Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2015 5:40:39 AM EDT
I'm sure the marines still use them, but it seems all the latest pictures of special forces kits run anything but acogs now. Have they been getting replaced the past few years?

It's funny because looking at rifles at the beginning of Iraq/Afghanistan, almost everything on them is considered outdated by today's ar15 standards.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:33:45 AM EDT
[#1]
SOCOM is using Elcans the ACOG remains elsewhere.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Most Infantrymen use an ACOG.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Big Army and "big" USMC uses ACOG's.

SOCOM uses mainly Elcan, EOTech EXPS-3, EOTech 553
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:24:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like they find the Elcan superior but too expensive for everyone. Are they using the 4x or 6x version of the Elcan? I may consider selling my acog to fund one now...
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Sounds like they find the Elcan superior but too expensive for everyone. Are they using the 4x or 6x version of the Elcan? I may consider selling my acog to fund one now...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen them in use on their .308 SCAR's (6x version), don't recall ever seeing one on an AR (only seen the 4x version on an AR).  I'm sure it's been done before though.

Still plenty of ACOGs to go around outside of SOF circles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Most Infantrymen use an ACOG.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It's not so much ELCANs cost too much for general issue its that the Dr came on the scene after the procurment of RCOs was well underway

SOCOM because of the relative small numbers is not effected by the make sure you acquire right, because once you do it is hard to justify replacing it

The replacement for the RCO is envisioned to be a blended spectrum scope that incorporates both a laser that ranges, reads the wind and helps determine far point location and a ballistic computer similar to the ones on tanks
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It's not so much ELCANs cost too much for general issue its that the Dr came on the scene after the procurment of RCOs was well underway

SOCOM because of the relative small numbers is not effected by the make sure you acquire right, because once you do it is hard to justify replacing it

The replacement for the RCO is envisioned to be a blended spectrum scope that incorporates both a laser that ranges, reads the wind and helps determine far point location and a ballistic computer similar to the ones on tanks
View Quote

That's a tall ass order.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a tall ass order.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a tall ass order.

Probably still a few years out but really the hardest part is going to be battery life because about everything else is already implement in other military systems already
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Man, that eye relief on 1x kinda sucks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:05:09 PM EDT
[#11]
ACOG is heavily used in the military today though I think Trijicon understands the need to have a quicker transition from 4x to 1x which they offer in their VCOG but it isn't really picking up as well as it should. The SpecterDR is used by special forces but the SpecterOS4x is generally used by militaries the world over. From what I understand, the British are in fact phasing out their optic and choosing the Elcan SpecterOS4x. The ACOG 4x has a very narrow eye relief and as such can't be used on a lot of firearms out there. The SpecterDR/OS4x are in fact easier to mount on a variety of firearms out there since it has a bit longer of an eye relief.

The reason again is for that quick 1x/4x transition which for a lot of folks out there is a very important task. The ACOG is great but up close it's sort of lacking. They tried to resolve it with their BAC concept but that isn't for everyone.They even tried the piggy back RMR thing but that too ultimately isn't for every application out there.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 10:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Probably still a few years out but really the hardest part is going to be battery life because about everything else is already implement in other military systems already
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a tall ass order.

Heck, didn't Aimpoint come out with something like that at this year's SHOT Show, intended for the Carl Gustav and similar weapons? Could have sworn I saw a mention...

Anyway, if   that's true, then it's just a matter of being able to make it compact enough for use as an individual weapon sight, rather than a heavy/crew-served weapon sight.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]
The Marine Corps is not planning on transitioning away from the RCO anytime soon
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:11:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Before I switched to a low powered variable, I ran an "outdated" TAO1 acog, with the original crosshairs by choice, while overseas. I consider it still to be an excellent optic. Never had eye relief issues when running it either. Lots of practice helps with weapon presentation though.

I could be totally content running a 4x acog on a working carbine.

The low power variables offer flexibility that fixed x or rdo optics do not though, and that's why I transitioned.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top