Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2014 1:57:24 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

I recently built a noveske 11.5 inch. Currently have an eotech on it.
I am also getting a tavor soon that I will either put this scope on or the eotech and get a magnifier. Don't know yet

Anyway here is what I'm thinking(order of priority):
-Glass: super clear.
-First focal plane
-Illuminated reticle
-reticle is sensible. I can make educated distance shots. etc.
-Price: max is $600. $400 is my goal, can look for it used.
-Magnification: 1-4x. 1.25 is manageable.
-length is short. 11 inches is my max i think.
-30mm or less

Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Vortex viper PST meets all your requirements except it is second focal plane
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Bushnell 1-4x PCL with BTR reticle is the only FFP scope that comes to mind. Illumination is okay but will washout on brightest days.  Glass is good but if you want super clear, you gotta pay for it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 2:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
SWFA SS 1-4 is what you want, but cost more then your budget.

Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Vortex viper PST meets all your requirements except it is second focal plane
View Quote

This. I picked up one used but in perfect condition for $300. Great scope.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think there are any sub $600 FFP low power variables.

I like my FFP 1-x optics, but the general concensus is you probably dont need FFP in a 1-4x power scope, since most distance shooting will be done at max power (4x)

Check out the new SWFA 1-4x (classic, non-HD) at the intro price of $300.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#6]
PST. I have two.  Like them that much
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Leopold 1.25-4 vxr patrol and Burris xtr package deal from SWFA
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#8]
If it's for 5.56 I'd go with something with LIMITED BDC hashes out to 400-500 yards.As a round, even with mk262, with 5.56 you're looking at a max effective range of 500 yards if that.  All these scopes with BDCs to 1000 yds  or drop marks out to 30 MOA are ridiculous.  Even if you could hit at 500+ yards you'd have to hit the heart or brain because you're essentially shooting 22lr by that point, as the velocity has dropped off.  Anyone who thinks they're going to kill game, hogs, or a person with 5.56 outside of 500 yards is either a USMC-certified sniper who can score a headshot at that range, or a fool.

I'd recommend the MTAC 1-4.  Nice bdc out to 500 yards, clear glass, pretty close to true 1x. The Trijicon TR24 is also pretty awesome for up to 300'yard shots.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:45:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:20:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leopold 1.25-4 vxr patrol and Burris xtr package deal from SWFA
View Quote

This, for OP's specs, especially length and glass quality, accurate, repeatable milrad turrets and SPR Firedot illuminated, motion activated milrad reticle.  It is also one of the lightest 30mm tube scopes.  it is second focal plane, but who is going to use intermediate magnification?  It will either be down at 1.25 and not used for ranging, relying on the dot and circle, or it will be at 4x using the milrad turrets and milrad marks on the reticle.  And the SPR circle dot is much easier to see at 1.25 x than most FFP reticles when turned down to lowest power.

The Firedot reticle is aptly named.  It can be made intensely bright for noon day shooting in full sun or snow with no bloom, or barely visible for night use.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top