Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/27/2014 2:40:16 PM EDT
I want the best sights to co-witness on my incoming DD V5 with an Aimpoint H1.  I think I want Troy Industries. I haven't done this before so I need advice. Thanks.

This is for range and plimking, Maybe a carbine course for fun. No heavy duty stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:08:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Troy. Bought one from AIM not too long ago for $110 and free shipping.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I've owned Troy BUIS before and they are fine. I, personally, use Magpul Gen II MBUS since they deploy easily with gross motor skills.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I find myself liking the YHM folding BUIS more and more evertime I use them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a rifle with just troy buis, no optic, for a long time. Great sights that hold zero.

VO
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#5]
People give the Magpul MBUS a hard time because it is made of polymer.  Truth is, you aren't going to get a better sight at a better price...or even twice the price.

MBUS Drop Test
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 3:46:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I use diamondhead hybrids on all of mine. Fuck troy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#8]
MBUS will work for BUIS with a red dot, I'd go with the MBUS PROs if you're running a variable as a primary.  I only like the KAC's as offsets but even then prefer a 30 degree offset aimpoint rather than 45 degree irons.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Offset offset, everyone knows about offset.  So, how is this done, is there a sort of 'riser' that everyone uses to 'offset'?  Do the various optic and iron sight manufactures offer versions I'm not seeing or maybe an offset 'riser'?  I'm deff interested in a 30 deg offset; either offset a set of irons (probably for my budget lol), or maybe an eo-tech with a 30 deg offset (would even one of the smaller eo-tech models even fit with only 30 deg of offset)?  What are you doing about your cheek weld issues; special stocks with big fat generous cheek weld areas that sort of 'roll over' the top of the stock (rather than just on the upper side), not caring about that, or what?
I'd like an acog 3x on top (I think), but since this will double as a self defense tool I would like to have the capability to use it up close, and quick as well (none of this "detach the QD mount and put on your up close sight then tell the intruder you're ready now"), so I figure if I can get used to it, simply rotating the gun about another 30 deg and using the new sight picture and start shooting.  I'd put the acog on the offset but if I want to actually use my BDC clicks then I need to keep it on top, also for longer range more precise shooting I think I'd be much better off with the acog on top (that 3 power magnifying is going to help my cruddy eyes, and the eye relief of the G33 seems to bother me, I need easy eye relief).
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 2:45:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Offset offset, everyone knows about offset.  So, how is this done, is there a sort of 'riser' that everyone uses to 'offset'?  Do the various optic and iron sight manufactures offer versions I'm not seeing or maybe an offset 'riser'?  I'm deff interested in a 30 deg offset; either offset a set of irons (probably for my budget lol), or maybe an eo-tech with a 30 deg offset (would even one of the smaller eo-tech models even fit with only 30 deg of offset)?  What are you doing about your cheek weld issues; special stocks with big fat generous cheek weld areas that sort of 'roll over' the top of the stock (rather than just on the upper side), not caring about that, or what?
I'd like an acog 3x on top (I think), but since this will double as a self defense tool I would like to have the capability to use it up close, and quick as well (none of this "detach the QD mount and put on your up close sight then tell the intruder you're ready now"), so I figure if I can get used to it, simply rotating the gun about another 30 deg and using the new sight picture and start shooting.  I'd put the acog on the offset but if I want to actually use my BDC clicks then I need to keep it on top, also for longer range more precise shooting I think I'd be much better off with the acog on top (that 3 power magnifying is going to help my cruddy eyes, and the eye relief of the G33 seems to bother me, I need easy eye relief).
View Quote

Bit of a post steal, but yes offset mounts are made for most everything. When talking about gaining a cheekweld that isn't really needed in a cqb situation. So most people just use normal stocks. Especially with a red dot. Just a quick rotation of the rifle dot on center mass and fire. Then return to your optic. The mounts for this route can be expensive. A lot of people are just buying keymof rails that have mounting slots at 45 degree position and just using standard mounts. This gives more flexibility and is much cheaper than the dedicated mounts.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 3:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Diamondhead just released a polymer set of buis.   Awesome.

link

Or offset pop outs.

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Ha that's cool, and instead of operating on the x/y axis, they perform their windage/elevation adjustments an exact x/y but simply offset 45 deg.  Basically if you hang your target at a 45 deg angle then look at your groups with the target held normally, you can adjust the sites for windage and elevation as though they were mounted normally.

ie. rotate target 45 deg, then shoot your groups, then rotate the target back to where top is up and make your sight adjustments as though it was that way all along and as though your sights were mounted on top of the gun.

My only concern is that if I had a quick elevation adjust knob on the rifle sights, it would be useless in real life situations should I try and use the sites as a back up.  The good side is I could simply zero them for 130 yards or something like that and call it 'plenty good enough' out to any range my cruddy eyes can operate at.

On the other hand I'll probably have handguards already I do not want to toss off of my rifle, and I'll probably want to mount some kind of red dot (likely an eo-tech), but for not I'm gonna locate those offset pop ups and probably get them to go with the irons that will probably come with my rifle.  Then I'll learn to use and get comfortable with them (or at least learn if I can lol :), before deciding on my optics choices (spending money I can't just 'unspend').
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Good Lord!!  That's 300 bucks for iron sights :(  I was hoping for a 25-30 dollar aluminium offset mount.  Something about the size, and cost of a simple riser lol.  I gotta keep looking (man you were -not- kidding about the offset sights being more pricy than one would expect :(
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 6:59:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I vote for MBUS gen2 sights and a $400 Aimpoint. I don't see the point in dropping $300 in back up sights that you'll rarely ever use.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:15:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Good lord my google-fu is terrible today, but finally I found one (sold out at the retailer I was looking at but here's the mfg link).
https://danieldefense.com/1-o-clock-offset-rail.html

just mount on a standard side rail, and boom you have your offset mount for irons, red dot or whatever :)  Think I'll try and get this somewhere and then try different things before I spend big $$ on a pricy optic to offset (I can't seem to adjust to any red dot besides eo-tech, the tiny ones are even worse still for me; gotta learn to adjust to more things).

damn, looked and looked but I cannot find this product on the mfg website (bad google-fu?), http://www.policestore.com/optics-laser-sights/scope-bases/rifle-bases/45-degree-dovetail-angle-mount-sku100003301-24636-51210.aspx
cheaper version by some company called double star (dunno who they are, but heck I'm pretty new to the toys, mounts and such like; i -still- just cannot seem to find this damn kitchen sink people keep mentioning that they mount to their rifles??)

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top