Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/24/2015 1:43:32 AM EDT
I've always had my eye on buying an Elcan but the price is kinda steep and lately I've been seeing a lot of them come up for sale. Why are people getting rid of these scopes and what are they buying instead? I would love to have a 6X Elcan but now I'm kinda thinking I should keep looking around. What are hot new scopes to look at for 2015?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:09:39 AM EDT
[#1]
A number of factors.

Even though Elcans (like ACOGs) have a great following, they aren't for everyone (like ACOGs).

Eye relief is short/problematic, they are heavy and there are better CQB optics (Aimpoints and EOTechs).

Again, a lot of people really like them, but IMO they are a long range optic that can make do at short range.  It depends on how you are going to use it, or rather your rifle:  primarily short range or primarily long range.

I think a lot of people buy them (see the clone threads) and end up not liking them for one or more of the reasons I stated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:34:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Or go with a 1-6x24 traditional illuminated optic.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Kinda made me wish I waited a bit before I bought mines.  I would've saved a few hundred.  I'm totally happy with mines, no complaints here.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:06:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've always had my eye on buying an Elcan but the price is kinda steep and lately I've been seeing a lot of them come up for sale. Why are people getting rid of these scopes and what are they buying instead? I would love to have a 6X Elcan but now I'm kinda thinking I should keep looking around. What are hot new scopes to look at for 2015?
View Quote

My guess, people got excited and busted out the credit card when they shouldn't have and when the green tip ammo scare came through they started looking at there Elcan as a good way to get some ammo," before it's all gone."
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:38:31 AM EDT
[#5]
FPNI.

They have a high amount of CDI, but from an actual performance standpoint arent for everyone.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Tax season maybe
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

If it's the EE you're using for these conclusions, be aware that there appear to be "trends" there just like anywhere else.

About 6 months ago when I was building my M4A1 clone, M4 RAS sets were plentiful and about $80-$100. Lucky me, cuz now they're $120 or so and much less common. I've been noticing a lot of NF 2.5x10s in the Optics section past couple months too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:55:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Just buy one, you wont regret it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This...I love mine....The price was hard to swallow at first, but well worth it once I had it in my hands
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered one after a demo against a acog rco.   It is brighter, has more eye relief, and has a 1x mode.   Out performs the acog in every way, at least to me.  

Sure, it's more money, but the acog ain't cheap and if youre spending that much why not spend 500 more.  

Love the reticle and the euro range finder on the bottom left too.   Fwiw, I see far more acogs for sale.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:19:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Now that the VCOG is out, I think it's tougher to make the case for the ELCAN 1-4x.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:45:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This...I love mine....The price was hard to swallow at first, but well worth it once I had it in my hands
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.  Cheap shit aint good and good shit aint cheap...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fwiw, I see far more acogs for sale.
View Quote

There's probably quite a few more ACOGs in circulation.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I also think a lot of people buy them cause everyone says they are awesome then dump them later when they realize they have a $1700 scope they never use and want something else new.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
I recently picked up one of the fixed 4x versions, which are considerably less expensive.

FWIW, It is actually a pretty damn nice optic. The glass is incredible, the reticle is very clean and useful, and the optic itself is very stout. If it shares any downsides with the 1-4x model, it is probably the ARMS base. It clamped down just fine on three of my four uppers, but was loose on a fourth. I have the adjustable latches arriving tomorrow, which fix the issue (according to what I've read).

The eye relief is longer than TA11. However, the base is larger and ends up limiting your mounting positions if you are running a BUIS. I can run it fine with a BUIS, but it does require NTCH.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 8:03:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Also are very heavy optic.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now that the VCOG is out, I think it's tougher to make the case for the ELCAN 1-4x.
View Quote

I disagree, I used the VCOG at SHOT, and was seriously disappointed with the glass quality.  My Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x has a far picture than the VCOG.  The VCOG is also seriously expensive and usually a bit more money than the Elcan DR
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
VCOG pricing is almost exactly the same as the SpecterDR. I expect the pricing to drop now that the TR25 is coming out.
I've never thought Trijicon had the best glass but it's certainly good. I think the most important difference between the VCOG and ELCAN is the eye relief.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
VCOG pricing is almost exactly the same as the SpecterDR. I expect the pricing to drop now that the TR25 is coming out.
I've never thought Trijicon had the best glass but it's certainly good. I think the most important difference between the VCOG and ELCAN is the eye relief.
View Quote

You are simply mistaken.  The VCOG glass is fully outclassed by the ELCAN is this case.  The original ACOG (lets say ta31 in this case) is MUCH better than the VCOG's glass as well.   Trijicon did something wrong with the VCOG, but at any rate, I was thoroughly unimpressed with my demonstration at SHOT 2014.  I compared it to the TA31 and the TR24 at the same time (which both have great glass, with the TR24 being outstanding/rivaling the ELCAN)

I also wanted to add, anyone interested in an ELCAN for about 350 bucks cheaper than the VCOG, please see Ken and nitevis.com  
He has awesome unprinted prices, just call or email (nice guy too)
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Why so many for sale?  Because people think they're going to become an operator by purchasing on and then realize the eyebox and eye relief sucks.  Elcan's have great glass, great field of view, daylight bright as hell dot, rugged and cool switch to zoom feature.  However as much as is right with them, eye relief and eyebox are fatal flaws.  If they came out with an improved generation a little lighter, off detents between brightness settings, significantly improved eyebox & eye relief and updated zoom lever (they recently showed a prototype with some updates including an improved zoom lever) I'd be in.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I would guess that since a lot of companies are coming out with very nice 1-6 and 1-8 optics (like Trijicon, already mentioned above), a lot of people are using those instead. Vortex, Leupold, SWFA, etc.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 10:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Why so many for sale?  Because people think they're going to become an operator by purchasing on and then realize the eyebox and eye relief sucks.  Elcan's have great glass, great field of view, daylight bright as hell dot, rugged and cool switch to zoom feature.  However as much as is right with them, eye relief and eyebox are fatal flaws.  If they came out with an improved generation a little lighter, off detents between brightness settings, significantly improved eyebox & eye relief and updated zoom lever (they recently showed a prototype with some updates including an improved zoom lever) I'd be in.
View Quote

Eye box and eye relief is very similar to the acog rco.   Which is to say its not the best, however nothing is perfect and is something I can deal with, especially on a rifle I am very consistent with.  The throw lever is great to me.  My biggest wish would actually if they would move the height to a 1/3 cowitness instead of what would be an absolute height. Uso 1 to 6 was a close second choice
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm guessing it's buyer's remorse or something akin to it.

They're heavy and expensive for what they do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

View Quote

Very true.

I owned one and although it was a good optic it was not $1800 good. The mount sucks, external adjustments suck, and eye relief is marginal. It was unacceptable for me given the price tag.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Very true.

I owned one and although it was a good optic it was not $1800 good. The mount sucks, external adjustments suck, and eye relief is marginal. It was unacceptable for me given the price tag.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very true.

My biggest complaint was the throw lever adjustment.  It got gritty, then it got loose.

I do like the adjustment base though, it's easy to retrofit to other uses.  We had a couple left over, put 'em on rangefinder lasers for use on tripods.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 11:25:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I love my DR scopes. Even with a cats tail on the zoom ring the flip switch on the DR is much faster and much more logical. I never used an intermediate positions on my zooms. I wish there were more options like a 3x to 12x flip scope. The base is very sturdy and holds zero. The fact that only one hole actually goes through from the outside to the inside the flip for the internal magnification makes water proofing more reliable. The more DRs out there for sale the cheaper the price becomes so I wouldn't mind to see even more for sale.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#27]
I paid $500 for my 1-4 ELCAN, it is certainly not the best optic I have, or have used. However, it does work great for what it is. Bringing it out to shoot with family is nice because it's extremely quick and easy to switch from 1-4X. Which works well when teach less experienced shooters. The lenses are large which has been said before I and I like. The reticle and illumination is a plus as well. Like others have said the eye relift can suck a huge one and it isn't light at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I paid $500 for my 1-4 ELCAN, it is certainly not the best optic I have, or have used. However, it does work great for what it is. Bringing it out to shoot with family is nice because it's extremely quick and easy to switch from 1-4X. Which works well when teach less experienced shooters. The lenses are large which has been said before I and I like. The reticle and illumination is a plus as well. Like others have said the eye relift can suck a huge one and it isn't light at all.
View Quote

$500?!    How the hell did you find that deal?  
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top