Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/24/2014 4:25:03 AM EDT
I just saw this on yesterday's "Today's Photos"" thread from MilitaryPhotos.net - a Marine Corps VBSS team using the Vortex Strikefire on their M4s.  There's also some 1911 goodness in there.

High res image from Navy.mil.

I'm not a Vortex shill; I don't even own any of their products; I just thought I'd point it out to give the Vortex fans something to shake at the Aimpoint and EOTech guys.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:31:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Most likely personally owned.  Ive never even seen Aimpoints issued.  Mostly I've seen ACOGs with some Elcans and Eotechs.        

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:41:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most likely personally owned.        
View Quote

I agree.  The one on the other Marine's rifle looks brand new:

High res image from Navy.mil.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
They better not put em in any water...
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Most likely personally owned.  Ive never even seen Aimpoints issued.  Mostly I've seen ACOGs with some Elcans and Eotechs.          
View Quote

It is hit or miss, I have been issued them when I was with 24 MEU while normally II MEF units used EOTECHs if a RDS was issued. While it was more common in I MEF units to get aimpoints bought via COTS/GOTS
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Units are getting more and more flexibility in optics. I work at the new Kennedy irregular in dc not to be confused with the traditional one in north Carolina, and our gms have been getting a large assortment of different optics in and letting us more or less pick our preference.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 4:55:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Units are getting more and more flexibility in optics. I work at the new Kennedy irregular in dc not to be confused with the traditional one in north Carolina, and our gms have been getting a large assortment of different optics in and letting us more or less pick our preference.
View Quote

Not in the Marines, we have moved really toward no longer allowing non-issue optics to be used.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Army here, but all we have are M68's.  Pretty sure we have a few ACOG's laying around, but they not mounted on anything as far as I know.  Never have, and likely never will see a vortex strikefire on a .mil weapon.  Gotta be personally owned, and may have been slapped on there just for a photo op.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:02:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Army here, but all we have are M68's.  Pretty sure we have a few ACOG's laying around, but they not mounted on anything as far as I know.  Never have, and likely never will see a vortex strikefire on a .mil weapon.  Gotta be personally owned, and may have been slapped on there just for a photo op.
View Quote

That's what I'm thinking.  It would be splashed all over the Vortex web site if they were awarded a DoD contract for one of their cheapo optics.  Or that particular unit was selected to receive a batch for T&E.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#9]
What camo is that?

Marpat??  I thought marpat and EGA mixed with the pattern.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking.  It would splashed all over the Vortex web site if they were awarded a DoD contract for one of their cheapo optics.  Or that particular unit was selected to receive a batch for T&E.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I'm thinking.  It would splashed all over the Vortex web site if they were awarded a DoD contract for one of their cheapo optics.  Or that particular unit was selected to receive a batch for T&E.  

PFPA used them prior to switching to aim point last year
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:08:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It is hit or miss, I have been issued them when I was with 24 MEU while normally II MEF units used EOTECHs if a RDS was issued. While it was more common in I MEF units to get aimpoints bought via COTS/GOTS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it common to dummy cord their stuff like that with cored out 550? I would think it's not very heat resistant.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Is that a 16" barrel?

edit: I think the angle is making it look longer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:14:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is that a 16" barrel?

edit: I think the angle is making it look longer.
View Quote

Hard to tell, but it does look a tad long.

ETA: Mixing up firearms accessories.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm kind of curious as to how well the Strikefires will hold up in their environment.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:42:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That still constitutes a relatively small order for an organization that size. I'm talking big league DoD procurement, like an excess of at least a few thousand units.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 1:51:08 PM EDT
[#16]

"When you get a real optic we will let you have magazines!"
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/I2lbiZg.jpg
View Quote

Realistically, by using only a PEQ16, his chances of finding anything to shoot at on a dark boat are pretty slim.

I think my mini streamlight is brighter.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Realistically, by using only a PEQ16, his chances of finding anything to shoot at on a dark boat are pretty slim.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a 16A, which is the POR for the Marine Corps

Back in the MSPF days they use to be able to do fine with 50-60 lumen sure fires for the 120 or so on the 16A does fine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

That still constitutes a relatively small order for an organization that size. I'm talking big league DoD procurement, like an excess of at least a few thousand units.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably in the thousands really, they are a pretty large and well armed agency in DoD
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 2:46:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is it common to dummy cord their stuff like that with cored out 550? I would think it's not very heat resistant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty common to use gutted 550 or zipties.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 3:03:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Back in the MSPF days they use to be able to do fine with 50-60 lumen sure fires for the 120 or so on the 16A does fine.
View Quote

Is 120 what they're supposed to be? The one I have now is probably closer to 30 lumens. The 16B is probably better.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem is when it craps out from over heating.

Link Posted: 1/25/2014 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, thanks. We used zipties (high heat resistance) or wheedled somebody in the survival shop to safety wire our stuff.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top