Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2014 11:38:37 PM EDT
Would a red dot like this provide me with a clear sight picture.  https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Red_Dot_Reflex_Sight_with_Push_Button_p/parrs02leapers.htm.  I get the starburst effect with tube type red dots.  My astigmatism is starting to bug me when I try for accuracy.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Would a red dot like this provide me with a clear sight picture.  https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Red_Dot_Reflex_Sight_with_Push_Button_p/parrs02leapers.htm.  I get the starburst effect with tube type red dots.  My astigmatism is starting to bug me when I try for accuracy.
View Quote

It will make little if any difference, they use the same basic technique to project that dot.

You will want to try prism type scopes, with etched, illuminated reticles, which don't have the same bloom effect for folks with astigmatism (myself included, I use a TA-44)
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:22:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  Even if I stretched my budget,  that's way more than I can afford.  I figure my upper limit will probably be around $200.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
do you have iron sights on the gun ?   if so pop the rear sight up and look through it at the dot , it will be nice and crisp and cost nothing

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#4]
A bigger dot and a lower brightness setting helps
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
do you have iron sights on the gun ?   if so pop the rear sight up and look through it at the dot , it will be nice and crisp and cost nothing

View Quote

This right here!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 11:42:49 AM EDT
[#6]
For me a smaller dot placed closer to my eye works better......a cross hair reticle works the best during daylight.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You need a better eye doctor,a smaller dot,put the 2moa or less dot as far back on the weapon and as close to your eye as possible....some have had reduced the blooming effect by sighting through a small aperture rear sight

I have a severe astigmatism and after my eye doc figured out the correction I see a square dot on my Leupold VXR scope with glasses no blooming....pretty neat.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 12:32:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd suggest the primary arms compact 2.5x optic. You should get a much more clear sight picture with the ability to focus it to eyesight and IMO it's one of the best alternatives to a rds in your situation for quick combat type shooting and can get you some extra range due to the slight magnification and very intuitive reticle. It's also right around your budget with mount included and built like a tank.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 12:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  It actually works!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top