Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/25/2013 6:12:44 AM EDT
I pulled my rifle out of the safe today and when I went to turn on my Eotech 512 it would not work. I popped open the battery compartment and found a spring and rubber piece attached to the positive terminal of one battery. I replaced the batteries along with the pieces that came out of the sight and it's working now. My concern is that the dead batteries I replaced had not been used but for a short time and they were less than six months old.

What advice would you give me in this matter? The sight is too old to be under warranty so I would have to incur the costs to repair it if I sent it back. I probably could glue the rubber back in place or just be sure not to lose this piece when changing batteries. It does not explain why the batteries died prematurely.

Here is what I'm talking about.

Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:16:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Common issues.

You can buy a replacement battery box from Brownells.

As for batteries draining, you should store your Eotech with out batteries.  Insert the batteries before use and remove the batteries after use.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Common issues.

As for batteries draining, you should store your Eotech with out batteries.  Insert the batteries before use and remove the batteries after use.
View Quote

The whole purpose of having this sight is it being ready to grab in a moments notice. I don't have time to put in batteries when the SHTF.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Common issue with older EoTechs. If you ask them nicely I bet they will fix it for you free of charge.

Oh it isn't a battery issue you can leave the lithium batteries in for as long as you like. Alkaline are the ones you shouldn't leave in electronic equipment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#4]
You can get a battery compartment repair kit here for $5. Money well spent and way faster than shipping it off. once inserted will not come out with the batteries. The fact that the o ring and spring came out is no big deal at all. As long as the spring is long enough it doesnt matter. I replaced mine with the repair kit just so I woulnt have to fiddle with or loose pieces when changing batteries. Your eotech should give you between 600 and 1000 hours of constant on so maybe you just need better batteries.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Any idea where to find a battery compartment for a FDE 553?
Edit: apparently I need sleep, I see there's one in the Brownells link above.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact Eotech.  I had same thing happen and they sent me out a free repair/upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't need the whole compartment. You really don't need anything but that little rubber piece towards the bottom of the page in that link will save you some head ache. Your eotech is fine and will function fine. Those little rubber things and screws can be a pian sometimes though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Common issue with older EoTechs. If you ask them nicely I bet they will fix it for you free of charge.

Oh it isn't a battery issue you can leave the lithium batteries in for as long as you like. Alkaline are the ones you shouldn't leave in electronic equipment.
View Quote

Yeah, not free. Just got mine back from service. $79. Not bad considering something from Primary Arms would have cost about the same, but definitely not free.

And mine was an issue with lithiums. Two sets gone in 6 days. I tried alkalines, even rechargables. Each time the set was depleted in three days.

I sent it in wrapped in bubble wrap, with no mounting screws. It came back in a Styrofoam tray in a box with both types of screws, new batteries, and a new set of instructions. It took about two weeks from the time I sent it until I got it back. Just got it back yesterday so I'll check it in a day or two to make sure it's fixed.

ETA: I had already bought the upgraded springs, and had replaced the contacts on the sight itself, but I kind of wonder if they wouldn't have replaced them too for the same $79 repair fee.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't waste the time or money having eotech repair it (even if they charge nothing for the repair there are still shipping costs).

Throw it away and get an Aimpoint. After that, the next time you reach for your rifle, it will be ready to use.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 1:34:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Contact them for a kit to repair it, it's free. I had to have them send around 50 for the rifles we use at work, this is a big issue that they are aware of. They will also send a replacement contact that that is used where the battery contacts the eotech itself. it. This will need to be replaced if it starts shutting off during recoil.

I strongly discourage anyone from buying that model eotech after seeing all of the issues with them. The newer versions may be better, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 4:38:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

You don't need the whole compartment. You really don't need anything but that little rubber piece towards the bottom of the page in that link will save you some head ache. Your eotech is fine and will function fine. Those little rubber things and screws can be a pian sometimes though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the same for the 553? I'll call them Monday and see what they can do.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Repair.
Sell.
Buy Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#13]
$4.99 from Brownells

100-008-122WB
512/552 PRE 2009 BATTERY COMP REPAIR KIT

Mfr Part: 92107A

I upgraded two of mine with these and they are currently in stock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Just to be clear, none of the free or 5.99 fixes will fix the problem with the batteries running down.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just to be clear, none of the free or 5.99 fixes will fix the problem with the batteries running down.

View Quote

No surprise.
Springs have no current draw or drain.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 1:55:27 PM EDT
[#16]
i had the same battery drain problem with a 512. and yes i used the energizer lithiums. i would put in a fresh set, and in a few weeks when i turn it on, the reticle would flash indicating it was low on power the 512 ended up taking a crap internally( eotech said it was a faulty epoxy job inside) and had to send it in for repair. sold it when i got it back
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:16:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Oh this again.........Older 512's have this problem.  The only fix for the battery drain is to send it in to get newer electronics installed.
512's after 08 should have the fix in them. I've had 512's from 09+ & never once had a battery or spring problem.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:40:03 AM EDT
[#18]
The spring and rubber change is a mechanical revision and a $5 fix or possible free if you call Eotech.

If the batteries are going dead ( discharging) its likely a bad or leaking diode on the circuit board.
That would be a factory fix unless you are circuit board savvy.

ALL electronics are subject to failure due to handling / conditions or just component failure on its own.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:56:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The whole purpose of having this sight is it being ready to grab in a moments notice. I don't have time to put in batteries when the SHTF.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Common issues.

That's why God gave us aimpoints.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top