Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2013 4:24:25 AM EDT
Hey all,
Been doing a lot of reading on optics (fantastic depth of info BTW) ! I'm specifically looking for a RD type optic to be used strictly for some non-military tatical target training. I currently have a meat and potatoes Bushmaster Carry Handle type M4 carbine. I also wear prescription glasses, and my long distance eyesight is poor. I'd like to build my optics package primarily for up to say 50 yards , but would like the versatility of a 100 yd shot if need be. Also strictly daylight training. Would like to stay around $300 for the optic  Your experiences would be great !
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#1]
find somebody with a quality red dot  ( aimpoint or eotech ) and look through it to see if it will be ok with your prescription glasses and go from there .
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:57:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't see a good symmetrical  dot due to my astigmatism.... you may not have that problem... if you wear bi focals, suggest you have your optician make a pair of glasses with your near prescription in the entire lens of your dominant eye, and near/far standard in your weak eye... I am relegated to shooting a magnified optic, and have no problems with any of my ACOGS
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Aimpoint Pro if you want to spend $300+ish. Primary Arms/Bushnell TRS25 microdots if you want to be cheap and keep the gun lightweight & handy. $100+/-
I don't really like any of the options in between honestly, and I've played with almost all of them.

One of the prismatic type optics may be a good choice since you may have eye issues, but I have no experience with those. I have tried the 1-4x type scopes, and those present a much cleaner reticle. Only problem is they are heavy/bulky, and not exactly super rugged unless you want to spend $500-$2k.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Aimpoint pro,  i have had the cheeper brands to save money.. Ended up selling them and buying the aimpoint.  I dont see a perfect circle, i see a penut shape.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 12:28:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aimpoint Pro if you want to spend $300+ish. Primary Arms/Bushnell TRS25 microdots if you want to be cheap and keep the gun lightweight & handy. $100+/-
I don't really like any of the options in between honestly, and I've played with almost all of them.

One of the prismatic type optics may be a good choice since you may have eye issues, but I have no experience with those. I have tried the 1-4x type scopes, and those present a much cleaner reticle. Only problem is they are heavy/bulky, and not exactly super rugged unless you want to spend $500-$2k.
View Quote

There are several nice micro dot choices in between the high priced Aimpoints and the under $100 PA and TRS-25.  Among them, I have found and come to really like the little Lucid M7 microdot, which weighs 4.7 oz.  

It is very rugged, has a nice circle dot reticle, somewhat like EOTech, has automatic dot intensity with manual over ride, has a wide range of intensity adjustments with very bright for full sun and quite dim for night time bedroom.  It has a two hour auto shut down feature in case you forget to turn it off. Runs on a single "buy it anywhere, 24/7" AAA battery.  Capped and teathered (wired) turrets and battery compartment.  It is widely available (Optics Planet, Amazon, etc.) for about $189 shipped, a bit less with discount coupon codes.  It will need a small 1" riser to use on an AR.  I have two, one of which is holding up very well on a 12 gauge tactical shotgun with full power slugs and buckshot.  The sweet spot for non-combat optics may be in the range at or just below $200.

Here's what it looks like on a ADM QD riser on my build (apologies for poor cell cam quality):

Lucid M7 on ADM QD riser

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
If your in my neck of the woods (S NH) we can maybe meet up at the range. I have just about every RD listed here (PA, EO and PRO and TR-25) and I'd be happy to let you test drive before you buy.

For my money, you can't really go wrong with anything listed. It depends on how you plan to use it and what you expect of it. And budget. Mostly budget  The Pro would be at the top of my list for value and durability.

Like I said, I've got em all, and they all serve a specific purpose (PRO and EO on HD/SHTF guns, PA on range guns, TR-25 on a 15-22 for funsies).
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Aimpoint PRO that i got for not much more than your budget (360 shipped) and i love it. I would fully recommend it. You could probably pick up a used one for around 300.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:46:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are several nice micro dot choices in between the high priced Aimpoints and the under $100 PA and TRS-25.  Among them, I have found and come to really like the little Lucid M7 microdot, which weighs 4.7 oz.  

It is very rugged, has a nice circle dot reticle, somewhat like EOTech, has automatic dot intensity with manual over ride, has a wide range of intensity adjustments with very bright for full sun and quite dim for night time bedroom.  It has a two hour auto shut down feature in case you forget to turn it off. Runs on a single "buy it anywhere, 24/7" AAA battery.  Capped and tethered (wired) turrets and battery compartment.  It is widely available (Optics Planet, Amazon, etc.) for about $189 shipped, a bit less with discount coupon codes.  It will need a small 1" riser to use on an AR.  I have two, one of which is holding up very well on a 12 gauge tactical shotgun with full power slugs and buckshot.  The sweet spot for non-combat optics may be in the range at or just below $200.

Here's what it looks like on a ADM QD riser on my build (apologies for poor cell cam quality):

Lucid M7 on ADM QD riser

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is very rugged, has a nice circle dot reticle, somewhat like EOTech, has automatic dot intensity with manual over ride, has a wide range of intensity adjustments with very bright for full sun and quite dim for night time bedroom.  It has a two hour auto shut down feature in case you forget to turn it off. Runs on a single "buy it anywhere, 24/7" AAA battery.  Capped and tethered (wired) turrets and battery compartment.  It is widely available (Optics Planet, Amazon, etc.) for about $189 shipped, a bit less with discount coupon codes.  It will need a small 1" riser to use on an AR.  I have two, one of which is holding up very well on a 12 gauge tactical shotgun with full power slugs and buckshot.  The sweet spot for non-combat optics may be in the range at or just below $200.

Lucid M7 on ADM QD riser

Oh yeah, I forgot about the M7. I have an HD7 which I like, (donut dot reticle rules)but it's huge, and it shares something with the MD7, Vortex and Eotechs that I can't stand: Rubber membrane controls. Maybe I'm a ham fisted caveman, but I can't manipulate those rubber control pads with any confidence in the dark. It's not so hot with gloves on either. That's my only real beef with the above mentioned sights.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 6:57:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Try the little M7.  It has none of the negatives of those large dots.  It's like a poor man's  T-1 or H-1, but with the "donut dot" EOTech type reticle and all the other features of the HD7 except no multiple reticle choices.
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
With my aimpoints, I would never see a plain dot in a dark room. There would always be some sore of glare on the lower left of the dot. I thought it was something wrong with the sight until I got another model aimpoint and it had the exact same thing. Then I got lasik and now the dot is perfect.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top