Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/19/2014 4:10:51 AM EDT
I was thinking it would be interesting if there was a sight that used fiber optics such as mepro21 or trijicon, but using an led to light it up? no? maybe?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:30:52 AM EDT
[#1]
People have taped small LED lights to the FO feed of a Trijicon optic to do exactly that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:47:54 AM EDT
[#2]
it seems like it makes sense
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
It gets too bright. The fiber optic by itself works just great. Even just that, gets too bright sometimes.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:08:03 AM EDT
[#4]
The Leupold Firedot reticles use a fiber optic tube to transmit the small .3 mil dot to the reticle from the LED.  This enables the dot to stay perfectly round, maintain true color, and not bloom at very bright daylight intensity settings, if cranked up that high.

This also allows the battery and brightness control to be moved away from the eyepiece to the left side of the turrets.

However, the fiber optic tube is encased except at each end, so there is no way for ambient light to illuminate the dot.

I like your idea.  It would seem a small step for Leupold to accomplish what you propose, as most of the system is already in place.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#5]
There is already a device like that for the Mepro 21 - the Wash Out Remover. Been around about a year now. Some guy at the Bullpup Forum made them.

I have three Mepros. My first 2 honestly never wash out. You can always see it a little. My last one isn't so lucky. The reticle isn't as bright in some instances, unfortunately. I got a wash out remover attached in the rare instance it would be an issue in live use.

http://www.bullpuparmory.com/product_p/hg-wor-m21.htm

I never got one until this 3rd Mepro, because I didn't need it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#6]
You mean like the Trijicon Tripower?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top