User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 6
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 1:02:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If the P.A micro is as rugged as the Holosun ( since they are made by the same people, I dont see why it wouldnt be) it will be a tuff little optic. I have one mounted on a 762x39 pistol and it has been bumped around plenty as it sits on a trunk gun. Being that it is turned on by movement there is a good chance that it has remained on at least 16 hours a day for the past 4 months... so far so good
View Quote

The pa micro is turned on by movemonet, or the holosun is?
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I like what I see, but I'm going to wait for black friday.  Just picked up an adm mount for my PRO, a bunch of ar and pistol mags, and a set of buis.  So I gotta hold off for a bit or the wife will have my head.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If the P.A micro is as rugged as the Holosun ( since they are made by the same people, I dont see why it wouldnt be) it will be a tuff little optic. I have one mounted on a 762x39 pistol and it has been bumped around plenty as it sits on a trunk gun. Being that it is turned on by movement there is a good chance that it has remained on at least 16 hours a day for the past 4 months... so far so good

Holosun. PA does not have auto on or off.

Quoted:
I like what I see, but I'm going to wait for black friday.  Just picked up an adm mount for my PRO, a bunch of ar and pistol mags, and a set of buis.  So I gotta hold off for a bit or the wife will have my head.

She won't notice

I believe Marshall said they don't really do sales on their optics unless it's a model they need to clear out because they sell them for very little profit as is.

Also - I swapped mine over to an American Defense AD T1-10

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm contemplating this or the Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS... The battery life on this thing is damn impressive.  Are they built to last though?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm contemplating this or the Meprolight Tru-Dot RDS... The battery life on this thing is damn impressive.  Are they built to last though?
View Quote

I have both and you really can't go wrong with either. The decision comes down to if you want to shoot out of a holo or a tube and if weight/bulk matter on your build..

Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:01:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Look at the testing and torture test videos on the product page. See link below

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_Advanced_Micro_Dot_with_Push_Buttons_p/md-ads.htm

Yeah it looks like I'll be going with the PA.  I can't find one negative thing about it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 10:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
How does the MD-MD-FBGII stack up compared to the ones mentioned already?  It's only $90 w/riser, does anyone have experience with it? I like the size/look of it, like the small 2moa dot, it comes with a riser for 1/3 cowitness, I like the price.  Feedback?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's one that has had the crap knocked out of it. The dot is still on and from their Facebook page it still holds zero.

Link to teaser video of full torture testing
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:32:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Here's one that has had the crap knocked out of it. The dot is still on and from their Facebook page it still holds zero.
http://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/mosesjg/1534990_873323599366587_3618015365313167033_o_zps47dfc29f.jpg
Link to teaser video of full torture testing
View Quote

dear lord
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How does the MD-MD-FBGII stack up compared to the ones mentioned already?  It's only $90 w/riser, does anyone have experience with it? I like the size/look of it, like the small 2moa dot, it comes with a riser for 1/3 cowitness, I like the price.  Feedback?
View Quote

Not in the same league, IMO. It's still a nice optic for the money, but the ADS has the better battery life, better (more clear) glass, a lower profile emitter, and seems to be constructed better.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 11:18:33 AM EDT
[#12]
How do they do with magnifiers of various power?  My micro-t turns into a blurry apostrophe for me and my vision is perfect.  I've got six of theiir other micro dots and have yet to be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I just went through an intro tactical shotgun course with the MD-ADS mounted on a Mesa Tactical combined side saddle and top rail. I went through #9 birdshot, 00 buckshot, and slugs. 100 rounds in total; not a lot, but enough to test if it holds zero. Not a single hiccup. My ARs sport the trusted Aimpoint Micros. My AKs and shotguns will sport the MD-ADS...I'm confident it'll handle the increased recoil just fine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Anyone use this optic with an offset mount?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dimitri from Primary Arms does. Here's a picture he posted about testing he 5x ACSS scope.

Quoted:
How do they do with magnifiers of various power?  My micro-t turns into a blurry apostrophe for me and my vision is perfect.  I've got six of theiir other micro dots and have yet to be disappointed.

Should be just fine - I used a 3x behind my older MD06s and they were spot on. For the record - your vision can test perfect and you can still have an astigmatism. Trust me
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Looks good. Thank you.

Something like this has a much lower barrier for entry than a T-1 or T-2. I particularly like the fact that it'll bolt right up to an LT-724.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Here's the full video from the link I posted last night. I think this is as close to a full blow up test as we'll see. I want to try one I'm just scared it'll be hard to get used to after using Eotech's for so long.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#18]
holy crap, that says it all now doesn't it.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 3:30:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
holy crap, that says it all now doesn't it.
View Quote

Well, That is impressive. What does an Aimpoint do  that these don't? Seriously? If this optic can survive that, how much more abuse can an aimpoint survive? Re-entry from outerspace? Getting run over by a herd of angry buffalo?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Here's the full video from the link I posted last night. I think this is as close to a full blow up test as we'll see. I want to try one I'm just scared it'll be hard to get used to after using Eotech's for so long.
http://youtu.be/ox0hgWlYWOg
View Quote

Now that was a fun watch!
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd love to see a video similar to what Daniel Defense did with their Aimpoint and see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'd love to see a video similar to what Daniel Defense did with their Aimpoint and see how it holds up.
View Quote

The only thing the Union guys haven't done that DD did was the birdshot test (which another Youtuber did) and the helicopter drop (which the T1 lost zero on anyways).
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The only thing the Union guys haven't done that DD did was the birdshot test (which another Youtuber did) and the helicopter drop (which the T1 lost zero on anyways).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is very true. I'm quite happy with my purchase
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:27:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I certainly would be . Is the dot pretty easy to pick up? I wanna try one bad but nervous I'll hate it after being so used to eotechs.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:35:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I certainly would be . Is the dot pretty easy to pick up? I wanna try one bad but nervous I'll hate it after being so used to eotechs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you have ever used an Aimpoint micro... its just as easy to pick up the dot
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:57:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very easy for me. I had a couple EOTechs and to me its just as easy to pick up - but EOTechs played with my astigmatism
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Finally got to take mine out to shoot today, three shots got me bustin clay pigeons at 50 yds.
It helps to actually read the instructions. I usually screw that part up. Put it on paper, tweaked
the windage, and was soon popping clay pigeons at 100.
With 60 year old eyes with astigmatism and an addiction to coffee, that was a little better than
I had hoped for. The PA red dot was a good choice.

As an aside, the newly completed Ar is a fine shooter, due to the FN chf 16 in midlength upper
from PSA.

Ol Scruff is a happy shooter today
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought  PA M4 Clone over a year ago.  After 13 months it would turn off and on with a tap or when i fired the rifle.  I went through it and am pretty certain it is an internal wire loose so it is basically a paperweight.  I also have two of the MD-06 micros.  These things are not Aimpoint quality but you might be happy with it if it holds up.  One of the screws stripped the base when mounting my AD base to it.  I will not buy anymore Chinese optics.  YMMV
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 10:55:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bought  PA M4 Clone over a year ago.  After 13 months it would turn off and on with a tap or when i fired the rifle.  I went through it and am pretty certain it is an internal wire loose so it is basically a paperweight.  I also have two of the MD-06 micros.  These things are not Aimpoint quality but you might be happy with it if it holds up.  One of the screws stripped the base when mounting my AD base to it.  I will not buy anymore Chinese optics.  YMMV
View Quote

Aimpoint T1 screws strip as well. You'll find threads about it here every so often.

The M4 clones aren't even close to being in the same league as the ADS. Nor is the MD06.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Aimpoint T1 screws strip as well. You'll find threads about it here every so often.

The M4 clones aren't even close to being in the same league as the ADS. Nor is the MD06.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I stripped a screw on an Aimpoint R1 the first time I went to install it on a DD mount AND I was even using a "fat wrench" torque wrench.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 2:55:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

One month out of warranty!!! I hope you still have it I will cover it and repair or replace or give a store credit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One month out of warranty!!! I hope you still have it I will cover it and repair or replace or give a store credit.

Even if Aimpoint is the top dot - you'll never get customer service like you do with PA.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Even if Aimpoint is the top dot - you'll never get customer service like you do with PA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep I can attest to that. It took Aimpoint 3 months to exchange a PRO with an assembly defect. Primary Arms fixes shit RIGHT NOW.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#34]
What's better lower 1/3 or absolute co-witness ?
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Personal preference. If using fixed sights or have a front sight base, I like lower 1/3rd as it has a less cluttered sight picture. If using flip up sights both front and rear, I like absolute because your cheek weld never changes. If you need to shoot irons while using an optic that is on a lower 1/3rd mount, you may need to move your head.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 4:46:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Personal preference. If using fixed sights or have a front sight base, I like lower 1/3rd as it has a less cluttered sight picture. If using flip up sights both front and rear, I like absolute because your cheek weld never changes. If you need to shoot irons while using an optic that is on a lower 1/3rd mount, you may need to move your head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+2
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Looks like Radical Firearms is making Micro Dot mounts. PA is advertising them. They look pretty light weight.

Any idea if they are USA made?

I just want something rock solid, but Im considering american defense atm.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Looks like Radical Firearms is making Micro Dot mounts. PA is advertising them. They look pretty light weight.

Any idea if they are USA made?

I just want something rock solid, but Im considering american defense atm.
View Quote

I LOVE my American Defense mount.

I know Radical Firearms is based in Houston, though I'm not sure if they actually machine the mounts.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 8:08:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 11:18:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I just upgraded to a MD-ADS this week from an MD-06 under similar conditions.  I love it !  I reused my American Defense AD-T1-t0 mount to obtain an absolute co-witness. I was previously at a lower 1/3 co-witness with my MD-06. Since I use Troy flip up sights, the co-witness difference was not a show stopper for me.  I added a Tango Down IO cover that was modified just a little to enlarge the battery compartment opening.  I used a Dremel rotary tool with a sanding drum attachment to obtain the best fit.  The brightness control buttons on MD-ADS optic operate normally with the Tango Down IO cover installed.  This red dot is a major step up from the MD-06 which I previously owned.  Others have dubbed this as the "Aimpoint Killer", I totally agree.  The folks at Primary Arms are Top Notch, you won't find anyone that treats their customers better !  I sent Marshall a few pics, I hope he will post a couple of them.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:54:51 AM EDT
[#41]
Having just watched the torture test videos this morning..... All I can say is... WOW.... Throw in a battery life of 50k hours.  Even more impressive

The differences between PA and Aimpoint, continue to shrink by leaps and bounds.

At only $170.... Those differences seems quite small. lol

I'm a buyer

Link Posted: 11/15/2014 12:48:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I just upgraded to a MD-ADS this week from an MD-06 under similar conditions.  I love it !  I reused my American Defense AD-T1-t0 mount to obtain an absolute co-witness. I was previously at a lower 1/3 co-witness with my MD-06. Since I use Troy flip up sights, the co-witness difference was not a show stopper for me.  I added a Tango Down IO cover that was modified just a little to enlarge the battery compartment opening.  I used a Dremel rotary tool with a sanding drum attachment to obtain the best fit.  The brightness control buttons on MD-ADS optic operate normally with the Tango Down IO cover installed.  This red dot is a major step up from the MD-06 which I previously owned.  Others have dubbed this as the "Aimpoint Killer", I totally agree.  The folks at Primary Arms are Top Notch, you won't find anyone that treats their customers better !  I sent Marshall a few pics, I hope he will post a couple of them.
View Quote

Did you do any modding to the top for the buttons?
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah if you could post a couple pics of the cover that would be great. I was going to add one to mine. I'm interested to see how you modified the top for the buttons.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#44]
No modifications were made to the top of the cover where the buttons are located.  I did not do this because the buttons responded well even through the TD IO cover.  The only modification was to enlarge the opening of the TD cover where the battery compartment is located.  Simply put the cover on the optic (Be sure to remove the windage and elevation control covers along with the battery cover first). It's a little tight but it will fit.  Once you have the cover on the optic, put the battery cover back on the optic.  Take a pen or pencil and trace around the battery cover onto the TD cover.  Remove the cover from the optic.  Once you have the cover off, you will have a line on the TD cover that you can use as a guide to enlarge the opening.  I've found that using a Dremel rotary tool with a sanding drum works best.  I guess you could also use a small hobby knife, but you'd have to be really careful with it. I'll try to post a couple of pics.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#45]
See my posts HERE
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 7:12:33 PM EDT
[#46]
Link to my pics  http://s36.photobucket.com/user/badger223/library/
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Pretty neat, im sorta interested in grabbing one for a foliage build.

Is the cover rubber, or a flexible plastic? I'm thinking I could do a cut out for the buttons with an exacto knife.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW!

Ok Marsh, I asked you earlier if this compared favorably with a T1 and you said not so much.

Then I watched crazy Ivan try to utterly destroy it and it kept ticking right along. Modest much? Looks pretty solid on my end.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#49]
I just picked up another primary arms red dot after having some bad luck with Holosun's new model.  They are definitely my favorite red dot for the price.  Unfortunately the magnifier I just got with the red dot has a non-functional diopter adjustment. Seems like I have had nothing but horrible luck lately, but thankfully Marshall and the rest of the Primary Arms crew are amazing on the customer service end of things.
Link Posted: 11/16/2014 9:18:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top