Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2014 12:03:08 AM EDT
Long story short.....I know the mil marks are only correct at the 4 setting.....but is the center dot the same at both the 1 and the 4 settings......thanks in advance.......
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 12:07:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Long story short.....I know the mil marks are only correct at the 4 setting.....but is the center dot the same at both the 1 and the 4 settings......thanks in advance.......
View Quote

Should be, but as with any scope, always best to check POI vs. POA at the various magnification settings just to be sure.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I think OP is asking whether the dot changes actual or apparent size with zoom.  I don't know for sure, but the subtension probably changes with magnification just like the other marks in the reticle.  I can say that Firedot on the Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x  and VX-R Patrol 1.25-4x are both .3 mil (about 1 MOA) at 4x and are in the second plane, meaning their subtension is only accurate at 4x.  At 4x they cover about one inch on a 100 yard target.  At 2x they cover about two inches of the same target.

If the question is about point of aim shift, no quality scope should do that and I would doubt that Vortex, Leupold or any other good company would ever intentially market a product that would shift POI with zoom.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#4]
The center is still the center. The only way the POI should change is if you use a holdover or turn a turret. If you have a scope that changes the POI by changing magnification, something is wrong with the scope.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Let me see if this better presents my thought.......at 1X I am hitting POA.....at 4X I seem to be hitting lower. 50yards with 50 yards zero at 1X.....I might be losing my mind,,,,I'll try it one more time towards the end of the week....
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Sight it in on 4x, then see what you get on 1x.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 8:39:48 PM EDT
[#7]
paralax
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sight it in on 4x, then see what you get on 1x.
View Quote

This^. Your aim and margin of error will be worse at 1x than at 4x.  Sight in at 4x.  Then, chances are good that your 1x group (while likely larger) should print on top of the 4x group.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:44:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Will give it a shot (ha, a pun!).......
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:48:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Any holdovers whether mil dot, MOA or fancy BDC will not work on a variable optic with a second focal plane reticule. Only at it's highest power. If you want it to work at all, you'll have to pony up for a First Focal Plane reticule optic where the reticule size varies with what power you've got the optic on.

However, there is supposedly a mathematical formula for this:

Distance = size of target (in yards) / mils, multiplied by current magnification / scope's full power magnification.

Soooooo...

Say I measure a target at .9 mils in my scope and I know it's an 18" circle. I'm using a 1-4 optic and have my optic set at 3x.

Take our standard mil equation: 18/36 = .5 * 1000 = 500. 500 / .9 (size of target in mils) = 555.5 yards. Then, to correct for my optic being set on 3x instead of it's max of 4x;  555.5 * 3/4 = 416.6 yards away. So, the target is actually 416 yards away.  

That's what I've concluded in my own studies on using mils. If someone sees that I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top