Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2014 4:00:24 PM EDT
Looking to add an ACOG to my new build but do not know much about them. Interested in the horseshoe reticle and was curious if there is a visible black reticle if the tritium does and no light being collected through the fiber optic (i.e. Shooting in a dark room into bright light. Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, the reticle is etched into the glass, so even if the tritium died (~15 years) and there was zero ambient light for the fiber optic to pick up, the reticle would still be visible, although it will appear black and be hard to see on any kind of dark background.  The horseshoe is my personal favorite, although the chevrons and crosshairs are nice too, with the donut coming in dead last.

The TA33 3x30, TA31 4x32, and TA11 3.5x35 seem to be the 3 most popular models.
Here's a writeup that does a PHENOMENAL job of comparing the 3:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=654467
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:17:48 PM EDT
[#2]
So which are you looking at? 4x?

I used to think $1000 for a 4x fixed optic was stupid. I got one in trade two months ago and honestly I dont think I will ever get rid of it.

It is also important to note that the only time you will ever see the tritium illumination is at night, all other times the fiber optic works VERY well.

I've got a TA31F, and I'm loving the chevron!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So which are you looking at? 4x?

I used to think $1000 for a 4x fixed optic was stupid. I got one in trade two months ago and honestly I dont think I will ever get rid of it.

It is also important to note that the only time you will ever see the tritium illumination is at night, all other times the fiber optic works VERY well.

I've got a TA31F, and I'm loving the chevron!
View Quote

had I known you were looking for one I would have traded you mine.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have the red dot that screws into the built in mount?

Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I am looking at the TA33H and TA31H in red. Not sure if the FOV on the TA33 will be a deal breaker. Need to find somewhere in town with some to look at.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the TA33 and TA31, but in my opinion there is not a more perfect ACOG than the TA11MGO-M249 3.5x35 green horseshoe, with an RM07 on top just for good measure:

This is the one optic that will still be here after all others have come and gone.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:58:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a TA33 and a TA31. Love them both. My particular favorite reticle is the chevron with red illumination.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the TA11E mounted on my M&P 10 and love the way that platform works together.

I was looking for a red dot sight, but when I saw the TA44S, I knew that I had to have it for my DDM4V1lw.  It has a bit of magnification (1.5) but you can still shoot with both eyes open without much issue, especially after getting used to it.  To me, the circle dot is an awesome reticle.

Plus it is tougher than nails and I really dig the unmistakable Trijicon profile.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top