Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2013 8:52:23 PM EDT
Hey All,

I am looking for a Red Dot / Holographic and a flip to the side 3x Magnifier combo to put on a low cost AR I have built. I don't want to spend more than $200-400. The optics can be a paired set (from the same manufacturer) or mixed, as long as they don't need special risers to match heights. The AR is a flat top picatinny rail.

The recommendations can even be cheap ones with good optics and then a separate recommendation for a sturdy flip-up replacement as one of the biggest complaints I have read for low cost optics is how the mounts are not solid.

For example, if these are a good combo (UTG DS3840W & UTG New Gen 4inch 3x Magnifier w/ Flip-to-side Picatinny Mount), but the flip mount is loose, maybe a replacement recommendation for a strong flip mount that could be used on the optic as a replacement.

I just don't know a lot about low cost optics, but I want to keep the complete cost of this AR under $800 if I can and I have spent $510 so far.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My buddy just got one of these. I'm now considering it. it has excellent reviews. The HD Gen 3
hhttp://www.mylucidgear.com/reddotsights.php
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:12:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Primary Arms micro and magnifier

Nikon P223 with Primary Arms mount

Weaver 1-3x with Primary Arms mount (this set up is on my MP15-22)

Bushnell TRS-25 and PA magnifier

Link Posted: 10/28/2013 1:47:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all!

Anyone else have experience with optics from Sightmark or UTG or Ultimate Arms? They are very low end low cost optics, just don't know if they are even worth the money. I am only using the optics for target practice and some course running. So the intent was to keep the cost low,  but get as much info as I could from others about the best bang for low cost optics.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 3:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My buddy just got one of these. I'm now considering it. it has excellent reviews. The HD Gen 3
hhttp://www.mylucidgear.com/reddotsights.php
View Quote

1.  Is that cheap chinese junk?
2. are people really paying THOSE prices for cheap chinese junk? !
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 4:29:06 AM EDT
[#6]
just a thought but have you considered something like the 1x4 power leupold mark ar mod 1 scope with the fire dot reticle? it should be pretty close to your budget and you wont need any flip up anything.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:24:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
just a thought but have you considered something like the 1x4 power leupold mark ar mod 1 scope with the fire dot reticle? it should be pretty close to your budget and you wont need any flip up anything.
View Quote

I had not! Let me look them up and see about them, thanks!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:33:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Check Primary Arms for their red dot and a magnifier from them.

Or their 1-6x variable scope is also in your price range and will fit the bill.

PA Micro dot WITH American Defense QD mount
PA 3x Magnifier with mount choices
PA 6x Magnifier with mount options
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 6:51:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

^ This.  True scopes have vastly superior field of view and brightness compared to magnifiers behind a red dot optic.  It's a matter if optic design.

For this very reason, Trijicon is rolling out its new 1-6x VCOG combat optic for the military.  If you want to see the future of combat optics for CQB and on out to medium engagement range, it is VCOG or whatever emerges in a similar style from its competition.  At $2,270 retail, it is beyond what most of us can afford.

The Leupold mentioned above is an affordable alternative.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

^ This.  True scopes have vastly superior field of view and brightness compared to magnifiers behind a red dot optic.  It's a matter if optic design.

For this very reason, Trijicon is rolling out its new 1-6x VCOG combat optic for the military.  If you want to see the future of combat optics for CQB and on out to medium engagement range, it is VCOG or whatever emerges in a similar style from its competition.  At $2,270 retail, it is beyond what most of us can afford.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, that VCOG is nice!

Yeah, I have one of these, but it took a long time to save up for it. I run it on my PTR91 most of the time.

Acog 3.5 X 35 Scope Dual Illuminated Crosshair .308 Ballistic Reticle

Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey All,

I am looking for a Red Dot / Holographic and a flip to the side 3x Magnifier combo to put on a low cost AR I have built. I don't want to spend more than $200-400. The optics can be a paired set (from the same manufacturer) or mixed, as long as they don't need special risers to match heights. The AR is a flat top picatinny rail.

The recommendations can even be cheap ones with good optics and then a separate recommendation for a sturdy flip-up replacement as one of the biggest complaints I have read for low cost optics is how the mounts are not solid.

For example, if these are a good combo (UTG DS3840W & UTG New Gen 4inch 3x Magnifier w/ Flip-to-side Picatinny Mount), but the flip mount is loose, maybe a replacement recommendation for a strong flip mount that could be used on the optic as a replacement.

I just don't know a lot about low cost optics, but I want to keep the complete cost of this AR under $800 if I can and I have spent $510 so far.

Thanks guys!
View Quote

Like someone else said man, scour the EE. Bide your time. I picked up a nice EOTech from the EE at a great price. You're better off putting some cash and patience toward it than jumping into something cheap now. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Primary Arms micro and magnifier

Nikon P223 with Primary Arms mount

Weaver 1-3x with Primary Arms mount (this set up is on my MP15-22)

Bushnell TRS-25 and PA magnifier

View Quote

Yup, that's pretty much it in your price range.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top