Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/19/2015 10:05:52 AM EDT
New to the AR15 world & could use some veteran advice.

I have a Nikon M-223 2.5-10x40 scope mounted on an Adcore B.E.A.R Elite 16".  I'd like to add a 1x red dot optic on top for quick short range target acquisition, so that I can leave the Nikon scope zoomed in.  I have narrowed it down to two possible red dot optics, but can't figure out how to mount either of them & would also like to know from those in the know, which direction you would go.

1x Red Dot Scope Options
Aimpoint Micro T-2
Eotech 558

Pro's / Con's, alternative considerations?

Mounting Dilemma
The Nikon scope is consistently thick throughout unlike most scopes I have seen.  According to the specs in the manual, the eyepiece outside diameter is 43mm / 1.69in.  I have been unable to find any scope rings or mounts in this size, that would allow the Aimpoint Micro T-2 or Eotech 668 to sit on top.  Any assistance, thoughts, or guidance on how best to set this up would be greatly appreciated.

Nikon M-223 Scope Manual

Best-
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#1]
How about a 45degree mount vs. mounting it on the optic?

Like this:

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
That would be your best option. The EOTech shouldn't really be considered for what you want - it's almost 6'' long and adds over 13oz to the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd also suggest an offset mount but I'd recommend throwing something a little lighter and lower profile on it like a reflex sight.

Also have you considered getting a different scope or are you dead set on the keeping the Nikon?

(ignore the fact it's not on an AR, but notice the height difference, even if both guns were held level)

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the suggestions.  45 degree angle mount looks like it's the way to go on this.  It seems like it might be somewhat awkward holding & shooting the rifle at a 45 degree angle for any length of time.  Is it?  Are there rotating stocks &/or grips that you would use with such a setup?

Also, is the Aimpoint Micro T-2 or H-1 the way to go for this or would you recommend using a smaller reflex sight?  I had mentioned in a previous post, the Eotech 558, but it sounds like this may be larger & heavier than other alternatives.

I like the Nikon M-223 2.5-10x40 & have had pretty good results with it. Not to mention being into it for approximately $800.  If it makes since to replace altogether I will, but would prefer to keep it if I can find an alternative short range, quick acquisition solution.

Thank you for the thoughts & suggestions.  It is much appreciated.

Best-
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I personally would be concerned about the weight of a red dot in addition to the Nikon glass.

Instead of the Aimpoint, a Burriss Fast Fire II might be the way to to.

Like this: (not my rifle or pic)

Holding and shooting at 45* is easy to get used to. I guess it depends on how much you think you'll be using it.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top