticle, where no hold over is needed.  It is a good under 300 yard hunting scope where low light performance is not a priority.  I just think ranging turrets and matching reticles with hold off capability for wind and come ups and ranging reticle for elevation make more sense for me for 300+ yards.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:40:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Go with the mark AR. Good solid scope. Great CS. And good glass. If you're mil/le it's an outstanding deal.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:23:21 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been to Gander mountain twice now looking at scopes. I am not considering the $199.00 scopes any more. Their prices are pretty much in line with the Internet, unlike their high gun prices. I liked the Leupold Mark AR one for $349 with mil-spec sights very much. That is all I want to spend on the scope plus the mount. I am just using it at the range now which is 100 yards.. Now I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and choose between the Leupold and the Weaver GST, since it comes so highly recommended by many from this forum.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#13]
If the farthest you are shooting is 100yds do you really need that much magnification? I use a burris AR332 3x prismatic, it is small and light with illuminated BDC type reticle. I also have a 4x fixed power weaver. You might be fine with a lower magnification at those limited ranges.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#14]
100 yards for now, I don't want to purchase one with too much magnification, but I do want one that is variable for future use, possibly more extended range and light hunting.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have been to Gander mountain twice now looking at scopes. I am not considering the $199.00 scopes any more. Their prices are pretty much in line with the Internet, unlike their high gun prices. I liked the Leupold Mark AR one for $349 with mil-spec sights very much. That is all I want to spend on the scope plus the mount. I am just using it at the range now which is 100 yards.. Now I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and choose between the Leupold and the Weaver GST, since it comes so highly recommended by many from this forum.
View Quote

You'll do well with either.  If you are going to try to shoot small groups, the 9x or 10x top end will really tighten up the group size.  Same for precision shooting  if you do decide to find a range with longer distance targets.  

You may want to save up later for a QD return to zero mount.  For now, a fixed mount is fine.  You will need a one piece cantilever mount or a rail extension under standard rings because the AR15 upper receiver top is so short and does not have enough rail slots to let you mount a standard  front ring on the rail with the scope moved forward enough for proper eye relief.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 6:49:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I have both the Leupold Mark AR Mod-1 3-9x40 and the Mark AR Mod-1 1.5-4x22, and I love the versatility, the auto-shutoff illumination technology, and the light-weight feature of each of these scopes.  The daylight-visible bright illuminated green dot and the reticle pattern of each scope bring me on target quickly.  The 1.5-4x is on a 9mm rifle intended for CQB to 100 yards.  And the 3-9x is on an AR-15 rifle intended for a range of 50 to 350 yards.  With the DTR Terminal Shock ammo I use, either one could still be used to mortally pierce flesh or hit a steel plate at 400+ yards, which is probably my own limit.  I use American Defense quick-release mounts in case I must resort to using BUIS.  Each of these scopes is a great value for the feature set and high quality of Leupold.  After initially trying a couple of "comparable" scopes by PA and by Vortex, and even exploring scopes by Burris, I found that these Leupold scopes best meet my needs without paying a fortune.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Either of those scopes is more than capable of your current uses/goals you stated in an earlier post. Get what looks best to you and your eyes. If at all possible, compare them side by side... Outside, in less than ideal light conditions.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 2:43:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Well I went above my budget and purchased a Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10X 40 CDS. It was on sale $439.99 at Midway. Now to find a mount. Maybe a
LaRue LT104.
Thank you all for your input.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Well I went above my budget and purchased a Leupold VX-3, 3.5-10X 40 CDS. It was on sale $439.99 at Midway. Now to find a mount. Maybe a
LaRue LT104.
Thank you all for your input.
View Quote

Well done.  Very good glass at its price point, good low light performance. Yes on the LT -104.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Just put in an order for a Bobro quick release mount. Now I'm set.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top