Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/12/2013 9:31:34 PM EDT
I am about to click purchase. Give me a better option than this. I've looked at the USO 1-8.5x and hate the reticle options. I've looked at a ton of the 1-6.5 and want more magnification since this is going on an 18" SPR. Any other options out there worth looking at?

Side note: My scope on a 16" BCM is the 1-6.5x Bushnell Elite Tac so I am comfortable with the reticle.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 9:53:42 PM EDT
[#1]
What's taking you so long???
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 10:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
haha, I don't want to spend 2k and regret it 10 minutes later
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 2:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I want one really bad too, but its the reticle that holds me back.  If you're comfortable with the reticle, then I would say that is your last hurdle.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Why not spend half as much on a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP?

Do you really need to pay for a 1X option on a scope that goes into the 8X+ range?  And if you want a CQB option, mount a T1 or similar.

The Viper has a 32mm tube, better click range (1/4 MOA vs. 1/3 MOA) and costs half the price.

You may not like the reticle options on it.  I don't like them as much as the reticle on my SWFA HD 1-6x, but they aren't bad.

Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:43:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:41:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Burris is supposed to be releasing a 1.25-8 dual focal plane at SHOT. From what I have read Steiner has had some input with them and they will have a few high end mil/mil offerings this year.

Wait till after SHOT!!!!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:02:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I am about to click purchase. Give me a better option than this. I've looked at the USO 1-8.5x and hate the reticle options. I've looked at a ton of the 1-6.5 and want more magnification since this is going on an 18" SPR. Any other options out there worth looking at?

Side note: My scope on a 16" BCM is the 1-6.5x Bushnell Elite Tac so I am comfortable with the reticle.
View Quote

I've got the ET 3-12x44, a pair of ET 6-24x50 and the 3.5-21x50 HDMR, all with the G2 reticle.  If the 1-8.5x SMRS came with a different reticle (G2, Horus or even mil-dots), I'd have already bought one!

If you like the reticle, buy it!
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Just a heads up. There's one of these brand new on the EE for a good price.

No financial interest.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 10:56:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, the Vortex has a 30mm tube.  32mm is the size of the objective lens.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Burris is supposed to be releasing a 1.25-8 dual focal plane at SHOT. From what I have read Steiner has had some input with them and they will have a few high end mil/mil offerings this year.

Wait till after SHOT!!!!
View Quote

You're not going to be waiting after SHOT in January/February. It will be AT LEAST 6 months past that before you even begin to see products displayed there actually released. I know someone will come along and say, oh no-no we'll have this in production the week after...i'm calling bullshit. It hasn't been the case. Ever saw a 1-8x S&B scope in stock? Right.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You're not going to be waiting after SHOT in January/February. It will be AT LEAST 6 months past that before you even begin to see products displayed there actually released. I know someone will come along and say, oh no-no we'll have this in production the week after...i'm calling bullshit. It hasn't been the case. Ever saw a 1-8x S&B scope in stock? Right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wait till after SHOT!!!!

I agree with you but it wouldnt hurt me to wait another month to order something right now. At least then you'd know all the options out there. It's a little harder to move a $2000 scope than a $200 (without losing too much on it) scope if something else comes out that you would rather have.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 5:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I looked at the vortex, I like it. The thing I like about the Bushnell is that it's a 4 MOA red dot at 1x magnification. The eye relief is great. The only real thing holding me back is it's a little bulky, the turrets are large, and the 34mm tube is heavy. I do love the BDC on it though. I have shot my 16" out to 600 yards and put a 7" group together. I'm a fan of the 1-6.5, so I'm going to pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Primary Arms has 15% off in stock scopes over 599 right now... 15off599
Link Posted: 12/14/2013 2:17:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Also, the Vortex has a 30mm tube.  32mm is the size of the objective lens.
View Quote

Thanks.  I did mean to say 'objective.'

Bushnell Elite has a 24mm objective, and while the max power exit pupil is about the same (3.2mm for the Vortex vs. 3.0mm for the Bushnell, I would guess that the Vortex tube has better low-light performance (or is objective size not a good indicator - in and of itself - of light gathering ability?

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top