Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2013 6:51:35 AM EDT
I have an aimpoint PRO I got in a trade that I was planning to put on my HD/SHTF rifle. I'm wondering if there is any point to upgrading to a M4 or T1. The M4 seems to have a longer battery life, and I like how it uses a more commonly available battery. The T1 is a lot lighter. I've used the T1 before and really liked it, but not side by side with the PRO or any other larger aimpoint.

What would you guys do?
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The battery life on these things is ridiculous, I wouldn't see any point in changing over, you'll probably lose money and end up with pretty much the same thing afterwards. I've had the H-1 and found the smaller window made it less intuitive and the glass had a greenish tint that took away from the clarity IMO.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:41:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have an aimpoint PRO I got in a trade that I was planning to put on my HD/SHTF rifle. I'm wondering if there is any point to upgrading to a M4 or T1. The M4 seems to have a longer battery life, and I like how it uses a more commonly available battery. The T1 is a lot lighter. I've used the T1 before and really liked it, but not side by side with the PRO or any other larger aimpoint.

What would you guys do?
View Quote

I would definitely keep the Pro and add the T1.... the Pro is a nice economical-reliable back up solution....& it's always good to have reliable backup.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 9:34:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a T-1 on one of my rifles and a Pro on the another.

If weight is a huge issue with you and you can afford the $$ the T-1 is REALLY nice(I went with the LaRue Combo). I like the Pro enough to make it my go to RDS on all my other 'back-up' guns.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a T-1 with a lightweight Fortis mount.  Great lightweight combo.  All the red dot scope you will ever need.

Link Posted: 12/10/2013 10:10:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't see a reason to unless you have some $ burning a hole in your pocket.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 1:28:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't see a reason to unless you have some $ burning a hole in your pocket.
View Quote

Exactly, you already have more sight than you will probably ever use.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:01:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got both and really like the T-1.  I had been running the PRO in a LaRue cantilever mount so it moved that weight of the mount and PRO a little forward of the receiver.  I'm Now I run the T-1 in a LaRue mount.  I'm not a big guy and between the lighter optic and the fact that its not cantilevered and the weight is over the mag well, it was a big improvement for me.  I like it a lot.

Another difference for me was just standing around with the rifle slung.  That smaller T-1 removed a little more bulk from it and made it just a little more comfy standing around with.

Its probably just me but I seem to like the actual "dot" on the PRO better.  I have bad eyes and, for whatever reason (I don't pretend to understand the inner workings of these things) the dot is crisper to my eyes on the PRO.  The dot seems more "blurry" on my T-1.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 4:21:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 3 Aimpoints.  One is on its way back to Sweden right now for some warranty work.  Have a Pro, M4s and a ML3.  No experience with the little ones.  My next one will be another Pro.  Best bang for the buck and a really good optic.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#10]
It would be different if you didn't have one, but since you do, keep the PRO and spend the $ on ammo/training.  Your PRO has the same ruggedness and triple the battery life of the model I used in Iraq...it's fine.
Link Posted: 12/10/2013 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
M4 will be heavier, but bombproof.T1 will be much lighter and bombproof.

The PRO is fine for most things, and some people appreciate the fact that the window on the PRO is bigger than the T1. If you want to save weight, buy a T1.

If you can live with the PRO, take the money and buy mags and ammo.
View Quote

This.

I'm a weight freak so I'd get the T-1. If the PRO is working for you then keep it.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 3:53:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I ended up picking up a T-1 used locally. It's going on a rifle where only a T-1 would work (co-witnessed M14). But it did allow me to compare the PRO to it. I really like how compact and light it is. Although the window is smaller on it, the compact size made for less clutter around the sight picture, which I liked. However like a few people mentioned, the dot and the sight picture on the PRO was noticeably better. The rest of the parts for the build will be in this week and the only thing that will keep me from running the PRO is the balance, which I'll figure out once everything is together. After thinking about it, battery life is not a good enough reason to go through the hassle of upgrading to an M4, so that one is scrubbed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:54:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
After thinking about it, battery life is not a good enough reason to go through the hassle of upgrading to an M4, so that one is scrubbed.
View Quote

I hear people talking about battery life for the T-1 but Aimpoint will tell you it is 50K hours and I am still on my first battery after three years so I don't understand the concern.  The M-4 is suppose to be 80K hours so it is longer but 50K is a long time.

Since we are talking years of battery use (even if continuous) I suspect in a SHTF situation most people would run out of ammo long before they run out of battery life.  After all you are taking six years and that is if you have it on continuously.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:15:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:36:33 AM EDT
[#15]
No doubt, light is good, but money wasn't a huge factor for me when I recently bought a PRO.  It was a factor, but not the only one.

I expected to hate the PRO's mount and that the optic and mount would feel like a brick.  I dropped one on my rifle at a local range and was surprised.  I liked the mount.  It was super easy to use, secure, and did not mar or gouge the rail in any way.  The knob also does not bug me.  The weight?  Hardly noticed it.  I guess if I was still carrying a rifle all day, 5 or so ounces might matter to me, but I'm not.  Funny thing is, I hear people mention weight as a factor, yet some of those same folks have heavy quad rails, rail covers, vertical grips, lights, lasers, and who knows what else hanging off the front of their rifle.  Different strokes I guess.

One advantage of the Pro over the H1/T1 - the flip covers.  I can easily work them with one finger while ADS.  Even better, I don't need to open them at all.  With the rear transparent, I am on target immediately when aiming with both eyes open.  Very cool.  You give all of that up with an H1/T1...but I suppose you can also just leave your covers off.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got both and really like the T-1.  I had been running the PRO in a LaRue cantilever mount so it moved that weight of the mount and PRO a little forward of the receiver.  I'm Now I run the T-1 in a LaRue mount.  I'm not a big guy and between the lighter optic and the fact that its not cantilevered and the weight is over the mag well, it was a big improvement for me.  I like it a lot.

Another difference for me was just standing around with the rifle slung.  That smaller T-1 removed a little more bulk from it and made it just a little more comfy standing around with.

Its probably just me but I seem to like the actual "dot" on the PRO better.  I have bad eyes and, for whatever reason (I don't pretend to understand the inner workings of these things) the dot is crisper to my eyes on the PRO.  The dot seems more "blurry" on my T-1.
View Quote

Yeah, I don't know why.  I have a SPARC and the dot is blurry because I have a slight astigmatism.  The pro dot seems clearer to me and better.   It's 2 MOA and the only thing I like as much is the 1 MOA dot on the eotech.      Not sure why the pro dot is clearer.  Maybe larger optics than a T1 or the SPARC apperature.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The battery life on these things is ridiculous, I wouldn't see any point in changing over, you'll probably lose money and end up with pretty much the same thing afterwards. I've had the H-1 and found the smaller window made it less intuitive and the glass had a greenish tint that took away from the clarity IMO.
View Quote

Same here.

I used to own a ML2 Aimpoint and selling it was one of the dumbest things I've done. I like the larger sight picture myself.

Currently I own a Primary Arms micro dot and I don't really like it that much.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:22:52 AM EDT
[#18]
I am trying hard not to like my Pro....and mostly failing.

The reason I don't want to like it?--- the damn battery. Having lots of "tactical stuff" means all kinds of damn batteries these days. PVS runs on one AA, some combat lights run on 123's, some on AA's, my two T1's run on 2030s- those "coin batteries"- as does my Bushnell TRS cheapo .22 red dots, the Burris Mtacs and my Suunto, the half a dozen Comp M4's I run use AA's, my hearing protection uses AA's..... and the PRO? Uses a goofy assed 357 hearing aid battery......

Having said that, my "night rifle"- the one I have my PVS on most of the time.....has the Pro on it and I really like it. I "hate it" so much that I'm going to sell my original Comp M Aimpoint at the gunshow this weekend...and probably replace it with a Pro....
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep the Pro and save up for a T-1 or buy it's cheaper equivalent, the PA Micro Dot. I have both. I prefer the smaller sights.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:12:59 AM EDT
[#20]
So I'm definitely keeping the PRO for this rifle. The more I mess with it and compare it to the T-1, the more I like it. The larger window makes for a more forgiving eye position and the dot is just more clearer than the T-1's.

I'm not convinced I like the mount though. I prefer cam lever mounts like the one on the Bobro. The fact the PRO mount looks exactly like the cheap crap that came on my gamo air rifle doesn't help.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am trying hard not to like my Pro....and mostly failing.

The reason I don't want to like it?--- the damn battery. Having lots of "tactical stuff" means all kinds of damn batteries these days. PVS runs on one AA, some combat lights run on 123's, some on AA's, my two T1's run on 2030s- those "coin batteries"- as does my Bushnell TRS cheapo .22 red dots, the Burris Mtacs and my Suunto, the half a dozen Comp M4's I run use AA's, my hearing protection uses AA's..... and the PRO? Uses a goofy assed 357 hearing aid battery......

Having said that, my "night rifle"- the one I have my PVS on most of the time.....has the Pro on it and I really like it. I "hate it" so much that I'm going to sell my original Comp M Aimpoint at the gunshow this weekend...and probably replace it with a Pro....
View Quote

well if the feces hits the oscilator you can always raid a nursing home and get all the batteries you need for the pro .
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Get a T-1 with a lightweight Fortis mount.  Great lightweight combo.  All the red dot scope you will ever need.

http://images.photo2.walgreens.com/232323232%7Ffp537%3A7%3Enu%3D3%3B87%3E5%3B%3A%3E742%3E2%3C785%3B%3A833237ot1lsi
View Quote

nice looking rifle and mount . I like it
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:24:11 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm looking into getting a new sight. I've narrowed it down to the aimpoint PRO or the aimpoint  comp ml3... Any thoughts ?
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 3:30:04 AM EDT
[#24]
I buy most of my optics used. One thing I have noticed is that the Pros don't seem to depreciate much, or at least their owners don't think so..... If you go to the EE you will see MANY places selling them brand new for $380 or so.....and lots of private sellers asking the same amount. T1's and Comp M4's have a much higher "discount" on used ones it seems. I've seen one Pro in the last month that was listed for $325 which is about where I would think a used one SHOULD be......I've bought several M4's in the $400-425 range.....
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 4:59:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I buy most of my optics used. One thing I have noticed is that the Pros don't seem to depreciate much, or at least their owners don't think so..... If you go to the EE you will see MANY places selling them brand new for $380 or so.....and lots of private sellers asking the same amount. T1's and Comp M4's have a much higher "discount" on used ones it seems. I've seen one Pro in the last month that was listed for $325 which is about where I would think a used one SHOULD be......I've bought several M4's in the $400-425 range.....
View Quote

I've noticed the same thing, I guess that shows their priced low from the get go and the market reflects their bottom worth is no less then bout $325. Yet I have not seen any on the ee beat to shit so they're being babied and holding value pretty well.
Link Posted: 12/13/2013 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've noticed the same thing, I guess that shows their priced low from the get go and the market reflects their bottom worth is no less then bout $325. Yet I have not seen any on the ee beat to shit so they're being babied and holding value pretty well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got lucky and bought my nearly new Pro with tan cover and a Wilcox mount out of a local pawn shop for $275. For $400 I'd rather just spend a little more and get a single AA battery Comp M4.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top