Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 8:47:51 PM EDT
so i have searched and kicked this around for a while.

im new to red dot sights but not new to optics
i have always shot with magnification

im trying to understand the use of a red dot and why it is such a vital player when its accuracy depends upon eye placement unless im completely wrong which im hoping

so here goes
i bought a vortex sparc 2 and bolted in the rifle i also bought a primary arms 3x magnifier with mount for 1/3rd co witness

so im in my garage and i put the rifle in a mag block in the vise
i lined it up with a target 50 foot away as if i was shooting it on the opposite wall of my garage
i stepped away and stood behind the rifle and as i move my head back and forth the dot moves around on the target

i understand why it moves around and i understand why i opted for this over something with magnification as i wanted something to acquire a target faster
but then i read this on aimpoints site and now im confused

"2. Point of aim is point of impact
Aimpoint sights are parallax free, which means that the visible dot remains parallel to the bore of your firearm no matter what position your eye is in relative to the sight.  This means that you never have to worry about centering the dot inside the sight. When the dot is on target, so are you."

can someone please school me on this
i just dont get it

thanks in advance
devin
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
first I dont think the vortex is parallax free until after 25 yds and second the 3x magnifier probably has something to do with it .
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:56:17 PM EDT
[#2]
i didnt have the magnifier on the rifle while doing this test

so what your saying is that after 25 yards with the rifle completely stationary and the target stationary it will always stay put on the bullseye no matter where i put my eye?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Im pretty sure thats what the instruction manual said when I had the strike/fire

edit . their web sight says parallax free so disreguard my post
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i didnt have the magnifier on the rifle while doing this test

so what your saying is that after 25 yards with the rifle completely stationary and the target stationary it will always stay put on the bullseye no matter where i put my eye?
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
No red dots are truly parallax free. At shorter distances you will see parallax shift.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
ok so i just read that other thread and from what i am gathering the aimpoint and the eotech still have this issue but it is substantially less than what i am dealing with.
i bought this sparc 2 based off of alot of reviews on here, now im kinda regretting it.

so now the question is besides battery life why buy an aimpoint over an eotech?
seems like the eotech has alot larger viewing area, quicker target acquisition and a little more low profile

so im gonna box this sparc back up i guess and run on over to psa down the street and get something else

suggestions appreciated
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:38:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ok so i just read that other thread and from what i am gathering the aimpoint and the eotech still have this issue but it is substantially less than what i am dealing with.
i bought this sparc 2 based off of alot of reviews on here, now im kinda regretting it.

so now the question is besides battery life why buy an aimpoint over an eotech?
seems like the eotech has alot larger viewing area, quicker target acquisition and a little more low profile

so im gonna box this sparc back up i guess and run on over to psa down the street and get something else

suggestions appreciated
View Quote

Your test Is pretty irrelevant . These optics are for you to get multiple shots off quickly without having to have a solid cheek weld for every shot, not for you to hold the rifle out as far as you can with one hand. Just take it out and shoot it. Here's a tip try shooting with both eyes open I think you'll like it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
i have always s hot with both eyes open with magnification
i just assumed i would do the same with a red dot

like i stated before i understand the point that they are made for getting off multiple shots quickly.  
but i have no intentions of using something that will bother me if i know there is a solution

this is the first close range rifle i have built
it consists of
seekins billet upper and lower
seekins 15 inch rail
ssa trigger
rainier match 223 wylde 16 barrel and match nib bolt
fortis gas block
midlength
vltor tube
mft minimalist stock
and all the other little gadgets and parts

i really wanted to build the ultimate little home defense plinking rifle
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Anything closer than 25 yards parallax is mute (unless you're shooting ground squirrels).
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 6:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That's the whole point of the red-dot; all you have to do is put the dot on the target - it doesn't matter where the dot appears to you in the lens and the dot doesn't have to be lined up with anything on the gun. That's what makes them faster than irons for CQB. Take the thing to the range and shoot it to prove it to yourself. 'Co-witness' has no tactical meaning. All it means is that if you sight on a target with the BUIS (sighted in at the same range you sighted in the red-dot) then actually turn on the red-dot, the dot should be sitting right on top of your front sight post, which is a neat effect with no meaning whatever. You don't use the BUIS and the red-dot at the same time. The purpose of the BUIS is so you can continue to fight if the red-dot fails. As long as the lens is not damaged, you continue to sight through it. If the lens is damaged, that's where the quick-release mount comes in handy; drop the red-dot and keep shooting.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Take it to the range and shoot with the objective (front side) lens covered with a lens cap or tape if you don't have caps. The premise of red dot use will become immediately apparent.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top