Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2015 8:28:20 PM EDT
Anybody have any experienced opinions with these options.  I have been wanting to build a shorty with a red dot for a fun gun and ran across this unit with a laser.  Not sure why they would bother to offer both options, waterproof vs not.  What do you think, poorer laser performance with waterproof model due to an additional lense??

No Waterproof Laser

VS

Waterproof Laser

Both

Amazon better pics

TTC
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 3:25:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I too am curious, as I just ordered the non-waterproof version.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
I decided to go another route.  If anybody gets back to me, doubt it, i'll post findings.  I suspect the one you ordered performs a little better and probably runs a little cooler but its pure speculation.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 2:49:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like lasers and optics together.   If you want to run a laser, it would make more sense to have in in combo with a tactical light, rather than an optic, and run it with a momentary tape pressure  switch, either separately or with the light.  You really don't need to be fiddling up top with your optic under conditions in which a laser might be useful, IMHO.   With respect, that seems to be  mall ninja stuff.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 3:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
....................With respect, that seems to be  mall ninja stuff.
View Quote

Oh, it definitely is in this case, hence the term 'fun gun'.  I don't need an SBR either.  I have all kinds of stuff with little practical value:  cars I never drive, a tractor, guns I never shoot, antiques, children.

Lasers do have practical applications but not so much for civilian applications.  They are practical in low light and when a standard mount isn't available.  A laser/fixed power scope seems perfectly suited to me.  I would agree that a laser and Red dot are for entertainment.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:26:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks similar to a P/A unit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 6:58:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Looks similar to a P/A unit.
View Quote

The PA unit and the Holsun unit come from the same manufacturer
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:17:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Oh, it definitely is in this case, hence the term 'fun gun'.  I don't need an SBR either.  I have all kinds of stuff with little practical value:  cars I never drive, a tractor, guns I never shoot, antiques, children.

Lasers do have practical applications but not so much for civilian applications.  They are practical in low light and when a standard mount isn't available.  A laser/fixed power scope seems perfectly suited to me.  I would agree that a laser and Red dot are for entertainment.

TTC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TTC

A pinpoint laser has a legitimate purpose in the right context.  I see no real scenario where paring it with a red dot makes any sense, though.  The laser IS your aiming device in that setting.  

I have an EOTech/Insight WL1-AA weapon light.  It is tape switch operated.  It is set up for momentary function.  It can be run laser only, light only, or both, with or without strobe.  It ain't cheap and it's no range toy.   It resides on a 12 gauge tactical shotgun for serious home defense.   It enables me to illuminate a target for identification and to position the shot with the red laser beam at the same time.   Distances are short.  Adding a red dot would be like tits on a boar hog.  Superfluous and would actually get in the way of the mission.   If running a red dot, adding a laser would be equally useless.  What use would the laser be?  How would you activate and deactivate the laser on that red dot?

Just remember that if you "paint" a target with the laser, you have painted it with your barrel.

Have fun with the combo.  It is probably enjoyable, but not practical.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#8]
""Have fun with the combo.  It is probably enjoyable, but not practical.""

Thanks, I think this comment hit it on the head for me.  My firearms are purely for the sake of enjoyment.
I have zero plans of needing a rifle for self defense (but nothing against anyone using them for that purpose) just enjoyable plinking.
Nearest mall is well over 100 miles from me, and I am way to old to be a ninja, although I have been known to let out a wicked scream when I move too fast.
Probably the closest thing to practical I have considered the laser for is trapline dispatching in low light, and even that is a stretch.
Just building a cheap AR pistol to leave at the hunting/trapping shack.
Thanks again,
Jim
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A pinpoint laser has a legitimate purpose in the right context.  I see no real scenario where paring it with a red dot makes any sense, though.  The laser IS your aiming device in that setting.  

I have an EOTech/Insight WL1-AA weapon light.  It is tape switch operated.  It is set up for momentary function.  It can be run laser only, light only, or both, with or without strobe.  It ain't cheap and it's no range toy.   It resides on a 12 gauge tactical shotgun for serious home defense.   It enables me to illuminate a target for identification and to position the shot with the red laser beam at the same time.   Distances are short.  Adding a red dot would be like tits on a boar hog.  Superfluous and would actually get in the way of the mission.   If running a red dot, adding a laser would be equally useless.  What use would the laser be?  How would you activate and deactivate the laser on that red dot?

Just remember that if you "paint" a target with the laser, you have painted it with your barrel.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TTC

Who said anything about home defense, what mission are you talking about, is there some reason a flashlight can't be mounted on an AR?  Do you realize that some of our lives don't revolve around perfect theoretical preparation for a scenario that is never going to happen?  If I end up getting killed by a sneak attack in this 'imagical' (made up word) scenario because it takes me an extra 0.2 secs to turn on laser that is then on all the time, I can accept that.

In the meantime, I'll be enjoying the better low light performance of a laser and better full light performance of a red dot on a better all around and more practical platform than a shotgun with my 'fun gun'.

TTC
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Which laser did you get, red or green?

Maybe you can give us your impressions of the laser performance at full and low light and at various ranges?

TTC
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered the red.
It should be here tomorrow, and is going on a build I hope to finish next week, so I will surely put my impressions in here.
Jim
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:06:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I was able to get to the range with it today.
Very happy with the red dot, it was a full sun day on snow covered ground, so about as bright as it can get, and the dot was very easy to see.
The laser is not visible in that light, which is fine, I did not intend it for bright daylight use.
In order to get the laser to jive with the dot, I had to back both adjustment screws out, and then turn each one in a bit at a time.
from the box the laser's windage  was very close but elevation was off a good bit.  Not sure how to explain this, but if I just tried backing out the elevation adjustment, the laser would not move far enough.
I was bummed and thought it was a defect, but once I backed the windage screw out a bit, it allowed the elevation to be adjusted, then just brought the windage back in line.
Very happy with the purchase, but I did find that if you buy from primary arms via ebay, it is not the same people that you deal with for online sales.
Jim

Quoted:

Maybe you can give us your impressions of the laser performance at full and low light and at various ranges?

TTC
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TTC

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top