AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2015 10:09:22 PM EDT
Ok first off,
What I will be doing
Hunting coyote from 50-400 yards.
Using AR-15 with 18" DD barrel(5.56)
budget range 350$
Looking for a scope.  Need something with a forgiving eye box.  Lighted reticle would be nice but would rather spend the money on better glass than the lighted reticle.  Like the horse shoe kind with chevron but most of those are outta my price range.   Looked alot at Vortex, Leupold and Burris as I like their warranty.  Have found a Viper HS 2.5x10x44 for 350$.  Was looking at the 2x7 and 2x8 power scopes to save money though.    Was thinking of adding a red dot at 45 degrees to help in the real close up stuff as that does happen here in the south.  Hunting fields as well so longer shots are very possible.  Any way I've hit an information overload and will take any suggestions you may have. Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Super Sniper has decent glass on the cheap.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you will be close to satisfied if you stash away another hundred for a better scope.  I really appreciate illumination in low light and dark backgrounds.  With an illuminated reticle you can leave the front lense cap closed and shoot close targets effectively with both eyes open.  I would be leaning strongly towards a Leupold Mark AR 3x9  #115370.   You're not going to find anything as durable with the features for similar money.

Edit:  It also has motion activation, so it's on when you need it and the battery lasts for years, not sure why Leupold doesn't promote it on the website as it is an excellent feature.  Easier to track with a firedot as well.  Don't have to buy one, would be a mistake not to look through one outdoors.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#3]
there's a outdoor's section. I'd also ask in there. For me, I'd want more than 10x for coyote hunting out to 400. I'd go 3.5-15 minimum. an offset  red dot is a great option, I put a Primary Arms micro on a DD off-set mount and it worked great and it ran me just around 100.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:52:10 AM EDT
[#4]
SWFA fixed 10x for $299 iirc.  Nice reticles and very well regarded scopes for the price.  I have a couple of their pricier options and those are excellent.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#6]
400 yards would be my max and shots at that distance would be few and far between. You think the Weaver Grand Slam is better than the Vortex Hs? I see the Weaver has Japan glass. Was just liking Vortex's warranty. Not real familiar with these mid range in price scopes as I've always used the low end sad to say. And thank you for all the input so far.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes I do think it is a better quality scope. The Philippine made scopes aren't bad but they just aren't as good as the Japan made scopes.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Would this be on par with the Grand Slam series?  http://www.midwayusa.com/product/647884/bushnell-elite-rifle-scope-3-10x-40mm-multi-x-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding   As I would rather not have exposed turrets.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#9]
It would, yes. The Elite scopes are very nice.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't want exposed turrets get a VXR, better glass and better low light performance glass for an extra $30.

VXR

If you hunt you will appreciate the performance of a better scope.  Are you hunting for sport, pelts or population management?

TTC

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Population management and sport.  479 is a bit more than 300. I do like the lighted reticle and realize the glass would be appreciated but dont think my budget would let me spend that much.  With out making payments.  Which maybe the best thing but I got three little one that suck up most of the extra money.lol

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#12]
If your willing to look at the lower power scopes and have your head explode on some more  options, Vortex is releasing their StrikeEagle 1-6 at Shot Show this week.  The MSRP is 429, but the street price could very well be within your budget. Plus you don't have to buy a red dot to offset.  I have a 1-4 PST, it has a good eye box, and has filled my needs for a over a year now.  I recently grabbed the SWFA 1-4 SS for the black Friday deal and it seems solid and comparable to the vortex glass if not a little better (at least the eyebox).

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-strike-eagle-1-6x24-riflescope-ar-bdc-reticle
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw that while researching today. I understand the exit pupil and glass quality mostly dictate the the light gathering you see.  How well do those scopes with such a smaller "bell" or basically straight tube gather any light? Or does it just go back to basically exit pupil? As in the Vortex Strike Eagle (24 divided by 6) and 4 mm exit pupil being the same as others with the same exit pupil, given glass is the same?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:19:55 PM EDT
[#14]

TTC
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 8:26:20 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a good deal right now. I really like the glass in my Viper 6.5-20, so I put one of these on order when it went on closeout.  It's roughly $200 off its usual price.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
When did Blackhawk start making/reselling optics? I hope it works well for you.

Link Posted: 1/19/2015 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#18]
To The Cloud I miss understood one of your previous posts about spending the extra 30 on a VXR vs a Mod 1 AR. I reread it and gotcha now. Prolly gonna have to go with something along the Bushnell Elite lines for the money. Just wish they had a true illuminated reticle like the VXR...  Like Leupold for US made...just price is steep. Is the VXR that much better than the Bushnell Elite?
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:14:51 PM EDT
[#19]
No.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They are re-branded Weavers, and that's a hell of a deal.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:52:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Ok, I've heard good things about the Weavers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#22]
From what I understand, ATK branded these Weavers as Blackhawk for Cabelas a few years ago. I don't know if there are any differences between the two but it got good reviews that I could find. I just hope that if there are any warranty issues I will have some coverage.

I believe this is the Weaver version:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/853032/weaver-tactical-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-3-15x-50mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-side-focus-mil-dot-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:44:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is a good deal right now. I really like the glass in my Viper 6.5-20, so I put one of these on order when it went on closeout.  It's roughly $200 off its usual price.http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Viper-HS-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P78643.aspx

View Quote

I've had this scope on my 6.5G for a few years and it's great.  Best bang for the buck on optics I have ever had.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
To The Cloud I miss understood one of your previous posts about spending the extra 30 on a VXR vs a Mod 1 AR. I reread it and gotcha now. Prolly gonna have to go with something along the Bushnell Elite lines for the money. Just wish they had a true illuminated reticle like the VXR...  Like Leupold for US made...just price is steep. Is the VXR that much better than the Bushnell Elite?
View Quote

If you try to attribute the cost differential to just one aspect then probably not.  For the total package it is:  build, glass, coatings, service, firedot, power management, motion control.  It doesn't come with a free 'Custom Dial' but one is available through Leupolds 'Custom Shop' for a reasonable price.   I would try to make the stretch for HUNTING Coyotes.  The firedot helps with tracking and faster aim, more so against dark backgrounds and targets, the poorer the light the more it helps.

Selling pelts isn't an easy way to make extra money but it's money and might smooth things over with 'mommy'.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 10:25:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Very true TTC. Had the chance to look through a pretty good selection of scopes yesterday. Vxr, Burris's e1, Bushnell and Vortex viperHs. The viper had the most forgiving eyebox by far. Liked the smaller size and weight of the Vxr. And the reticle of the E1. The vortex was much bigger than I thought but I have to give some where. So if I can find the vortex for the right price with a lighted reticle I may go that route. Looked through a diamond back as well but eye box was not even close to how forgiving the viper hs was.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top