Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/17/2014 12:27:14 PM EDT
I am looking to put a 1-6x on my 16" in place of an acog 4x.  I firmly believe in buy once cry once, so I want the brightest, lightest fastest optic I can get.  Price is not an object.  As I said, I want the best.

What are your recommendations?  Thanks!

Edit:  I don't like ballistic specific reticles.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:35:16 PM EDT
[#1]
VCOG
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
VCOG
View Quote

I was just going to edit...

One thing I do not want is a ballistic specific reticle.  That rules out the VCOG for now until they come out with additional models.

I am leaning toward a mark 6 with the TMR-D reticle right now.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:43:03 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

Given the last two scopes on your list I suppose I should add the leupold mark 8 1-8x to my short list also.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#5]
VCOG
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I would add to that list the Kahles Helia K16i, an illuminated 1-6x24.

I don't have one, but if the glass is as good as the glass in the Kahles hunting scope I have, it is going to be absolutely stunningly, breath takingly, brilliant.  Several FFP reticle choices.

Kahles Helia K16i Competition Scopes
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Meopta 1-6x24 R2

- Not too expensive.
- German glass
- Made in Europe
- American own company
- daylight visible illumination w/ microprocessor controlled power system
- 17 oz
- 30mm tube
- lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:15:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The VCOG is pretty heavy.  23oz without the mount or a battery... Youch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

The VCOG mount weighs half what several of the popular scope mounts out there way though.

Another vote for the VCOG though. Ballistic reticle aside, I also own a Mark 6 1-6x, and the VCOG makes it its bitch.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 3:32:31 PM EDT
[#10]
The K16i is the daddy until something else comes along that can match it feature for feature.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:38:58 PM EDT
[#11]
It's going to be hard to beat the K16i.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:06:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is there any info around on using the 2nd focal plane reticle in them for ranging unknown target distances?

Edit:  A second focal plane reticle in a $2700 scope is a little disappointing don't you think?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The VCOG mount weighs half what several of the popular scope mounts out there way though.

Another vote for the VCOG though. Ballistic reticle aside, I also own a Mark 6 1-6x, and the VCOG makes it its bitch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In the red.  How so?  Looking for details if you can.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the ideas everyone.  Couple options in here I had never thought of.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:01:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I have my eye on the Swarovski Z6/Z6I for a build later this yr.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 9:39:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am a huge USO fan and I have used the SB scope listed, but I did have the opportunity to handle this scope and I was taken back at the clarity and the ease of operating the zoom lever.  

Of I were to go with another brand, Kahles would be the one.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:37:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Is there any info around on using the 2nd focal plane reticle in them for ranging unknown target distances?

Edit:  A second focal plane reticle in a $2700 scope is a little disappointing don't you think?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well imo it depends. Are you going to be ranging targets at 1x/4x or on the highest setting?

The other benefit of FFP is on 1x the reticle looks more like a red dot since its smaller. Anyways these are just questions I am asking myself and kinda just thinking out loud since I am no expert in this subject.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You should be able to find one around 2300 maybe less. Range on 6x, no need for FFP.

Join Snipers Hide and check out their optics forum. You'll get better feedback on higher end scopes and the US Khales rep is a member. Call sportoptics.com for best pricing and CS in the business.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:18:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Deleted by me.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Depending on your mission for the weapon, you might consider an Elcan Spectre DR 1.5-6.  It is a great match for the SCAR 17

Bob
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Depending on your mission for the weapon, you might consider an Elcan Spectre DR 1.5-6.  It is a great match for the SCAR 17

Bob
View Quote

The Elcan makes so much sense.  I mean, whoever uses anything but 1X or 6X?  I know I don't use any 'in-between' on my SWFA SS HD.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Mk6 1-6 TMR-D this isn't even a contest.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:16:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

One thing I do not want is a ballistic specific reticle.  That rules out the VCOG for now until they come out with additional models.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
VCOG

They're all close enough out to past 500 yards. Past that so what? Don't be lazy, learn your subtensions and adjust as necessary. I use BDCs with different loads all the time.

Get the VCOG. It's just that damn good. You will not regret it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:17:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Given the last two scopes on your list I suppose I should add the leupold mark 8 1-8x to my short list also.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have a CQBSS/H27D. It's getting replaced with a VCOG. That is what is called a clue.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:17:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Don't overlook the Swavo Z6i with the BRT reticle.  King of the 3-gun optics among the pros.   Kahles great too and the firms are affiliated.  Glass is amazing and make an ACOG look like the bottom of a coke bottle.

The BRT reticle can be avoided with another reticle but unlike many of the others, the BRT isn't labeled and you can use their ballistic calculator and simply make note at the ranges each hold represents.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The reticle is usable without illumination, and the illum is also usable pretty much everywhere inside the eyebox. The MK6/MK8 requires almost perfect head position to use the illum.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks everyone for all your input!!!!  I wish I could get one of each recommended and test them out.  This is going to be a tough decision...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:27:58 AM EDT
[#28]
ELCAN Specter DR 1.25-6X-42mm.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 6:28:27 AM EDT
[#29]
First:

What is the purpose of the rifle?

Do you need a precision optic with the ability to drop down to 1x? Or do you need a CQB optic with the ability to use it at range when necessary? There is a difference and it effects selection. For the former, I would say the March 1-8 hands down as it is an excellent precision optic, and it can still be zoomed down to 1X. For a CQB optic that can be used at range in a pinch, I would refer to 3-gunners on this forum.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd go with th S&B 1-8 PM Short Dot.  A FFP reticle with a SFP dot.  If it's anything like the 1.1-4x, the dot is as bright as an Aimpoint dot, and the glass is excellent.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'd go with th S&B 1-8 PM Short Dot.  A FFP reticle with a SFP dot.  If it's anything like the 1.1-4x, the dot is as bright as an Aimpoint dot, and the glass is excellent.
View Quote
I was just going to ask if anyone here has one and what are your impressions? It seems like a really, really nice optic

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Kahles K16i, then the Swaro..
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Kahles K16i, then the Swaro..
View Quote

The Swarovski is very nice, but IMHO, not quite as nice as an S&B.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I was just going to ask if anyone here has one and what are your impressions? It seems like a really, really nice optic  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

[sigh] I wish.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:16:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This may have been the most sought after scopes, but after 4 years of nada after the SHOT show intro I gave up.  Honestly, had to see if anyone is actually selling it as it's been listed as coming soon for years.  It had all sorts of design and quality issues in the prototpe phase.  Same challenges with the 1-8x from Premier.

S&B is a great glass maker though so if you have the cash, I'm sure you'd be happy.  Bet they didn't release it until it was a proven product.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This may have been the most sought after scopes, but after 4 years of nada after the SHOT show intro I gave up.  Honestly, had to see if anyone is actually selling it as it's been listed as coming soon for years.  It had all sorts of design and quality issues in the prototpe phase.  Same challenges with the 1-8x from Premier.

S&B is a great glass maker though so if you have the cash, I'm sure you'd be happy.  Bet they didn't release it until it was a proven product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like swFa has it in stock and i agree. If it,lives up to its specs It looks absolutely amazing!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 12:01:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It looks like swFa has it in stock and i agree. If it,lives up to its specs It looks absolutely amazing!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just because SWFA lists it doesn't mean it's in stock.

The web page at CS Tactical says:

(This S&B 1-8x is not out yet. We are being told their ETA Is Unknown At The Moment)

http://cstactical.com/962/schmidt-bender-1-8-x-24-pm-short-dot.html
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#38]
Damn it.

Wondering if I should just get a vortex 1-4 for now and then move that to my 300 blackout when I decide/things are available.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 1:42:51 PM EDT
[#39]
I have heard good things about March scopes. I intend to buy one soon. Probably the D10V24TML ($1900).

Price list (notice mil. adjustment version)
http://www.kelbly.com/march-scopes/March%20Kelbly-Retail%20price%202014.html

reticle selection on the right
http://marchscopes.com/tactical-1-10-x-24.html

1-10x24, 18 oz, 10.5" long, 30mm tube, 200MOA windage and elevation, side focus. MOA or MIl turrets.  Good reticle selection, available with ilumination.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 2:53:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Damn it.

Wondering if I should just get a vortex 1-4 for now and then move that to my 300 blackout when I decide/things are available.

View Quote

Unless you absolutely need magnification past 4x, I'd get the S&B 1.1-4x24 Short Dot LE scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/242536/schmidt-and-bender-police-marksman-ii-zenith-short-dot-le-rifle-scope-30mm-tube-11-4x-24mm-illuminated-fd7-reticle-matte

I can't say enough good things about it.  The glass has a clarity that let's you pick out details that others don't, plus the dot is daylight-bright.  Great scope.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:26:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Hmmm, same length and size as a 1-6x
20.11 ounces compared to 16.9 for the K16i
same cost or higher than the premium 1-6x's
only 4x magnification

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 6:47:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Owning a PST would not be a bad way to go until you figure out what you really want. It also might help you decide what features you want and don't want. You wouldn't lose much selling it or it would be a decent scope for a back-up/beater rifle/etc.. Can't go wrong here, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:46:23 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hmmm, same length and size as a 1-6x
20.11 ounces compared to 16.9 for the K16i
same cost or higher than the premium 1-6x's
only 4x magnification
View Quote

Optics are always a set of trade-offs, and a personal choice.  All I'll say is that I have both the Z6i and the S&B 1.1-4x Short Dot LE, and I use the S&B for competition.  For what I do, clarity is more important than the extra 2x magnification.  Not saying there's anything wrong with the Z6i (hell, I like it), but I think the S&B has the edge.

As always, YMMV.

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top