Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2014 5:21:15 PM EDT
There has not been a review of the production model of this optic so I figured I would give it a shot.

I ordered the Falcon Optics Menace 5.5-25x50IR (Stock # - FALM2550IR) from SWFA for use on my new Remington 700 AAC-SD.  For those building a Precision Rifle on a budget, the $549 price point is a plus.  You can enter the Coupon Code "FAL5" to receive an additional 5% off the purchace price.

In the past, there was a review on Snipers Hide back in 2009 of a pre-production 5.5-25x56 model and the reviewer found many short-comings that have since been rectified.

First off, the Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50IR is a FFP scope built around a one-piece 30mm tube.  The turret housing has 1/10 MIL Target Knobs and a side focus knob for dialing out parallax from 50 yards to infinity.  It has an illuminated Brabant-20 (B20) reticle.  This reticle is one of the included reticles on the free version of Strelok for mobile devices.

The 32.1oz scope came packaged in a white box and included 2 flip-up caps, a 35mm sunshade, an allen wrench for removing/zeroing the target knobs, a lens cleaning cloth, and an owners manual.  No warranty registration card was included (any warranty work MUST include the original sales receipt according tho the Falcon Optics website).  It was well protected in a cut-foam liner. There is a serial number on the bottom of the turret housing along with the model number. The elevation and windage knobs are marked for 0.1 MIL (1 click = 1cm at 100m) and have three set screws.

The control knobs are a bit mushy (which can be rectified with a little silicone spray lubricant upon removing the caps) but the clicks are crisp and audible.  The parallax knob was stiff and so was the power ring.  The power ring is marked from 5.5-25.  The graduations are clearly marked but the power setting is not visible from the shooting position.

The Image was clear, and with an adjustable cheek riser and low rings, proper eye relief and sight alignment wasn't an issue.  I am able to get in behind the rifle and was not forced to contort my body to adapt to an odd position.  At 25x magnification, the bottom part of the B20 reticle was past the edge of the sight.  While this optic has the magnification range that many are looking for it fails to deliver full usability of the reticle for hold-over at that magnification.

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The LED for the illuminated reticle is powered by a standard CR2032 coin cell which is included. it is switchable from red to green to off.  In the past, some "budget" illuminated reticles have been too bright to be usable, but the intensity of the illuminated reticle on the Falcon Menace can be dialed up or down to suit the conditions.

I haven't had the chance to test it out in the field due to the winter/sub-zero temperatures.  I will update this thread as the weather permits.

Specifications

Weight (oz): 32.1

Length (in): 15.95 (w/o Sunshade)

Eye Relief (in): 3.46

Field of View @ 100yds (ft): 19-4.8

Exit Pupil (mm): 9.09-2

Adj. Value Per Click 0.1 MRAD

Total Elevation Adj. Range 19.0 MRAD

Adj. Per Turn 6.0 MRAD

Objective lens Diameter (mm) 50

Outer Objective Lens Diameter (mm) 61

Outer Occular Diameter (mm) 43

Warranty: Limited Lifetime

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top